Green Living Tribe - Part II - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I wrote a post about this here, but does anyone know if you can use straight rainwater for laundry? I could rig up a rain barrel just outside the basement window above our washer, feeding a hose through with a nozzle that can be turned on and off.

But I don't know if the water would be harboring bacteria that would be harmful. I would only use it for the first wash of cold (the final rinse would be regular tap water) and not at all for loads on hot.

I'm excited about this idea but I can't seem to find any idea for using straight rainwater (everything I've googled talks about rainwater harvesting systems).
sounds like a good idea! From a microbial perspective, I think that if you're not storing the water for extended periods and you're using a "clean" collection/tubing system then you wouldn't have growth. I'm not sure I'd drink it, but should be fine for washing clothes. Although if you have to store it for a while to get enough to wash with, then I think you'd' have to start considering microbial growth (fungal as well as bacterial since rainwater is slightly on the acidic side) If you live in a very polluted area, e.g. a city w/ a lot of smog, then rainwater is going to pick up stuff like that. I think what you're describing sounds more like a cistern, so you may want to do some searches on that...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
as for the lunchbox/lunch bag, we have something like this -- http://www.reusablebags.com/store/co...nts-p-432.html , but in a rainbow otter print. i'm plenty happy with the bag it's just the what goes inside that's got me stumped. i can't seem to get my head around using glass, but if there was a metal option that dd1 could work that would be great.
What about this??

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/si...rge-p-235.html

That one is a large size, but they also come in a smaller size.
#63 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 02:01 PM

What about those metal lunch tins that click on top top of each other and make up a 3 or 5 container lunch box? Has anyone else seen these? You could definitely put yogurt, or anything in them.
#64 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Hi folks! What a fantastic thread. I'm subbing!
#65 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
nora, i've thought of theose sigg containers, but i'm not sure of the sizes. i think they might be too big for some of what i have in mind. right now i'm just using rubbermaid take-a-longs in various sizes. i need some small containers for a few strawberries and another for cheddar bunnies and then something bigger for a sandwich and maybe some carrots. don't want to mix the crackers in there or then they get not-crunchy if downright soggy. i'm afraid the big metal lunch tins (tiffins?) would be too hard for my 6 yr old to work and not beautiful enough either. the lanptop lunch is not really floating my boat. i saw one in action today and it was okay, but i fear that my dog would chew up the plastic lid and then i'd be lidless for those little containers. i do appreciate that they say they tried to use plastic that has less bad stuff in it, though. wonder if there are any little metal containers with plastic lids like spice containers or something. plastic lids wouldn't be my first choice, but it might work...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#66 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 PM

I just found this, beanma......

http://www.freundcontainer.com/produ...22-8_A_cn_E_60

There's a lot of different stuff on this site.....
#67 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
sounds like a good idea! From a microbial perspective, I think that if you're not storing the water for extended periods and you're using a "clean" collection/tubing system then you wouldn't have growth. I'm not sure I'd drink it, but should be fine for washing clothes. Although if you have to store it for a while to get enough to wash with, then I think you'd' have to start considering microbial growth (fungal as well as bacterial since rainwater is slightly on the acidic side) If you live in a very polluted area, e.g. a city w/ a lot of smog, then rainwater is going to pick up stuff like that. I think what you're describing sounds more like a cistern, so you may want to do some searches on that...
I think I'm going to pass on this idea, though I was really excited about it at first. Maybe I'll concentrate on collecting the reverse osmosis wastewater and using that for washing clothes.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#68 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Okay, here's a weird question...

I have such bad eczema on my hands that I can't put them in water (other than quick rinses after bathroom use). Showering is definitely out unless I wear gloves. So I react to the latex ones (nothing major, just makes my eczema worse), and a couple of other kinds. The only ones I don't react to are nitrile ones. I use them 3 times until they start getting to the point where they are no longer waterproof. I HATE the fact that I am creating so much waste by doing this. Does anyone have any idea of a reusable glove that fits tightly on your hand to keep my hands dry? I thought of dish washing gloves, but they are so bulky and stiff and I already have a hard enough time trying to tell if the conditioner is out of my hair when I can't really feel it!

