*hangs head in shame* Ummm... how DO you clean an oven? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, hypothetically, let's suppose I don't know how to clean an oven. (Yes, that would mean, since I've been living on my own for 4 years, that my oven has not been cleaned in 4 years). How would I go about doing this?

(Preferrably without harsh chemicals, although I don't have access to "special" natural products either. Just basic stuff like vinegar, BS, TTO, etc.)

:

(ETA: I do not have a self-cleaning oven. I don't even know what that is/does. I envision little robot hands coming out from behind and scrubbing, a la Jetson-style though. LOL)
#2 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM

ummm ours was so bad that after 3 years of living here, dh used his electric sander on it and ammonia, which i know is nasty, but its all that worked. i dont really know how to clean an oven either, so i'll be

:

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#3 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
ummm ours was so bad that after 3 years of living here, dh used his electric sander on it
ROFL, thanks for the laugh!!

Anybody? Or do we all have dirty ovens?
#4 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM

1. Scrape down surface with putty knife or metal pancake flipper to get any big chunks - carefully, so as not to scratch the inside of your oven.
2. Wet down entire area. Sprinke liberally with baking soda. Wait.
3. When grime has softened, wipe out.
4. Reapply baking soda and scrub. Wipe.
5. Wet down area and scrub with a pumice stone. Wipe.
6. Go after any remaining grime with steel wool. Wipe.
7. Rinse as best you can. You may want to spray sparingly with vinegar to get rid of baking soda residue.

Worked great on the disgusting mess that was my old apartment. I got most of these ideas out of my bible of home cleaning, "Clean House Clean Planet" by Karen Logan.
#5 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM

The "Queen of Clean" (sorry, no time to Google) has some instructions for doing this that involve ammonia, but nothing stronger than that. I did try it once, and got my oven cleaner, but not what I'd call clean. As long as it works, though, a clean oven pretty low on my list of priorities.
#6 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 PM

A self cleaning oven just gets really really hot and turns all the stuff in the oven into ash and you just wipe it off the oven bottom

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#7 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, I think I can officially be counted as the MOST shameful housekeeper... I've lived in my current house for 9 years and I have never cleaned my oven!

Damn. Maybe I should do that? However, I do keep a sheet of foil in the bottom that catches any spills, and throw it away when it looks gross. You just have to make sure it can't touch the element at all.

I haven't tried it on an oven (obviously) but I have found that laundry soap (if you use it) is really good at getting old accumulated grease off things.

hth.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#8 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When we moved out of our last apartment I just used ones of those steel wool scrubbie things for both the sides of the oven and the racks.
I always keeps AL foil on the bottom.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#9 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
The "Queen of Clean" (sorry, no time to Google) has some instructions for doing this that involve ammonia, but nothing stronger than that. I did try it once, and got my oven cleaner, but not what I'd call clean. As long as it works, though, a clean oven pretty low on my list of priorities.
An oven will actually work more efficiently if it is clean. Something to do with efficient use of radiant energy. That being said....My oven is gross and is on the bottom of my cleaning priority list. Although everytime I pull something out of the oven that has unevenly browned it moves up a notch. One day soon it is going to reach the top.
#10 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM

You are suppossed to clean the oven? I bought mine used 2.5 years ago, and never cleaned the inside. It is a self cleaning oven, but I don't know how to use it and have no desire to, either.
#11 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
You are suppossed to clean the oven? I bought mine used 2.5 years ago, and never cleaned the inside. It is a self cleaning oven, but I don't know how to use it and have no desire to, either.
Ditto.

My oven isn't too messy though. If I know something is going to bubble over (like a pie) I put a cookie sheet under it. Most of the stuff just turns crispy and dries up. If something big like a french fry falls in, I will take it out. :
#12 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cream of tartar mixed with white vinegar will work nicely on the oven itself........but I'm having a hard time getting the glass of the oven clean.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#13 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogguruami View Post
An oven will actually work more efficiently if it is clean. Something to do with efficient use of radiant energy. That being said....My oven is gross and is on the bottom of my cleaning priority list. Although everytime I pull something out of the oven that has unevenly browned it moves up a notch. One day soon it is going to reach the top.
Right. Like I said...as long as it works, I don't care if it's dirty.

The only reason I cleaned mine last year was that it had something on the bottom that smelled bad when I used the oven. It didn't seem to be burning off, so I bit the bullet and cleaned.
#14 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Well, I think I can officially be counted as the MOST shameful housekeeper... I've lived in my current house for 9 years and I have never cleaned my oven!
Ummm..... I've lived in this house for several years and have never used the oven : I suppose this can be counted as a tip on how to keep your oven clean.... don't use it
#15 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_monster View Post
Ummm..... I've lived in this house for several years and have never used the oven : I suppose this can be counted as a tip on how to keep your oven clean.... don't use it
I'm going to remember that in among my household tips!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#16 of 24 Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 PM

My Mum came and cleaned mine for me
#17 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 AM

I can't imagine how difficult and painful it must be to lean over down in there to scrub! Boy am I a priss!

Thank goodness we have a self-cleaning oven. Just press the button and leave the house for a couple of days! The smell should be gone by then...
#18 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 01:28 AM

We've lived here 6 years and I've never cleaned the oven. It's about 10,000 years old so I'm not even sure what it would be like clean. It doesn't look particularly "dirty" to me, though, and works fine, so I think I'll just leave it alone...
#19 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 03:10 AM

I envy you. I would happily ignore the oven, but for Passover, every single particle of leaven must be cleaned. So I ignore it all year, and then have to deal with it on top of cleaning every cabinet, drawer, surface, fridge, etc. including taking off the door of the oven and cleaning in the cracks (we do this for the freezer too). Well, at least I know that there is never more than 1 years worth of dirt at any time in the house. I am a great de-clutterer, and clean superficially every week, but just ignore that burnt smell every time I use the oven.
#20 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM

OK, I feel like a freak!

I clean my oven about every 2 months.: I find it's easier if I don't let it get too dirty between cleanings.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#21 of 24 Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppity View Post
My Mum came and cleaned mine for me
Excellent! Do you rent her out?

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#22 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM

i read this method on a website, but i can't remember the url! cover the bottom with a thick coating of baking soda and spritz w/water. every few hours spritz again. after about eight hours scrape bs and gunk out then wipe down to clean up the bs residue. even though i have a self-cleaning oven, i had to do this b/c dh let something really greasy leak onto the bottom of the oven and when i tried the self-cleaning feature, it caught on fire! talk about scary!! it really smoked up the house, and whatever it was got really rubbery. gross! well, it's gone now.
#23 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM

I've been married ten years and I've never cleaned an oven. I should really train dh to do it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#24 of 24 Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM

OK. I'm back to say that the oven is set to "clean" and the house smells, er, interesting. I tried to find info online about how long to leave it on (bought the thing used, so don't have the manual), and answers varied. I'm going with 3 hours.

But what I really wanted to mention is that "they" say that you are supposed to clean your oven every month! :

Every month, every few years, whatever.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page