Small house thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 790 Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in the middle of redoing the kitchen. For the last 7 years I have had one small counter (which was covered in some weird, non-food safe tile) and very limited cabinets. I know have SO MUCH MORE SPACE!!!! I am very excited, but we are so far from done and the rest of our space is cramped in the meantime.

We were supposed to do it over the holidays when dh had some time off and I wasn't so busy with homeschool stuff but we were all so sick that we couldn't do it. Now we only have Saturdays. It is going to be a LONG project

#302 of 790 Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM

freerangemama
got any pix to share? i LOVE kitchen redos

we're getting ready to move into our new small house. we close escrow wednesday!!!

any rec's for portable dishwashers?

we have a small space for an 18" or we can get a full size and have it bounce around the kitchen LOL
#303 of 790 Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
freerangemama
got any pix to share? i LOVE kitchen redos
I have step-by-step photos I am just waiting until it is all done (if that ever happens) to put them all together. I love renos too! I have such a long list of stuff I want to do!

Congrats on the new house. It is so exciting to get all moved in!

#304 of 790 Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM

We live in a very vanilla builders spec house in a very cookie cutter development. I'm looking for ways to add architectural details. I've painted, but wonder about other ways to beef it up. My dh doesn't have time for builds so I'd have to do it (not!) or hire it out. Suggestions.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#305 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
Other countries (and generations before us) have/had small spaces, 1 bathroom, tiny bedrooms, etc. kids shared bedrooms, houses were (are) tiny. why do i have it in my head that we all NEED space?? personal space, space for stuff, etc etc.
That is true...homes generations ago were built small and families managed just fine! Like our home! It was built in 1952. It's 1250sq ft bungalow w/ 3 small bds and 1 tiny ba but it has a pretty big yard. Families in the 50's didn't really need a big house because they spent most of their time outdoors and when they were indoors, they were always spending time in close proximity to each other and that's what we love! We love spending time together as a family, the boys love sharing a room and we spend a lot of time outdoors! This home fits our lifestyle perfectly. Homes nowadays are being built huge with tiny backyard...I don't think that is promoting a very healthy lifestyle...families probably tend to spend more time apart and less time outdoors...

Also in my opinion, if I had a bigger house, I would have more junk and more clutter, which would equal more stress.

We our old, small home!
#306 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover View Post
That is true...homes generations ago were built small and families managed just fine! Like our home! It was built in 1952. It's 1250sq ft bungalow w/ 3 small bds and 1 tiny ba but it has a pretty big yard. Families in the 50's didn't really need a big house because they spent most of their time outdoors and when they were indoors, they were always spending time in close proximity to each other and that's what we love! We love spending time together as a family, the boys love sharing a room and we spend a lot of time outdoors! This home fits our lifestyle perfectly. Homes nowadays are being built huge with tiny backyard...I don't think that is promoting a very healthy lifestyle...families probably tend to spend more time apart and less time outdoors...

Also in my opinion, if I had a bigger house, I would have more junk and more clutter, which would equal more stress.

We our old, small home!
I think you have got that right. I realize our house is not all that small, just your average 1950 cape cod style. It also means our neighborhood is full of similar houses inhabited by people we know, not strangers. This is usually a good thing.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#307 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 PM

I rent a small home, but I can't tell how small! I don't own a tape measure longer than 3 feet When I read the ad for the place, I remember my landlord mentioning something like 800 sq feet but I can't figure out how the place is that small! We have three bedrooms (two pretty small), a spacious-by-my-standards living room, and one room smaller than the living room divided into kitchen and eating area.

I really do love it, but of course I don't like the lack of storage. My office, which should be like my sanctuary, holds ALL the extra stuff that doesn't have a home, like folding chairs, sleeping bags, Halloween stuff, etc.
#308 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I think you have got that right. I realize our house is not all that small, just your average 1950 cape cod style. It also means our neighborhood is full of similar houses inhabited by people we know, not strangers. This is usually a good thing.
What is beginning to fascinate me is that 1200 sq foot homes are beginning to be considered small. When we were house hunting, our friends were astounded that we'd consider a home less than 2000 sq feet.

We have 6 friends who purchased homes in the past 3 years. All of them bought homes that are 2000 sq feet or larger. One of them bought a 2 story home that's 3,500 sq feet with about 1000 ft of basement space (yet unfinished). . . for 2 people with a single child!

Our big step this week -- we got rid of our microwave. I've been campaigning to do it for awhile, but DH finally relented (we rarely used it, I don't know what his hangup was). I've doubled my counterspace! I actually really enjoy my kitchen at the moment.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#309 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"]That is true...homes generations ago were built small and families managed just fine! Like our home! It was built in 1952. It's 1250sq ft bungalow w/ 3 small bds and 1 tiny ba but it has a pretty big yard. Families in the 50's didn't really need a big house because they spent most of their time outdoors and when they were indoors, they were always spending time in close proximity to each other and that's what we love! We love spending time together as a family, the boys love sharing a room and we spend a lot of time outdoors! This home fits our lifestyle perfectly. Homes nowadays are being built huge with tiny backyard...I don't think that is promoting a very healthy lifestyle...families probably tend to spend more time apart and less time outdoors...

