Small house thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 790 Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn lisa View Post
That's for me, dh, 22m dd and another due in June. And a cat and a bunny.

The hardest is running my jewelry design (and production---that's the part that takes space!) business from here. In our last place I had my own office, dh had a little music studio--and that space was only 1000 sq ft total.

But it's a relative here in nyc, I feel rich due to our backyard which is a rarity here and is probably 12 times the size of my apartment!

You guys would seriously PASS OUT if you know what we paid here. SERIOUSLY. Full discloser---the space was really 700 sq ft but we chopped off the front to make a little storefront (for dh's business). But it's still a residential rental.

Anyway, the flylady did help me when dd was born. I have my routines and that makes all the difference. And we just dont have that much "stuff" compared to other people.

Ideally, I'd like to end up in a smallish house someday, hopefully upstate, tucked away in the woods but not too far from a nice progressive community. Maybe 1500 sq ft, depending on the size of our family.
we lived in san franciso, so i can imagine!!
any pix to share??
#242 of 790 Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM

For those that don't have a seperate living and family room what do you do with toys?? We visited a friend yesterday and she has an upstairs room that was ment to be a media room. They use it as a living room, a tv, two couches, tons of bookshelves and a large area the kids could trash just for toys. They leave all the toys in this room, and can't take any in their own room.

I really liked the idea and it left her downstairs family room looking so nice. Here people walk right into our living room and it's toy central. DD is still little so she doesn't want to go and play in her room by herself. She brings everything out into the living room. I would love a really small family room that people would walk into and at the back of the house a big room that looked more lived in.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#243 of 790 Old 01-04-2008, 04:35 PM

toys- This isn't the best picture but http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/2135828899/

DH made this for dd1 this holiday (it's, ummmm, not entirely done ). The front is a play kitchen with oven and stove top and there are shelves inside the oven. The back is a 4 shelf bookcase for her books. The side you can see in the picture has knobs for play clothes (there are fabric bags that hang from the knobs to hold play clothes). The far side is painted with chalkboard paint (as is the oven door inside and out, eventually the knob side will be too) and it has a fold out puppet stage. Stuffed animals "live" on dd1's bed but books and toys live in this play center.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#244 of 790 Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM

There are five of us in about 1100 sq. ft. We do have a basement and an outdoor shed.

Here are photos of how everything is organized.

Disclaimer: I took them before my post-Christmas clean up, so things are more cluttered than normal.
#245 of 790 Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 PM

I'm subbing...I'll come back to this later. We are a family of 5 in 1100 square feet. It's a bit tight, but constantly a work in progress for decluttering. I'll post pics sometime after we get the Christmas stuff down. I will have to come back to this post and read all 12 pages.

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#246 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM

This thread has really helped and inspired me. I've worked super hard to declutter our home...it's still a work in progress, but I'm seeing an improvement every day. I just had the kids fill 2 boxes of "excess" toys to donate. When I explained that they would be sharing with kids that didn't have these toys they got really into it. I was really surprised what they were willing to give up.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#247 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Hello, hello! So happy to find this thread and am still reading through.

We are 3 with 2 dogs in 1100 square feet (although we have a basement).

The house would be perfect IF the upstairs dormer had a bathroom, but since it doesn't, with a newborn, we're on the first floor all essentially living in 800 square feet.

We actually ran out of floor space and the one dog has to go upstairs to sleep at night--there's no room for his bed!

We're going to buy a gas fireplace for the basement to hopefully make it more of a year round living space. We have space we can't really use because there's either no bathroom or it's too cold or (for the upstairs) too hot (in the summer). It's really annoying to have space and not be able to use it.

So far, for organization, I've really focused on furniture with storage. We replaced our TV cabinet, which was a garbage rescue that we refinished but was not made for DVDs or CDs, for a bookcase. I also bought a CD organizer so we won't have CDs in their cases anymore--this will be a great space saver and organizer...if I ever finish putting it together.

We're in the process of building new end tables with storage capacity. The ones we have now are just tables with zero storage.

Once we're done with those, we'll be building mission style bookcases. One big one for the living room and my plan is to use baskets on the bottom shelf for toy storage.

Our footrest is a bench with storage inside--so storage space is a big theme around here. It really helps.

Except I'm a packrat. Well, not really. I have family heirlooms and folkart that I don't have room to display. My stuff isn't stuff you want to throw out or donate, so we're stuck with it until we have a bigger house. Needless to say our attic storage is bursting with stuff.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#248 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM

I have 1200 sq ft -- a cape with two br downstairs and one (unheated) br upstairs. There is also a living room, kitchen, and dining room downstairs, and an unfinished room upstairs (very small, would like it to be a bath some day but right now it's a makeshift office/craft room). There are 1.5 baths downstairs.

