Green Living Tribe - Part II - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
So is the Thermos brand free from coating? Just stainless steel? I think so...if so that is great b/c I love them and they look cool!
Yup!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Can someone post a link to these Thermos cups and are they made in china?
#423 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
You might like this sippy:

http://www.thermos.com/SubCategories...og&SubMenuID=0

My son has it and it seems to work fine for him.

We have the KK sippy and never used it. It's too tall and doesn't have handles. But YMMV.
i have no idea where it is made. If you figure it out let me know. Does anyone know where the KK is made?
#424 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
Can someone post a link to these Thermos cups and are they made in china?
This is all I could find, from this website:

"Thermos products are now manufactured in the Far East."

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#425 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Does anyone know where the KK is made?
China. It's not printed on the bottles, but mine said so on the sticker on the bottom when I bought them. I'm nervous about all this China stuff, too, and frustrated by how difficult it is to avoid! At least in this case, it's just a stainless steel bottle, not a food that could have additives or something with potentially toxic paint. I think all stainless steel is equally inert, regardless of the specific alloy (I'll try to remember to ask my hubby later, he knows a lot about metals).

There is no secret ingredient.
#426 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Okay, thanks for the link. Those are nice. They are about the same price as the siggs bottles I think. I'm leaning toward those since the KK is made in china. I know they are probably safe enough but I'm just trying not to support that economy anymore if I can help it. It is tough though since so many baby things are made in china. :
#427 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i hate all that made-in-china stuff, too. it's not that i don't want chinese people to make stuff, but i don't need to support the kind of petroleum expenditure it takes to get it to me and i am leery about safety both of consumables (since the melamine dog food thing) and also w/ respect to the environment.

go local baby!

so i just got finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. what an inspiring read, especially at the very end. i really wanna grow more of our food, but some of you may have read my whining about our shady yard before. we do have a great farmer's mkt and belong to a wonderful CSA so that's comforting. the book is about food, but more than food, too. it's about local economies and self-sufficent communities (not survivalism) and really about how the little steps we can take may be enough even if we get disheartened and think they aren't -- they might just be. highly recommend it!

so, the other things i wanted to post to our tribe about are two petitions i got today. one is about organic foods --

Quote:
www.ewg.org/organics/petition

Congress is about to vote on a new Farm Bill, which could be the first to include fair funding for organics. But to make this happen, our Representatives need to hear from us!

Act now. Add your name to the Grow Organics petition and join the fight for pesticide-free produce. EWG Action Fund's goal is 30,000 signatures by July 15. Tell Congress to vote for organics.
and the other is on the energy bill:

Quote:
http://ucsaction.org/campaign/07_10_...e_energy_bill/

Tell The House to Green Up The Energy Bill

The Energy Bill, passed by the Senate last month, made important progress toward addressing America’s oil and environmental security—but it needs to be stronger. While the Senate did increase fuel economy standards for the first time in more than 30 years, they unfortunately included unnecessary loopholes that could undermine the new 35 mile per gallon standard. The bill also lacked a renewable energy standard requiring utilities to produce a percentage of our electricity from clean, renewable sources like the wind and sun. And the increase in biofuels production included in the bill needs stronger safeguards against global warming pollution to protect our air, soil, and water.

Thankfully, we still have a chance to strengthen this critical bill now that action moves to the House. Please let your representative know that you want an Energy Bill that locks in strong fuel economy standards, guarantees more clean energy for consumers, and ensures that biofuels are part of the global warming solution, not part of the problem.
pass 'em along!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#428 of 752 Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 PM

flowers --- just had to comment .....

I jusy viewed your myspace page and I don't know why but the song and the slideshow made me weep....so peacefully and happily, I weeped!

btw - I'm a Hilary, too!

Thanks, I needed a happy tear!
#429 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 AM

Yes I found another family!!! I'm sorry I haven't read through all of the first and second thread, just excited to be connected with like minds...I am all about green - we are going to have a space where I can grow all of our food, yes even humanure composting will be a part! I am looking to live off grid close to a freshwater source - I think the only way we can begin living - enjoying life and in harmony - is by returning to nature. I have been eating raw vegan style only a month and a half and I feel soooooo great - it is so easy to move around, full of energy, clarity, renewed life purpose...also dropped 14 pounds so far without trying and still losing...I feel like I am finally just awake! Thank you! : )
#430 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

fyi, the Sigg lining is an epoxy, but the company says it doesn't contain BPA. I started with a plain stainless steel bottle, but it was too big and the mouth hole was too big, so I got a Sigg that was a better size for me.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#431 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM

: :
subbing

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#432 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly where to post this but figured someone here might know. I am looking for a good article on the leaching in all the plastic water bottles/containers etc. I just bought a bunch of stainless steel ones for myself, DH and DD and want a good article with facts to give to my parents about it. If anyone knows of a good one, please send me the link. Thanks!
#433 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 12:18 PM

I don't post here much, but am definitely striving to make our lives more "green". For those of you that pack lunches daily, for kids or yourself, what do you use for packaging things such as grapes, pretzels, chips, and what not? I'm not buying "ziploc" type bags anymore and am looking for alternatives. Ideas?

