Green Living Tribe - Part II - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 752 Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
really? on the NGs? i mean as a kid i did sometimes flip through my folks' shelf of them, but i probably used the world book encyclopedias more often. you can google anything now and i'm definitely not going out and buying a set of encyclopedias. seems to me (in my decluttering mode) that you could find most anything on NG's site, of course (in my recycling mode) you wouldn't have pictures you could cut out, etc. i mean, i'm not sure i appreciate my parents's collection. my mom has asked me a time or two if i'd like to have them (date from the 50s/60s i guess) and i don't really want them. NGs just seem to "special" to throw in the recycling bin, though. hrmmmmm...
I agree with the previous post that you may want to keep a few, but I'm with you. I mean, I like magazines but I like space and not being cluttered more. I'd freecycle them or take them to a used book store. I bet someone out there would love them! And it would be a shame to just recycle them.
#362 of 752 Old 06-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Just flipping through NG might introduce your kids to something they never thought of before. Then they can research further. I say keep 'em!!!
I like the idea of keeping a selection of them and selling/giving away the rest. That's what I tend to do with old magazines.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#363 of 752 Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM

NGs- I would offer them on Freecycle, call Value Village, Goodwill etc and see if they would accept them and last- recycle them. I understand what others are saying, but I have a rule in my house. If I am not currently using it, I need to donate it or lend it to others who could use it. The only thing that doesn't fall in this category are favorite baby clothes and baby items to be used for the next baby and a practical sized box of keepsakes/memorabilia.
#364 of 752 Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 PM

I'm new here but would like to subscribe! DH and I are just starting out in our journey to live greener. Our start is pretty humble...just recycling as much as possible, and avoiding bottled water. We use a Brita filter and I just ordered a Sigg cup to use while out and about. I can't believe how long we used those stupid disposable plastic bottles! (embarrassed!)

Also, another thing we are finally doing is using the resuable bags we have, and to walk for errands as much as we can.

Ok, back to reading all of these informative posts!
#365 of 752 Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 PM

hi everyone! i can't remember if i already intro'd or not : i thought we were pretty green until i started reading more here, there is just so much more we should be doing. i struggle with getting discouraged too easily...

anyway i have a few questions.

1. are you a loud outspoken advocate for green topics in general? i want to tell everyone i know and especially my family all about the things i'm learning and implementing in our lives but i also don't want to be obnoxious.

2. what are your thoughts on building houses new instead of buying an exsisting home? we are nowhere near owning a home, but we remain hopeful that someday our debt will paid off or atleast down enough that we can buy and i debate a lot with my husband about building a new home not being a very envionmentally responsible.... any thoughts?

3. i've been getting rid of a lot of plastic. i know it's better to freecycle or goodwill it, which is what i have done, but at the same time i feel bad doing that, knowing what i know about the hazardous chemicals in plastic.

ok that's all i remember at the moment. thanks everyone, looking forward to learning and discussing:

blogging.jpg 
#366 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 AM

granolapunk

1. yep. I try not to get 'in your face' about it but i point out other options and why I don't use mainstream things. exp: today I told my SIL and MIL about why I don't use normal deoterant, the type I do use, and other options instad of the chemicals on the market. Sometimes I make a diffrence sometimes I don't : alot of times though they don't even know that an option exsisted.

well it depends, a house that needs love is always good. I wouldn't buy a brand new built house that's on the market though. But buying land and building your own house gives you alot of options... strawbale homes, recycled materials, well insilated walls etc. if your building your own house I'd say its worth it and maybe even better.

