horrid little worms in my dry pasta--what? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, ziplocs won't do it - you need canisters/tupperwares/anything heavy and sealed. Not bags or boxes. Never heard the gum thing. I had good luck with just starving them.
#32 of 42 Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 PM

I had them once. I got rid of them by throwing everything away. It seemed painful, but it did the trick. I'm careful where I buy stuff now. I just use airtight containers, but I'm always afraid I'll find them in oatmeal. puke.
I heard bay leaves help, but only the traps helped us get them once they turned to moths. As a rule I try not to cram my cupboard now. I try to finish what i have before I get much more.
#33 of 42 Old 01-18-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I heard bay leaves help, but only the traps helped us get them once they turned to moths.
I heard that too. Grandma swears by it! I put some in the pantry just in case.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#34 of 42 Old 01-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
It helps to freeze these items. If you freeze everything-- pasta, legumes, grains, flour, meal, etc., for 24 hours, you will kill anything that could reproduce. I tend to buy my bulk items -- rice, oatmeal etc etc etc in the deep of winter, and leave it in the garage or in a covered bin outside my kitchen (could use an apartment roof -top or balcony) for at least 24 freezing hours.

If you live in a warm climate, or buy when it's warm, put this sort of thing in your freezer for a couple of days.
I was gonna post this solution. Freeze everything, even if it has been in glass jars or containers you would have thought were airtight. You'd be surprised where those moth larvae can get.... they will get between the glass of the jar and the lid and crawl through the maze of groves to get inside!!!

If you freeze everything that is currently in your pantry there is a chance some of it can be saved, and you'll have less waste. And remember, bugs are just protein and roughage.... and some of them taste good (sorry, former entomologist and I have eaten buggies on purpose!)!
#35 of 42 Old 01-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
I have just discovered these today. I have cleaned out the cupboards and thrown a whole heap of stuff away, but I have a large amount of organic brown rice that I can't afford to replace, so I am planning on eating it anyway. Tonight's dinner was infested rice that I sat and picked the visible worms out of and rinsed several times, is this ok to eat? No one is sick yet. Everything else has been transferred into jars or thrown away. I didn't know about the freezing thing, I might try that from now on
just noticed this one - yes, this should be ok to eat, even if you don't pick out the visible worms. Remember, most processed foods are allowed a certain amount of bug/pest parts in them anyway..... And if you are cooking the food it eliminates most germ worries too...
#36 of 42 Old 01-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I bought a bunch of those traps from Lowe's
Pantry pest traps... this is what we use. The #!@ Mothra will fly into the house when the door is open, and periodically repopulate your pantry. So continuous sticky trapping is a good idea.
#37 of 42 Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Ugh, I read this thread the other day and was SOOO thankful I had never had this problem. Then I bought 2 bags of wholegrain pasta at the shops a few weeks ago and when I got it home and went to cook last night I found little brown beetles in the bottom!!!! I freaked out and am going to throw everything out but to be honest I think they came in the bags as they were all dead and were in both bags. The worst thing was is that we'd eaten half a bag of the pasta the other night :Puke I didn't tell the rest of the family though
#38 of 42 Old 01-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Ha ha ha! This thread is making me laugh. For one, it is impossible to keep all of your food away from other things that would like to eat it, too. For another, of course we would all like to believe that we are not eating bugs, their larva or eggs.
Here's one for you: When travelers were subjected to long ocean voyages that lasted months at a time, everyone had to eat food that was spoiled or defiled in some way. Otherwise you don't eat! They learned to identify what they were eating by the taste of the bug. Cockroaches taste like sausage!

Another funny: I was visiting some of my mom's friends. Eating a bowl of healthy, whole grain cold cereal one morning, I noticed that a piece of puffed wheat was moving. Lo and behold, it was a big fuzzy worm! Still alive, trying to keep itself from drowning! And I had just been about to insert that spoonful into my mouth. And that isn't the first time I found bugs floating in my cereal. Once I finished a box of Grapenuts that had been in the cupboard for who knows how long. When I went to drink the milk I found that those weren't crumbs floating around in the bowl but dozens of little worm carcasses.
So I guess the moral of the story is you are what you eat. Er, no, the moral is don't look in your bowl for bugs because you will find them! :

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#39 of 42 Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM

I think the moral is be careful where you shop, keep it in plastic containers, and don't keep it around too long. But yeah, I think it's not completely avoidable. My mom gets them way more, but she buys unusual spices at a lot of ethnic, individually owned shops, and isn't as good as me about keeping things in airtight containers (drives me crazy) or cleaning out her cupboards (i.e. tossing older things that haven't been used.) I've only found them once. Cereal and oatmeal always makes me nervous though. Guess I should be careful about pasta too. blech.
#40 of 42 Old 01-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Egads. I found two moths the other day and some ickies in our oatmeal. I tossed it and didn't give it another thought - until now!

I don't mean to hijack, but if anyone's still around, I could use some advice. I have a lot of just-purchased grains, and absolutely no room in my freezers. I took everything out and want to put it on the porch, but I'm afraid the raccoons will get to it. They've been everywhere lately. I don't have a plastic tub. What else can I use??

Thanks!
Jude
#41 of 42 Old 01-21-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
Another funny: I was visiting some of my mom's friends. Eating a bowl of healthy, whole grain cold cereal one morning, I noticed that a piece of puffed wheat was moving. Lo and behold, it was a big fuzzy worm! Still alive, trying to keep itself from drowning! And I had just been about to insert that spoonful into my mouth. And that isn't the first time I found bugs floating in my cereal. Once I finished a box of Grapenuts that had been in the cupboard for who knows how long. When I went to drink the milk I found that those weren't crumbs floating around in the bowl but dozens of little worm carcasses.
So I guess the moral of the story is you are what you eat. Er, no, the moral is don't look in your bowl for bugs because you will find them! :
Ew. Maybe the moral should be look before you eat.

I had a problem with pasta bugs/worms in my old apartment. I did end up throwing almost everything out, and everything new I bought went into those plastic Gladware/Ziploc containers.

I have to say, though, that I only had to have one experience with this before I started looking at my food before I ate it or cooked it, particularly if it's been around a while.
#42 of 42 Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterfrau View Post
Ew. Maybe the moral should be look before you eat.

I had a problem with pasta bugs/worms in my old apartment. I did end up throwing almost everything out, and everything new I bought went into those plastic Gladware/Ziploc containers.

I have to say, though, that I only had to have one experience with this before I started looking at my food before I ate it or cooked it, particularly if it's been around a while.

Both incidents happened when I was a child. It didn't scar me for life, thank goodness!
I guess I'm lucky. I think I would go crazy trying to eliminate all bugs from our food, especially since we make all our own bread and it seems like flour comes directly from the store complete with eggs and larva. I've sifted out moths from whole wheat flour when we had nothing else. Maybe I was removing a vital protein source? : Bugs are food for some people.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page