Outgassing Mattresses/which one to buy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
We are moving dd out of the family bed and into her own bed, at her own request. I need to get a new mattress for the bed we already have. Any suggestions on good mattresses that don't cost a fortune? We cannot afford to buy her an organic mattress right now but I want to get something as natural as possible and then figure out how to outgas it before we set her up in her new bed. Thanks for any suggestions.
#2 of 6 Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 PM

I did this same search a couple months ago, there really wasn't anything I could find except Latex and organic, which I couldnt afford.

We ended up with a foam one from Ikea, they use a different kind of fire retardant that isnt Brominated. They are also just starting to get more affordable latex mattresses.
The one we got was about 120, the one I was going to get was latex and wool and cost around 220, but the lady there that day thought it was too firm for a toddler.

I let it sit in the garage for about a week before setting it up.

Its the best I could do for her on a budget...
#3 of 6 Old 10-31-2006, 12:24 PM

Before you go crazy trying to find a "gas free" mattress, check out some links I looked up regarding the SIDS and gassy mattress connection...
http://www.joannabk.com/babyblog/200...swrapping.html

I also wrote a separate post trying to find out the "deal" with outgassing mattresses... FWIW I haven't been able to find a single verifiable source that mattresses have toxic fumes, aside from everyone sort of just "knowing" they do.
http://www.joannabk.com/babyblog/200...attresses.html

Anyways, just trying to add to the information superhighway! Good luck whatever you decide
#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2006, 04:53 PM

Whether the chemicals used as flame retardents in matresses cause SIDS or not is certainly up to debate, and one needs to make a personal decision on whether they believe there is a risk. What is certain is that these chemicals are showing up in womans breast milk and in newborn babies cord blood. Many of these chemicals are known carcenigens and are illegal in European countries. These chemicals can affect the reproductive systems and nervous systems and can cause birth defects. A tiny newborn baby is much more at risk as the chemical input is heavier on thier low body weight and developing systems. An immune comprimised baby is even more at risk. There are NO SAFETY STANDARDS for these chemicals on mattresses. And these chemicals are found on EVERYTHING made for baby. Car seats, strollers, clothing, all stuffed animals and yes crib mattresses. Babies are being saturated with these chemicals. Formaldehyde being one of the big ones. Do an internet search on the health risks of formaldehyde and see if you want your precious baby exposed to this every moment of the day. What I know is the cancer rate is skyrocketing and something is causing it. Could it be the known cancer causing chemicals we are saturating ourselves with from the moment we are born?
What can you do? Buying used baby equipment means they have already offgassed. Washing clothing, car seat padding ect with a cup of vinegar in the wash load can help remove these chemicals, but that does not work on a mattress. Organic is undoubtably the best option. It may seem expensive but the knowledge that your family is sleeping for 8 hours a night NOT breathing in these chemicals is worth the investment in the long run. Ikea products have less of these chemicals than any non-organic manufacturer because they have adopted the strict european standards, so they are a better budget choice than just purchasing a standard poison mattress. In my opinion, this is a huge risk and I will not let my child be a guinnea pig for the money hungry chemical corporations.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#5 of 6 Old 11-04-2006, 05:03 PM

oh yes, i meant to post some links....

http://www.whatcomwatch.org/php/WW_open.php?id=740

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20031025/bob10.asp

http://www.earthshare.org/RadioPSA05...GroupStudy.pdf

I should also mention that all this being said, BREAST IS STILL THE HEALTHIEST FOR YOUR BABY! the chemicals found in cows are no better and breast milk helps build the immunities needed to build a healthy immune system.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#6 of 6 Old 11-04-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their responses. We are getting dd a natural cotton/wool blend mattress. While not organiclly grown the materials are listed as untreated. The company was very helpful in terms of outgassing information. DD is 6 and has asthma and is very sensitive to smells and chemicals that the rest of us don't even notice, so we took her to the factory to "meet" her bed in person. DS is getting a natural fiber futon for the bottom of their bunk bed. Our bed is covered with organic pads and sheets and allergy-proof covers, so we are hoping that the new babe will sleep comfortably and chemically free.

I appreciate your help and especially your links.

In peace,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page