10 minute challenges - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...going downstairs to see what straightening up I can get done in the bedrooms in ten minutes!
#92 of 114 Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Well, I should not have read the not finishing things thread before going downstairs....I got ten minutes of swapping laundry loads, combining piles and some sorting and putting away of laundry.
#93 of 114 Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Okay, I got up early this morning because the chickens were being noisy, and yet I haven't done anything more productive than check MDC. So, here I go....

*10 minutes later*

I put some RRL tea on to brew, got dressed, Dutch braided my hair and put some nappies in Napisan to soak. Not a ginormous achievement... I'll try again.

*10 minutes later*

I did some dishes, loaded up the dishwasher, sprayed down the stovetop preparatory to cleaning it, and put some lentils on to soak for dinner.

K, now I need a short break so I can ring my mother regarding babysitting my little sisters this afternoon.

Drat, I have to find something to feed said little sisters for lunch. I'll do that shortly. In the meantime...

*10 minutes later*

Um, cleaned the stove. It hadn't been done for awhile. And put some stuff in the recycling bin. OK, one more...

*10 minutes later*

I stripped the sheets and pillowcases from the bed and remade it fresh, made up the daybed, and finished the dishes.

That'll do for now; I'm gonna drink that RRL tea!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#94 of 114 Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 AM

Wow, I need to do this tomorrow. I have been sooo lazy lately and unmotivated.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#95 of 114 Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM

:
#96 of 114 Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Okay, I have a lot to get done today, so excuse the verboseness. It's the only way I can get motivated.

First ten minutes: Unloaded the dishwasher, froze the remainder of last night's dinner for post-baby meal. Sorted out lunch with hubby (will be making waffles!).

Second ten minutes: Made bed, got dressed, did hair, cleansed face.

Third and fourth ten minuteses: Toned and moisturised face, brushed teeth, wiped down bathroom and tidied it a wee bit, cleaned stove. (I'm working on this wild theory that if I wipe down the stove more often than once a year, it won't actually require a belt sander to get the skunge off). Swept kitchen floor. Began mixing up double batch of lemon muffins. Reflected that in the admittedly unlikely situation of me being attacked this morning by a crazed killer, this record of my last few ten minuteses may prove to be a) a poignant reminder to my husband of the excellence of my wifelitude, and/or b) the key in solving my own murder case. Which I feel makes me socially conscious.

#97 of 114 Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Going to set the timer now.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#98 of 114 Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 AM

I have a lot to do today, so I'll probably be stopping here often.

#99 of 114 Old 02-16-2008, 11:52 AM

(10 min) Session #1- Cleared off the kitchen counter, dealt with some dishes from last night, unloaded the dishwasher, loaded and ran the dishwasher.

(10 min) Session #2- Put away a small load of laundry, took clean clothes out of dryer, flipped next load from washer to dryer, put away laundry I'd just taken out, grabbed a sponge and wiped down the kitchen counter.

(10 min) Session #3- Picked up all the crayons and toys that ds2 and his toddler friend put on the living room and dining room floors, started the next load of laundry in the washer, picked up some things from off of the office floor.

(10 min) Session #4- Finished clearing the office floor, vacuumed the office and hallway, cleared off and wiped the bathroom sink, worked on cleaning off desk.

(10 min) Session #5- Brought up laundry from dryer, flipped next load from washer to dryer, started load of diapers in washer, washed hands (ew diapers), emptied dishwasher.

(10 min) Session #6- Went around the house throwing away paper trash (mail, random papers, old magazines). Cleared off and wiped down dining room table and the high chair. Scrubbed out and polished one side of the sink.

#100 of 114 Old 02-17-2008, 07:09 PM

Subbing to this thread, as it was made for me!
I get distracted very easily, by the mess in the kitchen, to the clutter in the bedroom, and the kiddos really distract me too. But nothing distracts me more than this dang computer!!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#101 of 114 Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 AM

*yawn* It's nearly midnight, and I'm waiting for DH to come home, so I may as well do something productive. Here goes...