Okay, I know that was such a weird question, but I thought I'd ask

Also, we are getting ready to paint the inside of our house. We are planning on using AFM Safecoat paint. Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering how well it covers and if we'll need multiple applications...

And what is the deal with the lining on the inside of the Sigg bottles? I've read conflicting things, but one consistent thing I've read is that if it is damaged somehow, it can leach stuff into the drink. But how exactly is it damaged?

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#69 of 752 Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
And what is the deal with the lining on the inside of the Sigg bottles? I've read conflicting things, but one consistent thing I've read is that if it is damaged somehow, it can leach stuff into the drink. But how exactly is it damaged?
I'm not sure about if it's damaged, but Sigg bottles were cleared of their ties to Bisphenol-A.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#70 of 752 Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM

About glass jars in the lunch bag, my dd doesn't carry her own, I keep it in our backpack, so its pretty protected from breakage, and I'm usually the one who gets the snacks out, so I have no brilliant ideas. But there are some great stainless containers out there: http://www.reusablebags.com/store/st...all-p-531.html

On the SF bag ban, that ROCKS! I got one of my re-useables from Ireland when my mom visited there, she bought it b/c she would be charged for every bag every time she shopped (not a big re-user here, but I'm working on her!). I would be thrilled to see this happen country-wide, does anyone know what we can do to help it along?

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#71 of 752 Old 03-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Try Pyrex or Corningware containers. Pyrex is glass designed to withstand high temperatures, so it's less breakable than regular glass. Corningware is ceramic and also very hard to break. The lids are flexible plastic similar to the ones on plastic containers, but at least it's less plastic touching your food. (There are also ones with Pyrex lids that have a knob on top; if you choose a rectangular container rather than a round one, you can use an elastic band around the knob, around the container, then back around the knob to hold the lid on. This is what I do with my larger containers when taking them to potlucks.) The only downside is that they're kind of heavy.

I carry my juice for my lunch at work in glass bottles that came from Tropicana juices 4 years ago. (I believe they now use plastic bottles only.) I just wash them over and over again. I used this same style of bottle for my juice when I was in first grade, so it's been 5 years total, and I've only ever broken one of them, when I dropped my metal lunchbox on the sidewalk. After that my mom started wrapping the bottle in a cloth napkin (and then I didn't need to use a paper napkin at school!), and as an adult I use a cloth insulated bag.

For over a year when my son was smaller, we packed his lunch for childcare in reused glass baby-food jars. He also has a cloth insulated bag, but the jars clanked together inside it, and none of them ever broke. This is despite my occasionally smacking the bag into something as I struggled onto and off of public transit carrying a baby and a bunch of gear!

So I think glass is a fine type of container, except for a child who tends to be really rough with the lunchbox/bag.

We have some random utensils that don't match our set, which we pack with lunches. I also pack a cloth napkin and put it in the wash once a week, or sooner if it gets really messy.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#72 of 752 Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM

:

Subbing! I'll write more when my family isn't dragging me outside!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#73 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 02:07 AM

subbing . . . so glad to be here!!!!
#74 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Have you guys heard about Step It Up 2007?You can search for an action in your area or if there isn't one yet, start one!
I am SOOOO going!! YAY!! I have always wanted to do some peaceful activism... So, DD and I will be spending the day at the Marina with other tree-huggers!! Fun Fun!

Too bad she is weaned, I could have done some first-hand bf'ing advocacy!
#75 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's_mommy View Post
Wow! I can't believe I haven't seen anything posted about the plastic bag ban in San Francisco!!! If you don't bring a recyclable plastic bag to the grocery store, they charge you! Love it! That would certainly help me remember to bring mine!!!!!
I heard that Whole Foods is going to do the same thing... I wish we had something like that in this area... *sigh*
If I was charged for the plastic, I might ACTUALLY remember to bring in my great reusable bags! (rather than leaving them at home all the time...)
#76 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishCT View Post
I heard that Whole Foods is going to do the same thing... I wish we had something like that in this area... *sigh*
If I was charged for the plastic, I might ACTUALLY remember to bring in my great reusable bags! (rather than leaving them at home all the time...)
Really?! Cool!!!

Did you read that online somewhere? Do you remember where? I'm off to search and see if I can find it...

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#77 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the cookware info about the cast iron.

