Small house thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 790 Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!!!

I need help finding the small house thread. Please guide me...

Thanks!

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#2 of 790 Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 AM

- but I'd like to come along for the ride...
#3 of 790 Old 11-11-2006, 06:06 PM

:
#4 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 AM

I guess we're it...wanna start a thread for the three of us?

what are the blessings and curses of a small house?

Less to clean...NO storage!
#5 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Takes me about 7mins to vaccum the whole thing and I only have to unplug it once.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#6 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 AM

Gives you good reason to simplify, simplify.....I am a reformed packrat and our house is very cluttered. But...I love my house so much it motivates me to press on. Also, When buying new furniture the Ikea catalogue comes in handy as it caters to small spaces. I love our small house!
#7 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 11:57 AM

Subbing...

What do you consider small? Our house is 1400 square feet. With four of us, it sometimes feels quite small. But we do have an upstairs.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on a great idea I got from Flylady (okay I'm out of the closet!) She says you should only hold on to 2 sets of sheets for each bed in the house and store the clean sets between the matresses. Brilliant! She suggests this in order to clear out the "linen closet" and I wish I had one! But for us it clears out much needed drawer space in the bureau...

Otoh, I've discovered it's not that easy to lift up the mattress and put the sheets in there...I need help w/that.
#8 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 PM

There are a couple of small house threads floating around here for specific small homes (Delight and cdmaze come to mind.) But an all around thread for those who live in small houses would be nice!

We have a 960 sq.ft. house for the three of us. It's plenty for our small family.
#9 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM

I don't currently have a small house but I did for 10 years and hope to again someday. So, I'll participate as much as I can.
#10 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We live in a housethat is about 750 sq ft. It's ok for now but DS1's room is definitely not big enough for 2 and yeah about the storage thing. When we move into our house that we own it will be about 900 sq ft until we get the add on built then we will be looking at 1200 sq ft.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 790 Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Our house is 513 sq ft. Honestly, it's not a bad size for the 3 of us (me and two kids). Our house has no closets so that is our biggest challenge. We have to declutter all the time in order to keep things manageable. My kids have the two bedrooms and I have a futon in the living room. I want to get a full-sized loft bed though to save space in here as soon as I can, which means sometime next summer probably when we have more money.
#12 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM

we live in a 900 sqft home currently and it will be fine for us and hopefully a baby. I love love purging things but, DH is a pack rat! He has more clothes than me and I'm a shopper... just can't manage to get him to part with anything.

We were so frusterated when shopping for new furnature because it seems like the only type of new furnature being manufactured is for all of the McMansions that seem to be sprouting up in the suburbs... I like Ikea but, it is a little modern for my taste most of the time.
#13 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM

We are selling our 2,000 SF house with full basement and going down to 900 SF.
#14 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We (myself and 4 children) live in a two-bedroom flat. I haven't actually measured, but I estimate that it's between 1,000 and 1,500 square feet.

I used to think it was too small (although it is bigger than the 750 square foot townhouse we lived in before I graduated!!) Now I realize that it's just too full, and I have been de-cluttering with a vengeance lately to correct that problem.

So far I have completed the study area, and made some serious progress in the sitting area and the bathroom. (The best part is, as I make headway in the areas of the house that are my responsibility, my children are starting to de-clutter their areas, as well! )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#15 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa72 View Post
Takes me about 7mins to vaccum the whole thing and I only have to unplug it once.
We have 4 of us, plus pets in a 1200 sf some and this is one of my favorite parts!
#16 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM

DH, DS and I live with a dog, cat and two ferrets in 800 sf.

We're always near each other, it's easy to clean and there's no storage to collect crap.

Yay!!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#17 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Well, I no longer feel right posting after reading the sqfootage of other posters, but I'm going to anyway.

My dh, dd1, dd2, and I live in a 1,100 sqf house and a full basement. I've lived in it one year but my husband has for 2+ years. I'm doing the decluttering challenge to clear it out.

There's enough room for us but not enough for having people over. This is probably what I don't like about it.
#18 of 790 Old 11-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corhorvath View Post
There's enough room for us but not enough for having people over. This is probably what I don't like about it.
I agree - I love our 1600s.f home. Its just perfect for dh, both boys and myself (maybe 1-2 more babes ) but I really struggle with house guests. We have a large family, and it seems there is always someone staying over (one brother for weeks at a time) and there is no extra bedroom, and the living area is all connected, so there is no space for privacy. But mostly its just due to the layout of our home and my personal time issues!