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#434 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure exactly where to post this but figured someone here might know. I am looking for a good article on the leaching in all the plastic water bottles/containers etc. I just bought a bunch of stainless steel ones for myself, DH and DD and want a good article with facts to give to my parents about it. If anyone knows of a good one, please send me the link. Thanks!
I think I just found a pretty good one HERE. I need to read it myself for more education.
#435 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
i hate all that made-in-china stuff, too. it's not that i don't want chinese people to make stuff, but i don't need to support the kind of petroleum expenditure it takes to get it to me and i am leery about safety both of consumables (since the melamine dog food thing) and also w/ respect to the environment.

go local baby!

so i just got finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. what an inspiring read, especially at the very end. i really wanna grow more of our food, but some of you may have read my whining about our shady yard before. we do have a great farmer's mkt and belong to a wonderful CSA so that's comforting. the book is about food, but more than food, too. it's about local economies and self-sufficent communities (not survivalism) and really about how the little steps we can take may be enough even if we get disheartened and think they aren't -- they might just be. highly recommend it!

so, the other things i wanted to post to our tribe about are two petitions i got today. one is about organic foods --

and the other is on the energy bill:

pass 'em along!
thanks for posting the title of that book. everyday i mean to go get it, but i never remember to search for the title!
#436 of 752 Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't post here much, but am definitely striving to make our lives more "green". For those of you that pack lunches daily, for kids or yourself, what do you use for packaging things such as grapes, pretzels, chips, and what not? I'm not buying "ziploc" type bags anymore and am looking for alternatives. Ideas?
We use this:

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

LOVE it, but it is plastic. Search for stainless steel bento boxes if you want to avoid plastic.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#437 of 752 Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 AM

in response to lunch/snack holders...

i use these and LOVE them. they are PUL inners, so they are waterproof-ish. i don't know if PUL is as leaching as nasty, does anyone else know for sure? i just like the reusability, supporting a person instead of a company, and cuteness the woman who makes them is super sweet too.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5037872

blogging.jpg 
#438 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 AM

those look great!

it's so expensive to invest in not plastic stuff. I bought a bunhc of PUL because I had read here it was safe and didn't leech. don't know for sure other than I took someone's word for it.

anyoneknow?

I have been meaning to make snack baggies with it. but so far all I've done is cut it up and not much else.

this thread is great! that was a fabulous informative article about plastics full fo great links!
#439 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM

i may have missed it, since this thread is so long!! but does anyone use solar panels? we are looking into buying a house right now and i really want to outfit it with solar panels and wondered if anyone could share pointers and experiences. we live in massachusetts.

thanks!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#440 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Hi there, we don't have solar panels because we are still renting but we have researched it extensively. Check out realgoods.com for prices on different setups and kit packages. I know it is also a good idea to do some research and see if your state offers any type of rebates or incentives of installing with solar.

The biggest thing I learned so far is that you can go as big or small as you want. Solar systems to power everything in your house at the standard of living you have now can be tens of thousands of dollars initially. If that sounds like a lot you can determine what types of electricity you can live without and if you live in a smaller home you can get by with less. Real goods even has small cabin kits for around $1000 but that would be living off grid in probably a 500SF type of space just to give you an idea of how much solar can vary to individual needs. I'm sure others will give you more information.
#441 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
For those of you that pack lunches daily, for kids or yourself, what do you use for packaging things such as grapes, pretzels, chips, and what not? I'm not buying "ziploc" type bags anymore and am looking for alternatives. Ideas?
We mainly use bags left over from packaged foods: cereal, tortillas, bagels, etc. We rinse them out, dry them over cooking utensils in the dish drainer, and use them again, until they get holes or mold or something. Another option is to use small dishes with lids--plastic ones are lighter weight (and even the semi-disposable type last years with proper care) but there are also ceramic and Pyrex containers. If the risk of breakage is low you can use baby-food jars or other small jars--hoisin sauce and similar condiments often come in small jars perfect for carrot sticks.

We just got back from a convention where we helped a bunch of friends run a Looney Labs demo and tournament room. Obviously, being away from home, we all have to eat in restaurants for some of our meals, but that gets expensive, and most of the restaurants around there serve in plastic-foam boxes...so we minimize it by screening off one corner of the room as a "kitchen". Somebody brings a bread machine and peanut butter, somebody brings a variety of homemade jams, somebody brings a dispenser that he keeps filled with ice water, various people buy fruit and cheese and chips and salsa at the nearby market, and most of us bring washable dishes for ourselves. My family always brings salads because our farm share arrives the day before we leave, and at this time of year it's mostly salad stuff! I collect all the portion-sized containers I wouldn't mind losing and make an individual salad in each one, and we put them in a cooler with a couple bottles of salad dressing. Most people put their empty containers back in the cooler, so we bring them home to wash and use again...but if they recycle them or take them home themselves, it's no big deal.

