Small house thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 790 Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should do a major declutter then reassess your space. I know we end up feeling cramped sometimes but it's because we have to much stuff, the house is really messy or we're stressed in other areas.

DH and I have talked about the same issue with the rooms. I really want a big family, three or four kids, but we've only got two extra rooms. I agree with you that you can make it work but my DH is like yours and isn't so sure. I've thought about it a lot and maybe planning a little alone time in the room, for each kid not just the boy and girl combo might work as they get older. That's what I kinda planned, but I've only got one dd at the moment so I have no idea if that would work IRL. I've just got ideas at the moment no experience.

sabrinat -- what about space outside, are they safe playing?? do you have a big yard or are you nearby any parks?? I think that adds to you space with lots of kids b/c they've got more room to run.

Thats the one and only thing I don't like about our house, we don't have much room outside that's safe for playing. We were only allowed to fence in a small part of our already tiny yard b/c we've got a street on one side of us. It's not a busy street (only two families use it at the moment) but I'm not comfortable with kids playing outside of the fence b/c we've got a couple crazies around at the moment (the cops were out here the other night b/c during an argument these people started shooting their guns : ) How can I feel comfortable with her playing outside when that stuff is going on.

OK back on topic, I say purge a bunch of stuff then see if it still feels too small. Good luck!!!

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#62 of 790 Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 AM

subbing.
#63 of 790 Old 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM

OK so I've been getting rid of tons of stuff the past few days and the house already feels more roomy and open. I'm loving it.

I love Christmas but I'm kinda glad the season is almost over so I can put the decorations away. I've decided I'm going to get rid of a few of the directions after this season. I hate that two weeks after I put my stuff up I'm overwhelmed by it all and want to take it down. That is not what Christmas is about, so I'm going to only keep the stuff that I really love and has a speical meaning to me.

DH has even agreed to go through the garage and get stuff out for the garage sale. I'm so ready to have some extra room in there. I feel like every time I open the car door I bang into something and I can't get around at all if the car is actually parked in the garage.

#64 of 790 Old 12-19-2006, 04:12 PM

I'm not in a small house, but rather a 900sq/ft apartment. Hopefully this time next year it'll be a house though
#65 of 790 Old 12-26-2006, 01:42 AM

I'm really proud of the fact that my children had a wonderful christmas and I managed to pay cash for all the gift (no credit cards used, woohoo!) and I managed to get things that won't contribute too much to making the space feel small or cluttered! Everyone seems happy and dh is off the week so we're going to work on some home improvement projects. I'm excited to get some stuff done around here in my ongoing process to make our home as wonderful as possible for us all!
Hope your holiday is and was wonderful in your small home too!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#66 of 790 Old 12-26-2006, 02:49 AM

Wow- Sabrina- I was going to post nearly the same thing!

No charged gifts- no junk to have to manage in the kids room- an awesome xmas.
#67 of 790 Old 12-26-2006, 03:41 AM

Our house is 1200 sq.ft. plus a finished basement and nice backyard. I don't mind the size, it is more the layout (It's not the heat- it's the humidity ). The previous owners did a great job with the basement and upstairs bedrooms. They added lots of storage, another bathroom and skylights, which make the bedrooms seem much bigger. However, the main floor is very segmented and the tiny rooms are starting to make me crazy.

I love that it is easy to clean and the space forces me to declutter. The main drawback is that we traded space for accessibility so we still pay an outrageous mortage.
My dream is an open, 1600 sq.ft. house with a family room instead of a finished basement in an affordable city OR a small highrise condo in Vancouver or Sidney

As for entertaining- parties in the summer are no problem, but we are definitely cozy in the winter. It is funny though because most of our friends here happen to be our neighbors and they all have tiny houses as well. We just send the kids down the basement and it works out fine.
#68 of 790 Old 12-26-2006, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I live in a house that is 2500 square feet. It takes days to clean and it is so tiring.

I miss my little 890 square foot home. So easy and cozy.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#69 of 790 Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I live in a house that is 2500 square feet. It takes days to clean and it is so tiring.