Okay, I did ten minutes of general decluttering stuff--loaded the dishwasher, removed the dead toilet roll from the bathroom, etc--and then another ten minutes of washing down the corridor walls with sugar soap, preparatory to painting them sometime. And DH still isn't home. I might put a few more things away, and then go to bed.

#102 of 114 Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Right, I'm having another lazy day. I need to force myself to get stuff done. So here goes:

10 minutes: Checked mail. Unhooked curtains from large windows in living room, so as to paint around the windows. Started washing the walls around the windows with sugar soap.

10 minutes: Finished washing walls, puttied up a few holes. Started giving one doorway a coat of white paint.

10 minutes: Finished doorway, started doorway #2.

10 minutes: Finished half of doorway #2 (the other half still needs masking, for some reason); painted doorway #3 and started doorway #4.

10 minutes: Finished doorway #4, started doorway #5.

10 minutes: Finished doorway #5 (except for one edge, which again needs masking), and did doorway #6. Anyone spotting a pattern here? Realised midwife is going to turn up in 20 minutes...

10 minutes: Scrubbed toilet (vile job) and tried futilely to install the new toilet seat. Failing that, compromised by placing new seat on top and hoping she doesn't ask to use it...

#103 of 114 Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to do some 10 min challenges today

Anyone want to join me?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#104 of 114 Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM

What an awesome (and sadly, easy) idea!!! I really needed to find something like this. Let's see what I can manage today. I will give myself a goal of 3 10 min challanges, 1) kitchen table pile of junk, 2) laundry that needs to be put away & 3) master bathroom.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#105 of 114 Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
What an awesome (and sadly, easy) idea!!! I really needed to find something like this. Let's see what I can manage today. I will give myself a goal of 3 10 min challanges, 1) kitchen table pile of junk, 2) laundry that needs to be put away & 3) master bathroom.

I love this thread -- did you reach your goal?
#106 of 114 Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 AM

Using a timer has really motivated me to clean more. Sometimes I set it for 10 minutes and sometimes I set it for 20 minutes. Usually I am in the zone after the timer goes off so I usually keep working. Using a timer has also helped my 8 year old son to clean his room without it being a big deal. He sets the timer for 15 minutes and cleans all he can in that time. He may need to do another 15 minutes later in the day or the next day to get it really clean, but he knows that 15 minutes is do-able.

By setting my timer for 10 minutes, I learned I can do my dishes in 10 rather than in 20 minutes. (I used to set it for 20 for dishes.) Hmmmm. There was some sociological principle I learned in college that stated that people subconsciously stretch their work out to last the whole work day because they don't want to get all their work done quickly only to be handed more work. Perhaps this comes into play with housework too!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#107 of 114 Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Banned

good task ill go for it in the morning!
#108 of 114 Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 AM

:nana::::bana na:BUMP
#109 of 114 Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM

I'm in for some more ten minute challenges today. Our house was sick last week. The baby missed the whole week of it and got it yesterday, so I'm doing a lot of baby holding. I did a big cleaning yesterday while dh was home because I was a slug for the past week and a half either sick myself or taking care of other sickies, and I needed my house to be clean. Ten minutes at a time is a good way to get back in the groove.
#110 of 114 Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM

Going to go set my timer now...

Done. Spent 10 minutes generally decluttering around the house, putting things away and throwing things away. Then I cleaned off a plastic thing of drawers, labeled the fronts of the drawers for drawing supplies, paper and activity/coloring books.

#111 of 114 Old 04-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Thank you so much for bumping this thread, DeclutteringNut!

It set me off on a cleaning spree. I swept the back room, moved the computer and desk to the back room so I can see the kids when they're out back and am now in the process of decluttering the back room and office!

#112 of 114 Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

I so needed this thread right now....I'm in major need of de-cluttering and I am in the middle of painting the kitchen right now so it will really help.
#113 of 114 Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

I've been staring at the top of my hutch and my computer desk for the last several days hoping some cleaning faires will magic the clutter away. Alas I think they are waiting for me to do it. I'm going to set my timer and see how much I can get done in ten minutes. Ready....set.....go....!
#114 of 114 Old 04-18-2008, 02:34 AM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page