Is this really considered a *small* home? Aside from one of the downstairs bedrooms, all the rooms feel plenty big to me. I never ever feel cramped. It's a bit of a drag not having a bath uptairs next to my bedroom, and it would be lovely to have a huge finished office... but I am finding it tough to believe that my house is "small"!
#249 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Wow, how did this thread disappear for so long? I'm glad it's back!

I just measured my home and we have 575sqft. 2 bed, 1 bath apartment for 2 adults, 2 cats. I used to hate it, but I've put a lot of love into it over the past 4.5 years. It's made a world of difference. We can (kind of) do whatever we want.

We have an open living room and dining room with a galley kitchen coming off the DR at a right angle. Nice little hallway leading over to the bedrooms and bathroom so it feels a bit separate. 5 closets all together. 1 is large enough to have a medium sized freezer!

This year my goals are to:
  • get rid of clutter!
  • take advantage of vertical space
  • actually think about where I store stuff vs where I use it
  • add more pretty/homey stuff (especially to walls!)
  • move our computer/office stuff from the second bedroom into the DR so that the little bedroom can be used as a bedroom for KIDS!

I am quite happy with our DR/LR so far. I painted it a soft sunny yellow/wheat colour and have a couple largish pieces of furniture in it. It works because I've left a lot of bare, open spots (read, long sight lines ) so it feels roomy.
#250 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We are two humans and two dogs and a cat (who thinks he's a dog) in about 1000 square feet. We are ttc right now, and plan to stay here if we are able to have a child (long story). If not, we'd downsize, because this place feels massive to us.

We are looking to buy a house with some land, but most of the houses in this area are closer to 4000 square feet.
I don't know what I'd do with that much room!

We are also considering building, and looking at plans that are around 1000 square feet, even though our potential builder thinks we're nuts.

This is our current favourite:

http://www.bcmountainhomes.com/catal...dex&cPath=3_60

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#251 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Does anyone else feel like they have a ton more room now that the holiday decor is down? Whew!

I just needed to share that with someone.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#252 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM

so we put an offer on the 1,008sf house! looking good so far. it does have a non-permit bonus room/bath downstairs. and one day we'd like to convert the garage or something.

remind/encourage me that we can do it! LOL

DH/me/DDs (4 and 1y/o). we'll probably have another child in the next few years. we want a dog and a cat too.

the house is great though! here is a pic:
http://mlsimages.movoto.com/102/030/70124130_0.jpg
great outdoor spaces, tons of deer, almond/apple/plum/cherry trees. sunny space for a garden too!
#253 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM

that pic makes it look really huge??? i guess b/c the garage is downstairs and the wrap around deck..

oh, i forgot the cons:
no dishwasher
laundry downstairs in : garage
fug bathrooms
#254 of 790 Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflictedmama View Post
Anyway, I wanted to pass on a great idea I got from Flylady (okay I'm out of the closet!) She says you should only hold on to 2 sets of sheets for each bed in the house and store the clean sets between the matresses. Brilliant! She suggests this in order to clear out the "linen closet" and I wish I had one! But for us it clears out much needed drawer space in the bureau...
ooh, i love this tip with the sheets! i wish i could be that pared down. but we have house guests WAY too often - at least once a month, often for up to a week at a time, sigh - and have to keep stock for the the air mattresses and couch. hmm. maybe we could roll up the spare sheets with the deflated airbed?? store an extra quilt under the couch cushions? LOL...

we are two folks working at home in a 1200 sf house. 3br, 1.5 baths. we don't think it's small, but it's definitely full. there's a basement that's entirely given over to one of the businesses, the other one takes up 2 of the bedrooms. we're constantly working to keep the living room from becoming a loading dock w/packages going out and supplies coming in. and we've got one on the way, so we're working to pull work and art stuff out of one of the bedrooms, with the hope that by the time there are lots of baby things and toys in the mix, there will be a place to put them all. luckily there's a shed outside for overflow biz storage, and an attic for overflow personal storage. (luggage, out of season clothes, things we'll probably eventually sell at a yard sale, etc)

the yard is the thing: it is just a great bonus considering we're in a city, and makes us feel like we live in a palace. it's not that big - like a 10th of an acre - but really greened out, unfenced from the neighbors which lends openness, and the back edge faces the wilderness edge of a park... two blocks down it's organized park/playground/sportsfield space, but 8 months out of the year you can't even see there's a street right behind us, all you see is this wild treefilled green full of ivy, mysterious wild flowers, untamed trees, and a little trickle of running water filled with moss. lots of foxes, ravens, rabbits and hawks; and a million birds and squirrels and butterflies. ok, lots of mosquitos, too, but i don't care. i *heart* my yard! ... there's a shed where we keep the pushmower and our bikes, a compost bin, a picnic table our neighbor MADE US, and two trees where i clip a hammock for summertime reading. sigh.