So true. I remember when I was younger we lived in a house that was MAYBE 1200 sf and I never thought it was small. There were 4 kids and we did 2 in each room. We spent tons of time out of doors. I think there's a whole mindset in the states that lends itself toward consumption and consumerism. I would be content to remain in our current home forever w/a few modifications...screening in the porch being the main one. But I get asked constantly about our plans to move...what will I do when dd is older etc...It can make it a challenge to march to the beat of your own drummer when you live where everyone is constantly buying or trying to get bigger and better.

#310 of 790 Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM

we live in a relatively small house. there are 4 soon to be 5 of us. we moved last year from our little 2br 800 some sf apt, so it seemed really big to us at first! we've got a decent sized yard, although it's long and narrow, which i don't really like, but there is a nice garden area and a storage shed, so that is really nice. i plan on making more outdoor living "spaces" this spring out there.

inside we've got 3br and 1 bath, which works really well right now. not sure what we'll do when the little one moves out of our bed! not sure about the boy/girl room sharing thing either. for a while ds had his room, but it was like a play room. we gave him the big room when we moved(he has a lot of really big play things!) and dd got the tiny 8x9ft room. we fixed it up really cute though and it's a really nice space for her.

for getting the big room, ds has to share his floor space and let dd in to play(we don't really have to make him, he's more than happy for company ). i'm stuck on where to put the new little one though. if it's a girl, i don't think sharing a room with a 9 or 10 yo big brother would work. lol dd's room is too small to even think about another bed or even a bigger one. even then, she will be 5.5 years older than this one. switching rooms will most likely end up the war of the worlds... so we'll have to get a bit creative there!

we're in planning stages for redoing our kitchen. it's a very large space, which is nice(14x14) but the lay out is just awful. and the washer and dryer are smack in the middle of my stove and fridge!(not built in and huge!) i really want to put in a nice big island and move some things around. we're just trying to plan and save as much as we can for it and do it a bit at a time.

i don't think we'll stay here forever. we really want to move out of town in the next 5+?? years, but for now our little house is working quite well for us. i have noticed it's getting crowded and i'm still trying to purge and declutter, but i think that will be an ongoing thing forever, reguardless of house size!

if we move, the only thing i would want more of is one more decent sized bedroom, and more outdoor space. the rest of our space fits us just fine. i honestly don't know what i'd do with myself in anything too much larger than this! i really like being close to my family when we are home together.
#311 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm a lover/hater of our "small" house. It's 625 up and 625 in the basement, which we've "mostly" finished. I laugh at it being small, though, because my SIL once rented a house when she was newly married that wasn't more than 300sq. ft. THAT, my friends, was rediculous!

One thing I love about our house is there are no hallways to waste space. Each bedroom connects to a main room. We also have 4 bedrooms, 2 baths. Two of the bedrooms we use as offices for our home based businesses, and the boys share the other bedroom. I'm not sure what we'll do with the new baby - it depends on weather it's a boy or a girl. I'm thinking bunkbeds eventually, but they're all a little young for that, yet.

Most furniture is too big for our house, and I now have a strict "one in, one out" policy for furniture. Most of what I have is old collectables - like my great grandmother's armoire and my MIL's old sewing cabinet.

Speaking of collectables, I should mention that my husband has lived in this house his whole life. His parents owned it before he bought it from them, and married him and moved in four years ago. Which means, of course, that he still has *everything* from his childhood, since he's never moved! he has all kinds of old toys, sports cards, comics, etc. I just wish he would sell them all (heck, he might even be able to stay home for a year or two on what he makes selling it all!), but he's constantly disappointed that none of them are worth thousands of dollars, and therefore won't sell any even though they're worth $30. ARGH! Think of the closet space I could reclaim!!!

Andrea, daughter of the King, wife of Neil, Mama to Jackson 7/4/05 Nicholas 12/21/06 Ezekiel 5/9/08 and due June 14!
#312 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM

OK, jumping in w/out reading a lot of the post. We are in a 1000 square foot home, and will be moving (fingers crossed) into something smaller next month. I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but I'm actually looking forward to having such a small kitchen. I feel like I spend way too much time cleaning and I hope a smaller space helps in that department.
#313 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM

We're a family of 6 in 1100 sqft and I wish we could go smaller, but more open. I love lofty ceilings, and my house has those low 1950's ceilings.

But we run a home business with a lot of equipment and it is essential to have this much room. I fantasize about living in a 700 - 800 sq ft one room loft.
#314 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM

we're moving in next thursday!

oooh a screened porch sounds perfect for us! as long as it ends up looking like this: LOL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raimist/147879599/

having a small space is interesting so far. when i mention it to certain people they light up and say they have a small house too. then we gab and gab about the benefits of being in a small space.

ive sold a ton of our furniture on craigslist this month so we're down to the basics. it feels so good!
#315 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

I'm learning to love our small house by redecorating it a little at a time. Our actual house is around 980 square feet, but we have an attached sunroom that adds another 175 square feet or so. The sunroom is great for the warmer months, but it's not insulated and the window AC unit can't keep it warm enough to use much in the colder months.