Not enough of a bother to make us move/add on, but an issue non-the-less!
#19 of 790 Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 AM

I LOVE the sheet idea!
That is AWESOME!
We have 1200 sq feet upstairs. We have a full unfinished basement. So I am cheating. But I still consider living in a small house because I do my everyday living upstairs. It also has some wasted space that I can not figure out what to do with.
#20 of 790 Old 11-24-2006, 02:43 PM

We live in 1700sqft. Me, dh and 4 kiddos. When we purchased we had one and thought we'd only live here for a little while. Now who knows if we'll ever move. I like it now, although I've had periods where I didn't. I like that we're not a slave to our mortgage, and I can hear the kids from most any place in the house and it's cozy. I'm learning to appreciate what I have and being thankful for it.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#21 of 790 Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 AM

We are in a 1200 sq ft home. But we have a garage and a large yard. We spend more time outside if the weather is at all nice. The main thing is purging. My only issue is closet space for me I work in a profession where I wear suits everyday and my closet is pretty crowded.

Our house is cozy and the utilities are cheap - we use less resources to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. We looked at newer homes about a year ago - we were walking through one and realized the place had two air conditoner units : Dh was like "I bet it costs a fortune to live here"
#22 of 790 Old 11-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Does anyone ever get house envy when visiting friends or family who have bigger new homes?

It is a pretty hard struggle for me to fight the stuff envy I occationally get when visiting friends and family with bigger newer homes. It is so silly because I love the small home Dh and I bought and we are by no means living beyond our means(as many of my friends with those McMansions can not say the same thing). I see them struggle with money and I know I would much rather live with less than live with the constant worrying of paying bills... but sometimes I can't help but really love their big beautiful homes and lovely pottery barn interriors....
#23 of 790 Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 PM

The three of us are in a 800 sq. ft, one bedroom apartment. We only have two closets that are stuffed! But it's all we can afford. Someday we hope to have a 1000 sq. ft. house.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#24 of 790 Old 11-26-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm loving every minute of it! I couldn't imagine living in a bigger house. I love how it doesn't take me very long to clean, even when its a disaster. I'm not jealous at all at larger houses, because my bills are at least half, even with no central heat or air! I think small houses are so cozy! The biggest challenge is organizing everything.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#25 of 790 Old 11-26-2006, 07:51 PM

I don't usually get jealous of larger homes because it seems like they'd be so much work to maintain, and I'm lazy. Anyway, I loathe the McMansion layouts with the huge rooms and the cathedral ceilings and such. They practically give me vertigo.
#26 of 790 Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 AM

I'm in a playgroup w/ a girl that has a 6000 (that's right) sq. ft. house...it is beautiful, but I can't even imagine the mortgage, cost of utilities or why w/1 child you need 6000sf? Anywho, I don't have envy persay, sometimes I do wish our house had one more bedroom, or another living area, but overall I'm pretty happy with it at this point.

#27 of 790 Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I'm in a playgroup w/ a girl that has a 6000 (that's right) sq. ft. house...it is beautiful, but I can't even imagine the mortgage, cost of utilities or why w/1 child you need 6000sf? Anywho, I don't have envy persay, sometimes I do wish our house had one more bedroom, or another living area, but overall I'm pretty happy with it at this point.
I'm alot like you in that I just couldn't imagine the stress of paying all of those costs for such a huge house.
#28 of 790 Old 11-27-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I can't imagine 6000 sq feet. That's so huge.

I also would love one more bedroom and a few feet added to the kitchen Another bathroom would be nice also.

But overall, I'm happy. I love almost everything about our house and I really don't want to move.
#29 of 790 Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM

plus a full basement, one car garage, and a very nice lot

We actually almost bought a somewhat larger house but it had a much smaller yard and no garage.

I still think wistfully about that house sometimes (It had a lovely oak staircase and then there was all the square footage) but I'm glad that we chose this house.

Our yard is so much nicer and it's much nicer for the kids to play. Over the years we've got our money's worth
#30 of 790 Old 11-27-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethorama View Post
We actually almost bought a somewhat larger house but it had a much smaller yard and no garage.

I still think wistfully about that house sometimes (It had a lovely oak staircase and then there was all the square footage) but I'm glad that we chose this house.
We did the same thing for the same reason. 2 car garage vs. 1 car and a much bigger lot. The 2 other houses we looked at happen to be in our neighborhood and the one that I really wanted still gets me wistful sometimes, it was in a cul de sac, about 500 sq.ft bigger, but on a tiny lot w/1 car garage, dh didn't like it becuz it was a resale and our house was being built still. Oh well...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page