In past years we've used our washable dishes for the hotel's free breakfast, but this year we stayed in a different hotel where all the food was individually wrapped and the coffee machine was annoying: It was the type where you put your cup in the slot and press a button and it makes the coffee or latte or whatever into your cup...and the slot was too small for our travel mugs! We had to get one of their 8oz foam cups and pour the coffee from there into our mugs, but at least we used only one cup each day for however much coffee the two of us drank. I think the smaller of our ceramic mugs from home would've fit, but we hadn't brought them.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#442 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 02:35 PM

so how about a link for turning your car into veg oil powered?

i'm a little behind the times, but "who killed the electric car?" finally came from our queue and hol-y-crap. i was so disgusted, appalled, infuriated, disheartened, confused and sadly, not surprised. my husband and i have been talking about it for days, it just really reminded us how nastily and crazily all those big companies and the government and media are so intertwined...scary. aaaanyway, is veggie oil power realistic for everyday living mama folk?

blogging.jpg 
#443 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 PM

All of you green living people. Do you live in a green community or eco-community? Would you like to live in a green community? We are moving to one in Northenrn California near Mt Shasta. It only costs $20,000.00 for a hectare in our community. The idea is that you keep that piece of land creating a space of love for your children and then pass it along to them.
There will be no noise, light, air, earth, or water polution on the land. It will be 1750 acres total. There will be dirt and gravel roads but not for cars. Bikes , horses or walking will be our way of getting around. Alot of us will start by living in a yurt which you can buy for around $6000.00 Also a yome is only $3000.00.
There is more to the philosophy of our eco community which you can find out about by reading the book Anastasia by Vladimir Megre. There is already over 150 of these eco communities in Russia with over 100 families each. That is over 15,000 families living in a new way. It is working and we can change society to be a more conscious and loving place to live in.

If any of you live in an eco community already please tell about your experience.
Donanne
#444 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Your community sounds great. I've looked into those but DH says no way. He doesn't want to deal with community guidelines and I guess a lot of those costs are more like leasing the land, not really owning it. Maybe you could clear that up. Is 20K to own that piece of land or just leasing a part of the property? That is an awful lot of money to not own something and then have to pay to build something else. That is the biggest reason we didn't consider it. Some of those communities look wonderful though. I would love to hear more from people who have experiences with them since we want to one day buy a yurt ourselves.
#445 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
veggie oil for cars -- yes! it's totally doable. AJP who has posted on this thread can tell you more about it, too. i'll give a brief explanation in case folks don't know the differences in terms and would be happy to answer any questions i can. we drive VW TDIs we run on biodiesel.

biofuels = fuel derived from vegetable matter, veggie oil, animal fat. these include ethanol (typically from corn), and biodiesel (can be produced from any kind of fat, from virgin soybean oil to used french fry grease, to chicken fat), and maybe some others i can't think of right now.

grease cars = diesel engine vehicles that have been modified to run on veggie oil (either virgin or filtered used oil, also known as Waste Veggie Oil -- WVO )

biodiesel = a biofuel derived from oil/grease/fat that can fuel a diesel engine with NO MODIFICATION to the engine. can be homebrewed or bought. some fuel stations mix it with pertroleum diesel to create blends. B100 is 100% biodiesel. B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum diesel.

some helpful links:

http://biodieselcommunity.org/
http://www.biodiesel.org/
http://www.biofuels.coop/
http://www.greasecar.com/
http://www.elsbett.com/engl/index.htm

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#446 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 05:18 PM

For those that have HOA problems with visible clotheslines, take a look at this. They are kinda spendy, but if your crafty, you could make one. Just a thought.
#447 of 752 Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
veggie oil for cars -- yes! it's totally doable. AJP who has posted on this thread can tell you more about it, too.
I haven't used straight veggie oil, but we've been running biodiesel in our diesel-engine Jeep for about 1 1/2 years now. We have no filling stations near us that sell it at the pump, so we get it 300 gal. at a time through a biofuels co-op in the nearest city and store it at home (that amount lasts us about 6 months). We use 100% biodiesel most of the time, although in the coldest part of winter we'll mix in small amounts of petrol diesel to keep the fuel from gelling. We might modify the vehicle at some point to be able to use straight veggie oil, but haven't done it yet.

There is no secret ingredient.
#448 of 752 Old 07-14-2007, 12:43 AM

I wonder if there are any communities like that close by me.
#449 of 752 Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I'm a person who has been trying my best to live green since high school. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. OK. I have the pastic bags from the newspaper. (when it rains) Can they be recycled and if so where??
#450 of 752 Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Hi everyone. I'm a person who has been trying my best to live green since high school. I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. OK. I have the pastic bags from the newspaper. (when it rains) Can they be recycled and if so where??
Hmm, I'm sure they can be recycled. They should have a number on the bottom somewhere to tell what kind of plastic they are and then I would get a hold of your local recycling company to see what they accept and also start service if you don't already have some.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page