better then throwing it in the dumpster.. :sthat's how i feel about 'sposie diapers.... but i give them away anyway...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#367 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
2. what are your thoughts on building houses new instead of buying an exsisting home? we are nowhere near owning a home, but we remain hopeful that someday our debt will paid off or atleast down enough that we can buy and i debate a lot with my husband about building a new home not being a very envionmentally responsible.... any thoughts?
i read a book with a chapter on this very subject, it was called your green home: a guide to planning a healthy, environmentally friendly new home.
one chapter discussed the pros and cons of building new vs. renovating an old house. they basically said that building from scratch will inevitably have a greater negative impact on the environment. part of that can be made up for by having an eco-friendly, resource-saving home, but there's still that initial impact. on the other hand, while an older home can be made very, very green, it will never be quite as green as a place that is designed specifically for environmental friendliness.
i highly recommend the book, it has fair and balanced arguments and reviews and stuff. i learned lots and lots. i got my copy from the library, hopefully you can, too.
hope that helps.
#368 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolapunk View Post
anyway i have a few questions.

1. are you a loud outspoken advocate for green topics in general? i want to tell everyone i know and especially my family all about the things i'm learning and implementing in our lives but i also don't want to be obnoxious.
Actually I did this just yesterday and I was obnoxious! I went in a store for less then 10 minutes and came out to find brochures for a bank on every ones windshield including mine. Well we all know what people do with those papers, either toss them on the ground or take them home and toss them. So I called the bank and told them if I was in need of a new bank I certainly wouldn't chose them. I went on to say how disappointed I was that they chose a method of advertising that is just going to create a large amount of trash in a parking lot. Now granted I doubt the person who answered the phone thought I was anything but a crazy person, but maybe if a few other people who were papered called as well next time they will chose a less obnoxious and wasteful way of advertising.

Julia- wife to Tom since 3/01 mom to three girls- A Dancer 9/02, An Angel 11/04 and A Gymnast 1/06 + one on the way EDD 1/10
#369 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
cool on calling the bank!

thanks y'all for the feedback on the national geos, too. it's good to know that i have company on that score. so some of y'all have a stash of them?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#370 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM

We've got an N.G. stash!

It's not like they take up so much room! Once they're stacked/lined up nicely, they look nice and are always right there for the browsing.
I think of them as sacred. When I come across a small batch at the transfer station, I often grab a few, mark them to show that they're duplicates of ones we already have, and they're used for art projects. I love collage, and the quality of NG's photography and printing are pretty much unrivaled.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#371 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 AM

Has anyone had experience hanging a clothesline against HOA regulations? I know it all depends on how strict your HOA is and if they check up on you or neighbors complain I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten away with it. I'm currently using an umbrella line against the rules so I just put it up in the morning and once the clothes are dry I take it down and put it in the house again, I've only been doing it for the past week but so far so good. I really don't want to put a line in the house, because when we did it in the past it drove dh bonkers, plus I appreciate the suns affect in bleaching the diapers and stains out of my messy toddlers clothes!

Julia- wife to Tom since 3/01 mom to three girls- A Dancer 9/02, An Angel 11/04 and A Gymnast 1/06 + one on the way EDD 1/10
#372 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM

One more question. What is the most environmentally friendly thing to do with pet waste? Everything I've read says not to compost it so dh has been flushing the dog poop to avoid putting it in plastic bags and sending it out in the trash, he has also just started switching the cats over to wheat litter which is also flush-able. But now I'm thinking isn't that contributing to water waste as well? Then again we flush our own waste so maybe it's the same thing. Has anyone looked into the best method of disposal or what do you all do?

#373 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubsjm View Post
Has anyone had experience hanging a clothesline against HOA regulations? I know it all depends on how strict your HOA is and if they check up on you or neighbors complain I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten away with it. I'm currently using an umbrella line against the rules so I just put it up in the morning and once the clothes are dry I take it down and put it in the house again,
:

I've been wondering the same thing. We currently rent an older home that is governed by a HOA. It's not that strict EXCEPT for things like clotheslines. I've been thinking about getting one of those umbrella kinds, but our neighbors are really nosy and the type to tell the landlord. I hope to hear what others have done.
#374 of 752 Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM

subbing!
#375 of 752 Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 AM

Signing up! Lots of great green stuff here, I love it. I just read this whole thread very good reading. I so want to go Biodiesel, maybe sometime soon.

