Is the Dyson worth the $$$? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need a new vacuum. We both really like the Dyson, but before I plop down a minimum of $400, is it really worth the hype?

Mainly we need it to battle the pet fur and dander and pine needles (so many pine trees on our lot!). Our current vac. is an ancient Hoover I got for $30 at an estate sale. It works, but not really well. Plus dh doesn't like dealing with the bags.

So, for those with Dysons, was it worth it?

~Julia
#2 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 AM

:

(I have an Oreck that's just a couple years old. It's okay, but I definitely am having Dyson envy . . . )

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 05:01 PM

I'm a dyson lover Just buy it, you might have a panic attack in the store but as soon as you run it over your floors you will wonder how you survived without it.

I grew up with a Kerby and hated everything about it. Dh and I had a Hoover windtunnel before the Dyson, I did the "test" where you vacumm with your old vacuum and then the dyson. The results were truely shocking and discusting. I got a whole canister of junk out of dd's room AFTER using the windtunnel.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM

I love the dyson too!

My parents have one and it gets out so much dirt out of the carpet, it is disgusting to think that it was "clean!"

We have a POS dirt devil that I hate, but one day, I will have a dyson again!
#5 of 46 Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 PM

My parents borrowed my brother's dyson because he loves it sooooo. Anyway, they decided the vaccum was too heavy, and did not buy. They got another Oreck instead.
#6 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 AM

We our dyson, and its over 3 years old - still rocks my world.
#7 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions! We have tile and wood floors throughout the house with only one area rug that's too large to pick up and shake out, so it sounds like maybe a dyson will work for us.

How did you find it worked with pet fur? we have three cats and a ferret and my husband is getting paranoid about pet fur and dander everywhere.

~Julia
#8 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM

I have 3 cats and a long haired dog, and the dyson picks up all that hair rather well.
#9 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Not to be terribly contrary, but the Kenmore progressive canister vac we JUST bought is IMO waaaaaay better and from what I read might very well last much longer than the Dyson. We have a 90lb Lab (which as you may know shed all year round, a baby, a very hairy cat and the kicker is my DH is a woodworker, and man does he track in dust like mad. Mostly wood floors and stairs, one area rug, and I swear I'll never buy anything but a canister vac from now on. It's WONDERFUL to not have to push anything around, AND I can get all those dust bunnies (more like bigfoots) from under the couch w/o having to move the couch!!! It fits UNDER the couch woman!!!! Plus, it's half the price.

Anyway, just my 2 cents... happy vaccuuming!!!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#10 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Thanks for all the opinions! We have tile and wood floors throughout the house with only one area rug that's too large to pick up and shake out, so it sounds like maybe a dyson will work for us.

How did you find it worked with pet fur? we have three cats and a ferret and my husband is getting paranoid about pet fur and dander everywhere.

~Julia
I am shopping around as well-and talked with a vacuum guy yesterday-he was saying that the Dyson is good if you have a lot of carpet-but if you have tile and wood-not good. You have to get the one that the brushes stop -if not - the Dyson will scratch your floors. Cannisters are definitely much more efficient for combination of wood/tile and carpet.
Now-if I could just figure out which cannister is great at also cleaning carpets? Any recs? Does anyone know what CR said about the cannister vacuums?
#11 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
I am shopping around as well-and talked with a vacuum guy yesterday-he was saying that the Dyson is good if you have a lot of carpet-but if you have tile and wood-not good. You have to get the one that the brushes stop -if not - the Dyson will scratch your floors. Cannisters are definitely much more efficient for combination of wood/tile and carpet.
Now-if I could just figure out which cannister is great at also cleaning carpets? Any recs? Does anyone know what CR said about the cannister vacuums?
Our dyson (I'm guessing most) has a dial that stops the brushes for bare floors. In our last house we had carpet, hardwood and tile (equal amounts of each), the dyson did not scratch any floors and has held up great through 3 moves and 4 houses. We have the animal version and to me isn't a PITA to push around.
#12 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post

~Julia
Wow if you are mostly using it on hard floors I probably wouldn't invest 400 dollars into a vaccum, hard floors just aren't that difficult to clean IME.
#13 of 46 Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM

One of my relatives with long haired pets, went from an Oreck to a Dyson- big difference. If I had pets and wall-to-wall carpeting like she does, I probably get one. I don't though, neither pets nor wall-to-wall.

