Anyone with a larger home? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2400 home is getting small for us and we do live simply. Between kids with very different ages (cannot room together) and the fact that I have a business and I work full time from here I feel like what I thought of as a HUGE house has totally gotten small on us. I dont think I would need 5000 sq feet but I can see using 4000 well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 94 Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 PM

i currently live in a 3100 sq. ft. home with dh and a toddler and 3 dogs, on 1.3 acres. however, we are in the process of selling our home and are downsizing to help us free up some $$ while i sahm, as well as moving into a village with much more character and the ability to walk to local amenities. however, the downsizing we're doing is into a 2500 sq. ft. home, certainly not small. but, because it's over 100 years old, the rooms are very compartmentalized, so it feels much smaller...

i am looking forward to having a smaller home for the $$ and for having less to clean. it has also caused us to purge some of our "stuff" and think more thoughtfully about what we will own in the future.

however, if we didn't feel so financially constrained, we would have bought a 4,000 sq. ft. house in the same village we're moving into. it was slightly less than what we paid for our current home, but with loads more character: on the main drag, a grand historic home over 150 years old, just awesome!

i truly think it's great for people to buy these older homes and do what they can to fix them up/make them more efficient, regardless of how large they are. they are a part of our history and what adds character to our older communities.

and,many times, large homes have more roof area to install lots of solar panels to power themselves, as well as the more modestly-sized neighboring homes...
#93 of 94 Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM

I think we have what would be considered a "midsize" home here on mdc. It's about 1900 square feet.

We've been successful in minimizing and decluttering our home. It's always about 15 minutes from company clean, and a quick run through at night gets it picked up for the next day.

It's been a long process though. We've been decluttering now for over a year - the folks at Goodwill asked us last week how long it was going to take us to move. They've seen us so much - at least once a week for the past year.

It took me a while to get used to the clean, clear, flat surfaces and lack of junk after having lived in clutter for so long, but we love it now.

We now feel like we have time to do the things we want. Go to the park, have people over, host game nights, spend time in the garden, worm composting. Everything that we wanted to do, but seemed to take too much effort when our house was a disaster.

Simple living is where it's at!@

Me:
#94 of 94 Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Well about 5,000 sqft here...dh wanted a big house to impress his family I guess However, I love my house and we got a great deal on it. It has also allowed my mother to come and live with us. She could not possibly afford to live on her own and she has been a great help.

However, in a perfect world I would have a 3,000sqft home with a basement. The way the market is there is no way we are selling anytime soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page