I'm so irritated about HOA not allowing laundry lines, that just seems crazy to me. I love seeing laundry drying in the breeze it's such a homey sight.

That's it for now just want to subscribe to this thread. Talk to you later.
#376 of 752 Old 06-23-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Has anyone had experience hanging a clothesline against HOA regulations? !
Mmmmmmm more reason I don't live in the states! I feel if you own something you should be able to do whatever you freaking want with it.

do you have a fence you could hide it behind?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#377 of 752 Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
do you have a fence you could hide it behind?
I do have it behind a fence in my backyard, it's actually right up on my back patio in the center of my backyard, so the only place it is visible from is various neighbors backyards. So I'm hoping the only way I'll get in trouble is if one of my neighbors reports me and I'm counting on them not to do that, we shall see.

#378 of 752 Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Has anyone had experience hanging a clothesline against HOA regulations? I know it all depends on how strict your HOA is and if they check up on you or neighbors complain I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten away with it. I'm currently using an umbrella line against the rules so I just put it up in the morning and once the clothes are dry I take it down and put it in the house again, I've only been doing it for the past week but so far so good. I really don't want to put a line in the house, because when we did it in the past it drove dh bonkers, plus I appreciate the suns affect in bleaching the diapers and stains out of my messy toddlers clothes!
We got a notice on our door about a week after we put ours up: nothing above the fenceline. So we took a hack saw to it, and now it's a foot shorter, and lives below the fenceline

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#379 of 752 Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM

Subscribing and now I'm going to go back to the beginning to read the whole thing and come out on the other side smarter and greener! Thanks!

Seema
#380 of 752 Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
One more question. What is the most environmentally friendly thing to do with pet waste?
I was just thinking about this. I am also curious on what the best thing to do is?
#381 of 752 Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Subbing.

I'm committed to buy all Energy Star appliances.

I am actively pestering dh to buy a Honda Civic because I don't need the damn van for around town trips. (he's going on about costs, I want to keep the van for skiing and pulling the boat.)
Buying efficient light bulbs except in the Livingroom, Diningroom, and bedrooms because they still bother my eyes.

I just switched to grass fed organic milk and organic free range eggs.
#382 of 752 Old 06-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Wouldn't burying the pet waste be best? a Compoop pile?
#383 of 752 Old 06-25-2007, 07:16 PM

i've read different things about the pet waste. apparently it can leach into the ground water? i dunno. why that's worse than putting it in the landfill is beyond me. we flush occasionally, although it's a pretty gross job. we just let a lot of it lie and decompose in our yard naturally, which is probably gross, too, but it's in areas where the kids don't play. we have a very wooded yard. which kinda brings me to my next question...

we really have a very very very wooded yard. it's in the middle of town, but our town loves trees and not necessarily lawns, although there are plenty of those, too. anyway, i don't want to cut down trees, but i long to have a real garden. we've been in this house about 10 years and i've tried different patches of ground that get dappled sunlight with not much success. it's really like we live in the woods. we have no grass, but plenty of english ivy, curse you former homeowners. i have had pots on the deck and that seems to work just barely okay. we get a few tomatoes and some lettuce and maybe a pepper or two, but if i had my dream sunny quarter acre i would have so much stuff i'd have to cancel our CSA! so should we sacrifice some trees for some sun and growing our own food? none of the trees are gorgeous specimens, but they are all soaking up CO2 and giving us good O2. should we just move? we've talked about it, but we've got a lot of fixing up to finish, before we could sell. we might like to move to the mountains (3.5/4 hrs from here, but no job prospects and the thought of moving really makes me take a deep deep breath.) should i just suck it up and continue with the measley potted garden onthe deck? i think i'm doomed under any scenario. not sure we get enough sun anywhere w/o really clearing out some trees and i'm not sure the soil is good enough anyway boo-hoo .

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#384 of 752 Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I'll let you know if we get into trouble..