We have enough space for our family of 3 (and two dogs), but not really for company to come over to eat. If the sunroom was usable year-round as a dining room, it'd be just right.

Clutter is my biggest struggle--every flat surface gets piled with stuff. And my mom keeps buying me decorations for holidays, even though she knows I'm into decluttering and simplifying. She buys nice stuff, but I don't need anything else cluttering up the flat surfaces of our house!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#316 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM

so, where is everyone located?
oh, and are you in a city or rural?
#317 of 790 Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=MFuglei;10423887]What is beginning to fascinate me is that 1200 sq foot homes are beginning to be considered small. When we were house hunting, our friends were astounded that we'd consider a home less than 2000 sq feet. [QUOTE]

You are absolutely right! When friends found out we bought a 1250 sq ft house with NO master bathroom, they thought we were nuts...unfortunetely that is all we could afford at the time but we also thought it was a cute, cozy house. A lot of the bigger homes just feel too cold and big. One thing I do like about bigger homes however are their cathedral ceilings.
#318 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I'm in the suburbs outside of San Francisco.
#319 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM

We live in a small-ish house. It is around 1200 sf and there are five of us. No master bath. It was built in 1926 and is a bungalow. I love the history of it. We moved from an almost 4000 sf house. I love it and if I could convince my husband to go smaller I would. He misses the bigger house but I have no clue why. Maybe because he didn't have to clean it
#320 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
...It can make it a challenge to march to the beat of your own drummer when you live where everyone is constantly buying or trying to get bigger and better.
Oh I can totally relate!
#321 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I'm in Old Littleton, CO. Our neighborhood was built out in the early 1960s, so it's primarily 1,000 sq foot ranch homes.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#322 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I'm in Jamaica Plain, which is a neighborhood in Boston.
#323 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
we're in planning stages for redoing our kitchen. it's a very large space, which is nice(14x14) but the lay out is just awful. and the washer and dryer are smack in the middle of my stove and fridge!(not built in and huge!)
Will you need to keep the washer and dryer in the kitchen? If so and depending on your budget, you might want to consider under the counter models so you could have folding space or just plain counter space on top. They'd be more expensive but, given your lay out, perhaps very worth it! I know our Bosch pair will fit (we don't have the models that are easily available at big box home stores but you can get them at independent appliance stores) as would a Miele pair ($$$!) and I think Asko machines would fit. Good luck - I'd love to have our wash somewhere other than our basement!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#324 of 790 Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
Will you need to keep the washer and dryer in the kitchen? If so and depending on your budget, you might want to consider under the counter models so you could have folding space or just plain counter space on top. They'd be more expensive but, given your lay out, perhaps very worth it! I know our Bosch pair will fit (we don't have the models that are easily available at big box home stores but you can get them at independent appliance stores) as would a Miele pair ($$$!) and I think Asko machines would fit. Good luck - I'd love to have our wash somewhere other than our basement!
thanks for the idea! sadly, there is no other place to fit a washer/dryer. i was totally going to splurge on a washer/dryer combo that would fit under a cabinet.... but these were a brand new gift from dh's grandparents last year when we moved in. "front loaders don't work!" was the answer i got when i suggested it to them when they asked what kind i wanted. so anyway, i think i'm stuck with them.

it is very convient having them right there and easily accessible though! now really convient would be to have them upstairs in the bathroom! i do like being able to throw all our kitchen rags and things right in there. it's also very easy to take the clothes right outside to hang up in the warm weather.
#325 of 790 Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Here in Arlington, VA we have a ton of smaller Colonial style homes that were built in the 40's and 50's, and a local builder decided to remodel one as an Idea House and put it on the market fully furnished (by Ikea). The house is 1800 square feet total with 2 (possibly 3) bedrooms and 3.5 baths (so many, I know!) and fully furnished by a design team at a local university.

You can see pictures here: http://www.yeonasandellis.com/WilsonGalleryPhotos.html

The Washington Post wrote an article about it here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020101688.html

I'm not so into the contemporary style nor the curtains dragging on the floor everywhere, and I think the couch in the living room is too big and not the way I would have gone towards furnishing that room of the house, but I really dug the idea and the size of the house. I visited the open house today.

Maybe this is the start of a new trend towards recycling smaller older homes?

Maybe not, as the same company is planning to build 4 mammoth size houses on the lots surrounding this house that they 'saved'?

Anyway, hope that you enjoy looking!

-dflanag2
#326 of 790 Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks, that was a nice look around. Not my style, but I can apreciate the uncluttered look.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#327 of 790 Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 PM

The idea house is very nice, but like the pp said...not my style.

#328 of 790 Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Nice house! You could fit 2 of my houses in it It is always great when people see the value in redoing older homes instead of just building new. And I am kind of an Ikea junky :

#329 of 790 Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 PM

That house seemed huge to me! I know it's not, though, compared to what gets built now.
#330 of 790 Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM

flickr'd pix of our mini renovation:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reginal...7602149975815/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page