i love this thread for the pics of all the organizational ideas and useful ways to use space. in particular, i think our dining room could benefit from being rethought; we're always experiencing paperclutter on the table and this makes me think we need to create office/storage space in there for household bills, mail processing, etc.
#255 of 790 Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
toys- This isn't the best picture but http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/2135828899/

DH made this for dd1 this holiday (it's, ummmm, not entirely done ). The front is a play kitchen with oven and stove top and there are shelves inside the oven. The back is a 4 shelf bookcase for her books. The side you can see in the picture has knobs for play clothes (there are fabric bags that hang from the knobs to hold play clothes). The far side is painted with chalkboard paint (as is the oven door inside and out, eventually the knob side will be too) and it has a fold out puppet stage. Stuffed animals "live" on dd1's bed but books and toys live in this play center.
OMG Must.copy.this! I could SO build that! (if your dh doesn't mind me stealing his plans The boys have an abundance of books, and costumes so it would be uber handy.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#256 of 790 Old 01-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Cari- feel free! DH is tweaking it and might sell the plans on etsy but I say go for it. I'll see if dh has his original plans (may have been lost in the move) and if he does I'll pm you.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#257 of 790 Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 PM

WOOT thanks! If he doesn't though, measurements should be good enough! I'm pretty handy with things like that so If I had measurements me and a sheet of plywood will get down & dirty

How goes the moving btw??

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#258 of 790 Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 PM

:
#259 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 AM

When I first read the title of the thread I didn't think my house fit in to it. We are a family of 6 in a 1370 sq.ft. and I've never thought of it as a small house. I have friends with much smaller houses, but then as I read the thread I figure I can add a few things.

We designed and built the house ourselves and knew we only had so much money to work with, so we put a lot of time making sure that every square foot was usable space.
#260 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 AM

We are actually considering the idea of turning out attic into a bedroom. It would require building dormers and a staircase (the area is completely unusable as it is) but it would definitely help us create a livable bedroom for the boys. We are a family of 6 in just over 1000sqft.

Has anyone actually undertaken a project like this?

I dream of 3 real bedrooms instead of our current 2 bedrooms and an oversized closet we use as a bedroom situation! 2 bathrooms sounds like a dream

#261 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi there, I just found this thrend. I am in a house that is about 960 sf. We are a family of 5 with one big dog.
It is a three bedroom and 1 and 1/2 bathroom.
One bedromm is our office/homeschool room so all three daughter's share a room. The older they get the harder it is. It is a TINY room. Oldest will be 9 in a few weeks.

We have a tiny one car garage that has never had a car in it, lol. It is stuffed. In an effort to keep things out of the house we stuff it in there. All our camping stuff, all my craft stuff, all dp's tools, a huge shelf for pantry type food, a freezer. It is scary! Oh and our dryer is in there. The washer is in the 1/2 bathroom. That is one of the things I would like to do....get them together. I want to move the washer to the garage and then build a shower in the bathroom.

We are slowly fixing up the house. We started with the office/homeschool room. It looks great. The computer desk was taking up WAY too much room. So inside the closet we built a computer desk. We took off the closet doors and the shelf. It is big enough for two computers. I will take pictures after I tidy it.

We need to work on the master bedroom next but it is SLOW going.
#262 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
I want some opinions about kid's rooms and personal space. Do you think there is an age where they "need" their own room. Is that just part of our culture?? Do we really "need" personal space?? Can our personal space be outside?? My friends think we "need" to be able to walk around naked in our room if we want to and my poor children will never be able to do that.
I think it depends on the child and the family. For us, it is a sleeping space issue. We had our son in our room or open to our room until he was 2 and 3/4. Then he had is own room for a year in a 2 bedroom apartment. In 2007, we had the choice of where to live when we bought our first home. Our choices were a small 1 bedroom cottage and a larger, but still small townhome (we have 1 shared wall to the next house over). We chose the town home because while we saw some benefits to going back to 1 bedroom, we saw more issues with it. In my family, everyone is happier if my son starts the night in his own bedroom. It facilitates our marriage better and it gives our son own space, which he seems to like. However, having not always had my own bed as a child (shared with my sibling), I see no need for my son to have his own room at this age - if he had a brother or sister then he would be sharing. Even if we had a 3 or 4 bedroom house (we technically do have 3, but 1 is on the ground floor, two floors below the other 2 bedrooms so not child suitable! It is very small and used for a den. Basically it is a two bedroom) he would still be sharing. We will have this house for a long time, so if he has a sibling they won't be in separate rooms till his preteen years if at all (we may move in 6 years or so). Even cross gender, which for some seems to be a problem but I just don't see it. We would keep the new baby in our room for 1-2 ish years and then set them up on the lower bunk of a bunk bed.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#263 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
I want some opinions about kid's rooms and personal space. Do you think there is an age where they "need" their own room. Is that just part of our culture?? Do we really "need" personal space?? Can our personal space be outside?? My friends think we "need" to be able to walk around naked in our room if we want to and my poor children will never be able to do that.