I miss my little 890 square foot home. So easy and cozy.
Isn't it funny about wistfulness? When you have a small house you wish for a big house and when you have a big house you wish for a small one

#70 of 790 Old 12-27-2006, 04:18 PM

Subbing! There are six of us crammed into our little 3 bedroom 1200 sf. townhome. (My mom lives with us too) Honestly, it's not so bad, but we will need one more bedroom eventually. We don't have a lot of stuff, but we are crammed in here like sardines. I love it. I've always lived in little houses and I think a big place would freak me out.
#71 of 790 Old 12-27-2006, 07:04 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=531660

Have you all been reading this thread as well? Under 600 Sq feet
#72 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 AM

That is one of my favorite threads. I also love her blog. The link is in her sig. She is very inspiring.

Does anyone have anymore helpful storage tips??

#73 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 AM

I'm not sure what kind of storage you're talking about, but I went and got those closet organizer things for all of my closets.. They are a HUGE asset..not only can we store twice the clothing, but they also work as shelves so I keep toys, rubbermaid bins full of stored items, paperwork ect in them.

I also use those hanging fabric shoe shelve things for storing the kids clothes and all of my yarn.

It's all about shelving. I tell ya.
#74 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 01:53 AM

Nothing specific I'm just always looking for tips.

Thanks for sharing about your closets. We use the shoe organizer too, keeps things off the floor.

One thing I like are the unfinished crates you can get at the craft store. We use them for bookshelves and they can be stacked lots of different ways to fit the space you have.

Do you think it would work to store extra blankets under the couch cushions?? (I bet you could even store beach towels if you were really desperate for closet space) We have mostly pretty quilts on a rack but I'm just thinking out loud here. I love the flylady tip about storing things where you use them. I know I mentioned earlier about moving my extra sheets under the mattress.

I'm also in the process of making a fabric bag for my down comforter out of dollar a yard flannel. I've heard you're supposed to let the fabric breath therefor the plastic bags are a bad idea. We'll see how that works out. My thinking behind it is that it won't be in a crumpled mess on the shelf and if it falls down I won't have to refold it. Plus I think it would look a lot nicer that just folded.

#75 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
Do you think it would work to store extra blankets under the couch cushions?? (I bet you could even store beach towels if you were really desperate for closet space) We have mostly pretty quilts on a rack but I'm just thinking out loud here. I love the flylady tip about storing things where you use them. I know I mentioned earlier about moving my extra sheets under the mattress.
I just went and put my folded pile of living room blankets under my couch cushions!!! It works. Thanks for the great idea. I love this. I can hide them from my children who have a certain affinity for unfolding blankets and dragging them around the house.
#76 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
I'm not sure what kind of storage you're talking about, but I went and got those closet organizer things for all of my closets.. They are a HUGE asset..not only can we store twice the clothing, but they also work as shelves so I keep toys, rubbermaid bins full of stored items, paperwork ect in them.
What closet system did you get?

#77 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Hi, can I play?

We live in an apartment that is less than 500 spare feet. It's me, DH, an almost 3 year old, and a almost 1 year old. And our dog.

We're moving (this weekend!!!!!), to a duplex that is more like 1000 square feet, I think. But it has a staircase,which takes up alot of room. I'm so excited to have a *huge* place to spread out it!
#78 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Don't have a small space, but I think the biggest thing she did in that small apartment was USE the space she had well!! Obsiously, no clutter. With a bigger house we have everywhere in the world to put clutter, tons of closets, full basement, full attic, etc....but why is all this crap out and visible???? : I sit here on the computer wishfully thinking about having someone like her come arrange my space/decorate/make my house beautiful. I think that's partly why I let it get cluttered. I really don't "like" anything I have....even though, I think I'm pretty content. I just need to make the space MINE. No idea how, though.
#79 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happygirls View Post
I just need to make the space MINE. No idea how, though.
I have this problem too and I think part of it stems from the fact that I find few things really so beautiful or whatnot that I want to own them, that I want to commit to them so to speak. I have bought so many things I thought I liked in my life that later I didn't that I feel like I'm waiting to find the right piece, and as a result I have blank walls, etc.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#80 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
I just went and put my folded pile of living room blankets under my couch cushions!!! It works. Thanks for the great idea. I love this. I can hide them from my children who have a certain affinity for unfolding blankets and dragging them around the house.
I'm glad it worked!!! I need to walk around and see if I can think up anything else.