WooHoo SF!!!! Although, I would probably get charged a few times. I just can't seem to remember to take my canvas bag with me. I'm gonna get some of the chico bags I think. My local HFS has started carrying them -- buy 4 get one free!

Anyone watch some of the documentaries on Link TV? Like Out of the Box and such? I just found that channel and it has been on my dish all along.
#78 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Really?! Cool!!!

Did you read that online somewhere? Do you remember where? I'm off to search and see if I can find it...
not sure where i heard it... sorry...
#79 of 752 Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I think I'm going to pass on this idea, though I was really excited about it at first. Maybe I'll concentrate on collecting the reverse osmosis wastewater and using that for washing clothes.
i haven't been around lately but still sneak a peak for some ideas every once in a while....

i really like this idea of using the RO waste water! how do you go about doing this, though? it could probably be used to water plants, too, eh?

stephanie asl.gif

#80 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i haven't been around lately but still sneak a peak for some ideas every once in a while....

i really like this idea of using the RO waste water! how do you go about doing this, though? it could probably be used to water plants, too, eh?
I set up a rain barrel in the basement and have the wastewater line feed into it. It's kind of putzy right now because I have to use the spigot on the rain barrel to fill a bucket, and then dump the bucket of water into the washer. And of course one bucket does not fill a washing machine.

I think if I had the rain barrel raised up higher I might be able to use a hose instead, but then the line for the RO wastewater would have to be higher than the RO unit itself, and I'm worried about the water flowing back into the system, if that makes any sense. Sorry, I'm really tired.

Anyway, I just started doing this today so we'll see how well it works.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#81 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 AM

I just wanted to post that I saw these guys on Canada AM today. I didn't catch the whole thing, but there's a form on their site that you can print off and bring in to your retailer. There's also a little calculator on the page which allows you to calculate how many plastic bags you'd be saving in a year if you had reusable bags. 1000 bags for my family alone in one year. Yikes!

I have my own bags but I'm still not used to them. They're often left in the trunk.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#82 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I noticed yesterday that Giant Eagle, the major supermarket chain in this area, is now selling reusable bags for 99c.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#83 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 PM

I am so excited :

I'm going to see Al Gore and his Inconvenient Truth presentation tonite!!!

Woo Hoo! I just wanted to share here, since yall would understand how excited I am...

My office is helping put the event on and so we were able to get tickets (the general seating ones sold out in like an hour), and I can finally get excited bc my boss promised they wouldn't take our tickets away at the last minute to give to the big wigs attending (my biggest fear)

I hope it is good!

#84 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I am so excited :

Wow! Good for you! That is going to be so rad! Live it up for us and share afterwards!
#85 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Subbing! :

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#86 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I am so excited :

Woo Hoo! I just wanted to share here, since yall would understand how excited I am...

My office is helping put the event on and so we were able to get tickets (the general seating ones sold out in like an hour), and I can finally get excited bc my boss promised they wouldn't take our tickets away at the last minute to give to the big wigs attending (my biggest fear)

I hope it is good!
Have an awesome time! That'll be really cool.

So you guys. I hate my diva cup. I finally broke down and bought one and I don't like it It makes my cramps about 10 times worse. Has anyone else experienced this?
#87 of 752 Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Just wanted to announce that we bought our first "human" powered lawn mower today!! We love it! It works great!
#88 of 752 Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Just wanted to announce that we bought our first "human" powered lawn mower today!! We love it! It works great!
We have one, too, that we love! One piece of advice: keep your blades sharpened! This makes the difference of loving life or wanting to set your yard on fire.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#89 of 752 Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
We have one, too, that we love! One piece of advice: keep your blades sharpened! This makes the difference of loving life or wanting to set your yard on fire.
k. and what do you use to sharpen them?
#90 of 752 Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

I just wanted to report back -

Al Gore was amazing, even more so in person than in the movie! His presentation had some updated items and he made jokes and told funny stories all the way through... I have to say, he is very very funny!

OT - He is also thinner in person than on tv, and I guess the saying about the camera adding 10 pounds is true

It was very good and there was a lot of energy in the crowd and a lot of students held rallies and events before the talk...

Anyways, if you have an opportunity to see him do the presentation, DEFINITELY GO!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page