We face this issue. We have 4 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have 1 daughter...Some people would put the girl by herself and the 3 boys together, but the thing is my dd and ds #3 are extremely close and it makes the most sense for them to share and the other 2 to share for now. Most of the time some of them end up in our room anyway.
I don't think it's necessary that the room be the only personal space a child could have...I mean you and your dh/partner share a room right, so why should a child have a different need? I think as long as there's spaces in the home that a person can go to be alone that should be enough.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#264 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
We face this issue. We have 4 kids and 3 bedrooms. We have 1 daughter...Some people would put the girl by herself and the 3 boys together, but the thing is my dd and ds #3 are extremely close and it makes the most sense for them to share and the other 2 to share for now. Most of the time some of them end up in our room anyway.
We have dd1 share with ds1 as well. It makes sense for us to have ds1 by himself right now as he wants his own space while the other 2 want to be with a sibling. They are only 19 months apart and seem to like each other's company at night. Dd ends up in our room most nights though.

We may do a boy/girl split when dd2 is older, but she will be with us for quite a while yet!

#265 of 790 Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I don't think it's necessary that the room be the only personal space a child could have...I mean you and your dh/partner share a room right, so why should a child have a different need? I think as long as there's spaces in the home that a person can go to be alone that should be enough.
excellent point!
#266 of 790 Old 01-08-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
We have our two oldest in the same room. When my youngest is old enough, he'll move up there as well.

I grew up with my own room and crave my own space. Yet we don't have a choice here, and the kids don't mind (minus some "he's making noise" "she breathes too loud" sometimes at night). Neither one of them has any modesty yet, so they don't care about that. They each have a shelf for their special things, and we teach them the importance of respecting each other's shelves and things (and they do pretty well).

We figure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Some of my friends are horrified that DS and DD share a room . . . but there is space in our house where the kids can go to be alone/get dressed/etc. At this point, they usually want to be where I am anyway and rarely spend any time in their room at all.

I don't think kids need their own room, but I do think they need, and deserve, the ability to get away from their siblings and have some privacy/space to themselves for awhile. But it doesn't have to be their room.
#267 of 790 Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
great points! growing up, there were 4 of us in two sets: me and a sister who shared a large room, two 'little ones' a boy and girl, who shared a smaller room w/bunk beds. if i wanted to be alone, my special retreat was on top of a pile of laundry in the laundry room in the basement, where i would curl up like a nest and read. it never occurred to me to want or feel like i needed my own room.

our bun is still baking, but it's really helpful to read all the various space configurations people have.
#268 of 790 Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
We are actually considering the idea of turning out attic into a bedroom. It would require building dormers and a staircase (the area is completely unusable as it is) but it would definitely help us create a livable bedroom for the boys. We are a family of 6 in just over 1000sqft.

Has anyone actually undertaken a project like this?
we have been dreaming of creating an attic loft since we got here two years ago!! a cousin of ours in london did this and it looks amazing; in my preliminary googling i have found lots of contractors who specialize in finishing basements, none who speak of finishing attics. i know they must be out there!
#269 of 790 Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
We have dd1 share with ds1 as well. It makes sense for us to have ds1 by himself right now as he wants his own space while the other 2 want to be with a sibling. They are only 19 months apart and seem to like each other's company at night. Dd ends up in our room most nights though.

We may do a boy/girl split when dd2 is older, but she will be with us for quite a while yet!
We have all boys, so the gender split isn't an issue for us thankfully! Our nearly 6yo and 3.5yo share a room (and a twin bed, they hated it when we put a double in lol) and wouldn't have it any other way. They actually wail pitifully if we separate them at night ... and we go in to tuck them in late at night, and they are sprawled all over each other The little dude sleeps in the 3rd bedroom (mr 3.5 has a twin bed in there, but it rarely gets used.. except for jumping on

Geez... just rearranged the living room and it feels HUGE now!!!!!

#270 of 790 Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM

Here are some pics of my small house. Just the bathroom/laundry (yes, that is the same room!) and the kitchen/dining area. I will post the living room and other spaces later. We have about 950 sf of living space, that we are actually in. The remaining 450 or so is garage/entry hall/tiny at present unused den.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22612133@N07/

Honestly, I shied away from this thread because to me the house is freaking huge . We brought our son home to a 450 sf studio. I see other houses in this range here, we are committed to living without a too much clutter and some spaces are pretty small in our house, so I decided to start posting here. Looking for inspiration on what to do with a few areas. Maybe I will post pics of those spaces and ask for input on how to best use the space. Thanks for humoring me!

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page