The way I see it, we own the place so they can't evict us without warning. It's 105 outside, and when we run the drier it's 110 inside! There is no way around it! I do put sheets in the drier since our balcony is too small for them.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#385 of 752 Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 AM

So for the dog poo thing, they do sell a thingy that you burry in the ground and you put the poo in it with this enzyme stuff and it breaks it all down and then leaches it out into the ground. It's supposed to be safe and all that we had one when I was growing up and I seem to remember it working well. I'm going to try to find a link for one. I also remember reading somewhere that you are not supposed to flush dog doo. I don't know why and can't even remember right now where I read that.

Beanma, as far as your trees go, if you are planning on staying a while I might choose to sacrifice a bit of the trees if you can find a good spot for a little garden. If you're worried about not having good enough soil then I would say just do some raised beds and bring in some great soil to fill the beds. Your veggies will absorb some CO2 and produce some lovely O2 plus nourishment for your tummy too.

Off to look for a link to the dog poo disposal.

O.K. I found a link, this is what I was talking about.
http://uniquedistributors.com/doggiedooley.html
#386 of 752 Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM

okay, got another question for y'all. i'm thinking of painting my cabinets and want to do it in the greenest way i can. see my thread here and help me out -- http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=700735 .

thanks

#387 of 752 Old 06-26-2007, 04:36 PM

New to this thread... drawn in by the doggie dooley conversation.

We've been talking about getting one of those, but Alaska doesn't seem like the ideal place for it.

Grr... just found this quote on the site: "These units may not function properly when ground temperature reaches 40 degrees or less. You can extend the use time by adding warm water and using our Liquid Super Dijest-It Septic System Digester."

I've never lived anywhere where it DOESN'T get waaaaaay below 40 degrees for at least a few months. Ah well.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#388 of 752 Old 06-26-2007, 07:04 PM

beanma:

Oh, I know their gonna pull my treehugger card for saying this but... just cut down the #@!% trees! : I never thought that would come from me!

Really though, pick the two or so trees that would make the biggest difference (probably the southernmost ones) and cut them down. Make some beautiful furniture out of the wood (oh! maybe even kitchen cabinet doors!) or chop it up and compost it. If you still feel too guilty donate some money or time to a tree planting project in a low-income neighborhood or close to a freeway where they really need trees. Then, use the new sunny space you've made very wisely. Check out vertical gardening or urban gardening techniques. Someone else said raised planter beds to deal w/ the poor soil... I agree but in the meantime be adding compost to your soil to build it up where it needs to be.

It sounds like you're planning on being in the house for awhile w/ all your remodeling plans so don't feel guilty making it work for you! Think about all the *very* locally grown organic produce you can feed your family! Maybe you can even make covered planting beds and grow all year!

BTW... English Ivy was considered a panacaea in Medieval England... so don't curse it too much... just use it, it's good for your skin... and try to keep it off the house!

I don't know what to tell you about the cabinets. You're just looking for a quick fix and not for too long of a time period anyhow so I would just paint them. Do a quick sanding first to rough up the surface. I don't think you're going to have a problem. Personally, I paint over everything, I've never had anything bubble or flake off like people tell me it will.

Good Luck!
#389 of 752 Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 PM

thanks, delfuego (like dan zanes, btw?). i'm not even sure which trees i would need to cut, but it's good to know that you wouldn't turn me into the green police if i did axe a few.

thanks for the feedback on the cabinets, too. i think i might give it a whirl with one door and see if it looks like it's going to work before i do the whole shebang.

#390 of 752 Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM

well, i had actually never heard of dan zanes... so i had to go look him up. it's funny i was just at the library yesterday getting a bunch of music for ds. he's really into music so i thought he might appreciate having some of his own cd's. of course there's alot of crappy kids music out there so i just stuck w/ the classics. i got some pete seeger, woody guthrie, ella jenkins and of course... "not for kids only". i'll have to check out dan zanes when i go back. any more suggestions?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page