Does anyone use the cloth menstrual pads? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made my own with terrycloth hemp. I think there are a lot of patterns out there on the net that are easy to download, and you can make them to your personal specs (thickness and length, etc.). I made the kinds with wings and have a snap press so I can snap them on.
#32 of 36 Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 PM

I use and love them. After buying them I haven't bought a single disposable and would never go back. Before I used tampons and now I hate the thought of it. I find them so much more comfortable and really easy to clean. In a pinch I would just use some cold water to get the blood out (mine are wool, but not itchy at all).

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#33 of 36 Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM

I recently started making my own (VERY cheap to do!)

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Yes

How often do you wash?
Usually at the same time I wash towels or diapers. Or when I see I'm about to run out during my period.

How do you wash?
I wash them in hot water with towels.

Do you soak them?
Yes. I rinse them in warm water as soon as I take them off. Then I have an old baby-wipe container filled with water with baking soda and a little salt that I throw them in.

How do you store them?
Just in a basket under my sink

...if you're interested in sewing them, my friend and I have a tutorial written up. Let me know!
#34 of 36 Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 PM

I made mine based on Amaz Padz b/c they got such great reviews on diaperpin.com. I bought some flannel for the top layer, used hemp terry for the middle...which I had bought for diaper making...and ultrasuede for the bottom. I then made liners with wings out of fleece. I have found, though, that the ultrasuede against cotton panties stay in place just fine. While my pp flow was heavy, I used the liners, but once it lightened up I just used the pads.

I would love to have purchased them from Amaz Padz, but $$$ is premium these days. It took me a whole day to make enough for my pp flow (about 24), but I am SO GLAD I did it!! While in the hospital I used the big ole paper things they had since I was bleeding so heavily, but as soon as I got home and put those on - wham! - I felt human again. Really reinforced my decision to use cloth on the bambino, kwim? Once AF returns I've got a Diva cup (which I bought the same month I got preggers, figures).

To wash, I just plop in a wet bucket. Change the water once a day, and then wash with the diapers. For out and about, I rinse when possible and toss them in the baby's wet bag. I also carry back ups in the baby's diaper bag. (Just had an IUD put in and had some bleeding from that, so the pads were pulled back out.) I think you have to get over staining, though mine haven't seemed to stain too badly. Of course, the flannel I chose is batik looking, so if they are stained I can't really tell.

I store them in a box in the bathroom cabinet, same place I'd keep paper pads or tampons if I used them.
#35 of 36 Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love my mama cloth, I've been using them for about 5 years, even before I had kids in cloth. I have Mother of Eden and Lunapads and love them both for different reasons. I have about 5 Mother of Eden and 5 of Luna pads plus some smaller liners and that is enough to get me through although I would recomend a few more than that, I need to get more. I don't rinse them or anything, I just throw them in the cloth diaper pail, which I wash everyday anyways. Never had any stain issues or smell.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#36 of 36 Old 12-19-2006, 02:53 PM

Yes. I have for 31 years and they are great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page