#81 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM

Me too, me too!! Then I end up with a bunch of things that don't go together. For example, the lids she had hanging on her wall, or the trays in the kitchen. I may have one of those things and something else similar, but a diff. style/color....then I hesitate, b/c I know things look better in groupings. I TRIED with some plates/platters I had and thought, "get 'em up there, then go back and add to it". Well, that never happened, b/c of afore mentioned problem of not wanting to commit to something. Then I ended up with two silly little plates on a HUGE wall....I was always embarassed by them, but it took me forever to take them down. Now that wall is BLANK!!
#82 of 790 Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3happygirls View Post
I think that's partly why I let it get cluttered. I really don't "like" anything I have....even though, I think I'm pretty content. I just need to make the space MINE. No idea how, though.

That is one thing I did do right. I'm the queen of the thrift stores and bargains, but every piece I have I really do love. Very little of my possession are new, but they were all slowly acquired and well planned out. Sometimes I've brought things in that didn't quite work, but I think I'm at a point w/the furniture and decor that I'm pretty pleased. Like I love midcentury stuff, but wouldn't want to have an entire home like that...so I've settled on a sort of flea market chic meets modern design style.

#83 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 AM

I also was totally inspired by that blog and the pics. I am going to re-double my efforts at decluttering.

So New Years Resolution #1...

to get stuff up on the walls -- and get rid of the rest. I have been painting off and on for over a year and still have pictures etc. leaning against the walls and taking up space in closets.

Now if I could just find those hanging hooks and the nails....
#84 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
That is one of my favorite threads. I also love her blog. The link is in her sig. She is very inspiring.

Does anyone have anymore helpful storage tips??
I use a lot of over-door shoe hangers. We have one filled with barbies and barbie stuff and another filled with craft supplies, scissors, tape, etc. (I copied from another friend on this one...) I found that tupperware boxes don't really work as everything ends up mixed together...
#85 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflictedmama View Post
I use a lot of over-door shoe hangers.
I love these things, but dh hates 'em. If I could figure out some way to secure the bottom edge to the door so it didn't swing freely and bang back into the door, I think he wouldn't gripe so much about them. Hmmm. Maybe double-sided sticky tape? Or thumbtacks?

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#86 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 PM

I live in a 1600sq ft house and I find some rooms cluttered and we have 2 rooms not even being used. The den (w/a fireplace) is empty of furniture except for a bench by the door for shoes, that room was recently gutted and has yet to be painted, but almost finished. We have a dining room as well that is not being used, and we cannot afford to furnish those rooms. The house is from 1885, so needless to say every room needs to be gutted and resheetrocked. Currently our nursery is gutted down to the studs and now open to the attic! But luckily we can close the door and not see it. I doubt it will be done by my March due date. Storage is nice, we have a one car garage, unfinished unfinishable fieldstone basement, two bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, so all and all it is a house we can definitely grow into. I would love to get rid of all the 70's panelling and aweful wallpaper, but we can only work at one room at a time. So far we have the kitchen and den almost completed and the nursery. Plus a guest bedroom/office and hallway with lead paint, we need to take care of soon. Right now it is only me, DH and the first on the way.
#87 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather423 View Post
I live in a 1600sq ft house and I find some rooms cluttered and we have 2 rooms not even being used. The den (w/a fireplace) is empty of furniture except for a bench by the door for shoes, that room was recently gutted and has yet to be painted, but almost finished. We have a dining room as well that is not being used, and we cannot afford to furnish those rooms. The house is from 1885, so needless to say every room needs to be gutted and resheetrocked. Currently our nursery is gutted down to the studs and now open to the attic! But luckily we can close the door and not see it. I doubt it will be done by my March due date. Storage is nice, we have a one car garage, unfinished unfinishable fieldstone basement, two bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, so all and all it is a house we can definitely grow into. I would love to get rid of all the 70's panelling and aweful wallpaper, but we can only work at one room at a time. So far we have the kitchen and den almost completed and the nursery. Plus a guest bedroom/office and hallway with lead paint, we need to take care of soon. Right now it is only me, DH and the first on the way.
Your house sounds great and like a fun opportunity to put your own stamp on it!