What I really liked about the the Dyson, besides that it's great on sticky pet hair, is how easy it is to empty the dust bin. My vacuum is "bagless" but the filter collects so much dust that emptying the bin is nasty. The filters are expensive on mine, too.

I thought I saw a cheaper vacuum (Eureka?) that claims to be easy to empty. Anyone have any experience?
~nisu
#14 of 46 Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tfulmom View Post
Our dyson (I'm guessing most) has a dial that stops the brushes for bare floors. In our last house we had carpet, hardwood and tile (equal amounts of each), the dyson did not scratch any floors and has held up great through 3 moves and 4 houses. We have the animal version and to me isn't a PITA to push around.
Sorry gr8tfulmom-I didn't make myself clear! I meant that the Dyson vacuums without the brush control will scratch the floors(they don't all have that control).

Thanks Vixenmama for the CR report
#15 of 46 Old 11-22-2006, 11:14 PM

I have the Dyson Animal and LOVE it. I have hard wood on the 1st floor of our home and carpet on the 2nd floor. It works great on both, IMO. It has the knob to adjust the setting to either "carpet" or "bare floor", so I can use it on both surfaces sucessfully.

We have 2 dogs, one is VERY hairy and sheds white fluffy hair everywhere! I vacuum the hardwood every day and my Dyson has done an excellent job at picking up all that hair.

I've had mine for almost 2 years and have not had any trouble with it at all.

HTH!
#16 of 46 Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 PM

I have a long-haired fluffy white dog and burgandy carpets. I could not live without my Dyson!!! I rave about it to everyone!
#17 of 46 Old 11-23-2006, 02:10 AM

My dh works in the appliance dept and can't stop talking about the Dyson, of course we can't afford it. According to him there are similiar models (Healthy Home-can't remember the brand) but the Dyson is the only one with a lifetime guarantee on the suction and a guarantee that it will not scratch wood floors- if it does they will pay for repair!! He also says that customers rave about it. I guess I'd check into the warranty stuff. Of course this is jsut the schpeel he gives to customers and I haven't actually tried it but if you never have to buy another vac then it is probably worth it!
#18 of 46 Old 11-23-2006, 02:26 AM

Is the Dyson worth the money? One word. NO. Save your money. Go with Windtunnel or something similar.

DC
#19 of 46 Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 PM

I'm really interested to see all teh consumer reports giving mediocre ratings on the dyson. Apparently I didn't do my research that well! lol! oh well, I bought the dyson (I believe it's a variation of the dc-14). We all three have serious sinus allergies, a really dusty home, almost all wood & tile floors, a dog, a cat and a crawling baby. I love my dyson. Since I've had it, I've been able to vacuum nearly everyday (middle of the floors). It's much easier to me rather than dragging out the canister vac we used to have. Once a week I put on the hardwood floor attatchment and go under the furniture. It's quick and efficient and I've noticed a dramatic reduction in dust and pet hair since I've had it. PP talked about the test between old & new vac. Maybe my old vac just really sucked-or didn't LOL! (I think it was a Kenmore... not sure of the model) but the difference was night & day. However, having seen these consumer reports I'd go with one of the less expensive models. We went with the Dyson for a couple of reasons 1) our allergies: I wanted something that was very effective against dust and pet hair and 2) I didn't want another piece of junk that would fall apart on me in three years. I've used the Hoover Windtunnel's before at clients houses and I really haven't thought too much of it. That's the only one that I know anything about on the "good buy" list in pp.

good luck!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#20 of 46 Old 11-24-2006, 02:19 PM

We bought a Dyson earlier this year. I love it! It sucks up cat hair like nobody's business. It gets so much dirt out of the carpet, it's gross. One of the best things is how easy it is to clean. You just hold the can over the trash, pull the trigger, and the dirt dumps into the trash. Very easy, and not dirty.
#21 of 46 Old 11-25-2006, 03:56 PM

yes
#22 of 46 Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
Is the Dyson worth the money? One word. NO. Save your money. Go with Windtunnel or something similar.