#88 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
That is one thing I did do right. I'm the queen of the thrift stores and bargains, but every piece I have I really do love. Very little of my possession are new, but they were all slowly acquired and well planned out. Sometimes I've brought things in that didn't quite work, but I think I'm at a point w/the furniture and decor that I'm pretty pleased. Like I love midcentury stuff, but wouldn't want to have an entire home like that...so I've settled on a sort of flea market chic meets modern design style.
Pics? My problem is I don't know what I like furniture-wise. I don't even know what "mid-century" means. I have a real hodge-podge of furniture. Sure, I can go into a furniture store and see a whole set that comes complete with the type of decor you need to go with it, but I don't have that kind of dough!!! I have a HUGE vintage couch from my in-laws (circa 1971), that I'm sure someone could make look really cool. A couch from MY parents that was white with pink flowers ! I slipcovered that. Anyway....maybe I'll post pics of my house and someone would be kind enough to tell me what to do. I have a friend that's an "interior decorator" that says , "I think it looks fine" just to make me feel good. I need someone to rearrange stuff for me with WHAT I HAVE. I don't have the $$$ to go buy all new stuff. I really don't have the eye for the Goodwill either.
#89 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 04:12 PM

Our house is only 900 square feet. It's a 1 1/2 storey cape cod, built in 1947. Plus we have a basement that is very damp, and several crawl spaces upstairs, and some itty bitty closets. We also have a nice big backyard, and front yard. There is me, my DH, 3 year old DS and 1 year old dd, a cat, a yellow lab, and two chickens. I run a home daycare, so I turned our dining room into a playroom, so now our dining room table is in our living room. Our biggest problem is definitely clutter, and all our furniture is hand-me down and waaaaay too big! For instance, I fantasized about having a lazyboy while I was pregnant with DD, with NO intention of fulfilling that fantasy, as we just do not have the space. My ILs went and bought me a huge blue velour one! It was really, really thoughtful, but it is way too big for my tiny livingroom . Plus, my mom recovered my too big curb-find sofa for me, and she did a beautiful job, and it took her months to do it. So, I feel guilty about thinking about getting rid of these items. So much money and thought went into them. I have no problem purging other stuff.

I want some smaller scale furniture for sure!:
#90 of 790 Old 12-29-2006, 04:45 PM

An over the door shoe rack, why didn't I think of that! Of all the places our house feels really small, its the front door (and this is the door we come in through). The front door swings open with Zero clearance to the stairs (so when its open its touching hte stairs and the coat closet is behind the front door directly at the bottom of the stairs, so the front door has to be closed to open the coat closet and neither can be opened if anything is at the bottom of the stairs, which is further complicated by the fact that we have a gate on the other side, so needless to say its a tight space to get in and find your shoes, in the pile. And there is no light there or in the closet, so its very dark. But If I put a shoe organizer on the door of the closet, then our shoes would be more accessible and would free up the floor space of the closet for other things (or at least for more organized boots)

I'd also like to find a way to put my daughter's coat in a place where she can reach it and put it away, currently it gets hung up but that is too high for her to reach. If I put the shoe organizer low enough, the kids can put their shoes on it, and get one of those hanging cloth shoe organizers cubby things for hats and mittens, but what could I do with the kids coats?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page