DC
I have a windtunnel and it is a piece of crap. I really hate it. It does a bad job but I can't afford a new vacuum now.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#23 of 46 Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM

I bought a refurbished D07 animal at an authorized web dealer. It was $299 with free shipping. I searched around a bit and found a 10% off coupon. So it cost me $269, no shipping, no tax.
#24 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Yes! IMO, it is definitely worth the money!! I bought one online a couple weeks ago and received it last week and am in LOVE! We have an 80 lb. black labrador and his fur gets everywhere...it really sticks to the slipcovers on our couch...Using our old vacuum (a Hoover, which, for the most part worked pretty well), it took sooo long to vacuum the slipcovers, and fur would still be there in the end. With the dyson, I vacuumed the furniture fairly quickly last night and it looks amazing. It is my favorite toy right now.

ETA: I have the DC14 Animal...
#25 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM

our house so improved with the Dyson.

DS sleep so much more sound since we got the Dyson and an air filter we also got rid of any down in his room. but all in all this family loves the dyson.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#26 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 PM

We have had the DC07 for about 1 1/2 and I love it so much. For some miracle we were at Home depot one day and the entire store was 40% (well almkost) and we got the Dyson for $240. We were actually going to buy a cheaper brand because we couldn't afford the dyson but when we saw that deal we couldn't pass it up. I love it so much I actually enjoy cleaning. We also bought an assesory pack that included the low reach floor tool that seems to clean even more and is great for getting under the beds and using in the kitchen. I have 2 short haired cats and I am still amazed at how much fur I find in the vacuum canister. I had no idea my cats shed so much. I am pretty lazy about picking up the floor before I vacuum and the dyson has all these removable pieces to be able to access everywhere something can get stuck. The dyson is actually heavier than my old dirt devil but it moves so much easier that it seams lighter. I use to throw out my back with the old vacuum but not anymore. The only thing I don't like about it is that to use it for high areas you have to flip the handle around. It is hard to explain but if you check one out in the store the next higher models have an easier teloscopic handle that you don't have to flip around. I think it only bothers me because I know there is a more convienient model out there and I'm jealous. Good luck and I hope you find something you like.
#27 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:29 PM

bubsmom - I got my Dyson the same way! The handle flip-around thing drove me nuts for the first month I had it, now that I'm used to it, and it doesn't bother me at all.
#28 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man! thanks so much for all the replies!

I think I'm pretty sold on the dyson. even though we have mostly hardwoods, my husband is super worried about pet hair and dander (we also have three birds that are constantly dandering and getting bird food everywhere).

And actually, we won't have to spend too much on the dyson. We have a few target gift certificates that we got as wedding gifts and target has a price cut on the DC 07 right now, so I think we're going to go ahead and get it.

Bubsmom, where did find the accessory pack? It looks like the regular dyson and the animal are the same, just that the animals comes with more accessories. It would be nice if I could get those later when we have a little more money.

~Julia
#29 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened View Post
I have a windtunnel and it is a piece of crap. I really hate it. It does a bad job but I can't afford a new vacuum now.
I loved my windtunnel. Best vacuum I have owned yet. Beats my Dyson hands down and a heckuva lot cheaper. The Dyson is pure hype IMO.
#30 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschildren View Post
I loved my windtunnel. Best vacuum I have owned yet. Beats my Dyson hands down and a heckuva lot cheaper. The Dyson is pure hype IMO.

Could you both post what you love/hate about the vacuum? It might be that what the first mama hates, the second mama doesn't care about or vice versa.

It would really help out if you could both tell us specifically what you think it does better or worse than the dyson or your current vacuum.

Thanks!

~Julia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page