Green Living Tribe - Part II - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 752 Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm scared to watch the meatrix! I have OCD and don't wanna get images in my head I can't get out. I just wanna know as a non-veg where to get meat from ethical ranchers.

Does anyone subscribe to Plenty Magazine? They couple I have picked up at Whole Foods have been pretty good.
#122 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I mentioned this is the first thread, but it's worth repeating - there's a good book on global warming and the evidence that human activity is accelerating it beyond the natural climate cycles, it's called The Weathermakers, http://www.theweathermakers.com/. It's academic, logical and scientific enough that highly educated skeptics can't really poke holes in it, if they're being intellectually honest (IMO).
I totally agree! This is an excellent book!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#123 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 AM

We just watched the "End of Oil" Series on LinkTV -- WOW! Seems like everything I watch related to environmentalism now motivates me more and more. DH is stoked too! He's wondering about converting propane vehicles to run on hydrogen and making hydrogen at home. I read an article a year or so ago (I believe in Plenty mag) about a couple who made their own hydrogen using solar power to do it.

Thank you to the poster who posted the blog about the person trying to go plastic free for a year. That's awesome! It's made me take notice a lot more about where all plastic enters my life. I'm shocked about how often it's there. I may not be able to do it to the degree that blogger has (right now at least), but the next time I go for shampoo, I'll check out the Burt's Bee's. (Not quite ready to go nopoo yet )
#124 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Is there any one here who doesn't use trash bags? We have a friend who doesn't and we were considering doing it and probably using a pail liner (because DH wouldn't want to constantly wash the trash can). Just wondering if anyone does this and if so what you use instead. Thanks!

*sub*
#125 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Yep, building a cob tea house in the backyard to see if we like the building technique when it is just us and not a workshop Both my husband and I work as well as I cook everything we eat and try to grow as much as possible. Sew. Spin. Learning to weave. There just is not enough time in the day for everything!!! So, the cob is vvveeerrryyyy ssslllloooowww
wonderfully meditative though!
#126 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefolk View Post
he he he -- flowers - my name is hilary , too!
Cool! Not many of us out there....good to meet you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manonash View Post
I'm scared to watch the meatrix! I have OCD and don't wanna get images in my head I can't get out. I just wanna know as a non-veg where to get meat from ethical ranchers.

Does anyone subscribe to Plenty Magazine? They couple I have picked up at Whole Foods have been pretty good.
I know I need to be careful about what movies I see b/c I am very sensitive to images. Plus, I have been trying to focus on what we can do to make a change and not on all the crap that makes me mad. I am glad the info is out there for people who are just learning, but I am all about moving on from anger and making the change in my life.

Give me a little tidbit about Plenty. I love the title and I love mags. What is there scene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywolf View Post
Yep, building a cob tea house in the backyard to see if we like the building technique when it is just us and not a workshop Both my husband and I work as well as I cook everything we eat and try to grow as much as possible. Sew. Spin. Learning to weave. There just is not enough time in the day for everything!!! So, the cob is vvveeerrryyyy ssslllloooowww
wonderfully meditative though!
I LOVE IT! I know what you mean about not enough hours in the day. There is just so many cool skills I want to acquire. Sounds like you keep yourself busy!
#127 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma Christi View Post
Is there any one here who doesn't use trash bags? We have a friend who doesn't and we were considering doing it and probably using a pail liner (because DH wouldn't want to constantly wash the trash can). Just wondering if anyone does this and if so what you use instead. Thanks!
We don't. We just use dog food bags and 5 gallon buckets. Recycling goes in rubbermaid tubs.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#128 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If anybody is looking for earth-friendly shoes for your kids, Kid Bean is having sales!
Vegetarian Kids rainbow sandals for $12.60
and hemp sneakers w/recycled rubber soles for $25 (forgot to copy the link to those).

I am so tempted by the sneakers (my son has to wear closed-toe shoes at childcare) but we're low on money...but he will need new shoes within a few months, and synthetic sneakers from Target might cost almost as much and are worse for the planet...but buying shoes online makes me nervous, even when the return policy is good, because returning things is such a hassle! So I am going to think about it for a few days and meanwhile measure his feet carefully to try to get the right size if I do order them.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#129 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
AJP

Quote:
It's animated, don't know if that would make it any less haunting for you (it's still oogy). And you can look up sources in these places:

http://www.eatwellguide.org/
http://www.localharvest.org/
http://www.eatwild.com/

There is no secret ingredient.
#130 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 PM

subbing

I'm working on not bringing home any more plastic bags.
#131 of 752 Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 PM

flowers: I was actually looking to see if anyone else could give me a tidbit. I've only picked up a couple of copies, so am not sure of their overall take on things. Their subtitle is "It's Easy Being Green." I've followed a few links on their website and it seems to have some good info (like decoding egg carton language). But, a strange thing or too, also. Like, when I did the "digital plenty preview," one of the things on the title page said "how genetically modified plants could help fight pollution." I'm totally against GMO, so that threw me, being it is a green magazine. It wouldn't let me read the article though, so that coulda been said tongue-in-cheek.

AJP: Actually, it does help that it's animated. For some reason, animated images don't bother me too badly long term. I want the info, I just don't wanna see gruesome images.

I've got to read Omnivores Dilemma. I've been having all sorts of thoughts about where my food comes from, and I hear this book is great.

Bought 5 Chico bags today at my HFS to put into my purse, since I am always forgetting my canvas bag. Those are handy little suckers!
#132 of 752 Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 AM

This is going back to the lunch box discussion...

I did not like the laptop lunch box at all. I thought the lids were very difficult to get opened AND closed even for my 7 year old. When I used the containers with out lids it made a mess with a lot of what I packed (and they only give you 1 lid. Just wasn't for me.

So I got the round 2 tiered stainless steel "bento" box (forgot the brand name) that comes with cool bamboo flatware in a handy case. My dd loves this, but as she is a food "seperatist" I found myself putting things into wax bags and then shoving them in the container. I now use it more for myself (it's great for a salad and some dry snacks) or outings other than school.

So what do I use now? I sewed up some cute lunch totes. Non-insulated, made a pocket on front, very simple. Put most things in pyrex glass containers, still use wax paper bags when needed (but recycle them until they tear) It really works the best for us, haven't had a problem with insulation so far. Cheap, easy. One of the totes I even made with the lining of an old raincoat, so now the inside is waterproof!

After spending almost 60$ on "green" lunch totes, it was a real eye opener for me about being conscience of buying at all, green or not.
#133 of 752 Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So what do I use now? I sewed up some cute lunch totes. Non-insulated, made a pocket on front, very simple. Put most things in pyrex glass containers, still use wax paper bags when needed (but recycle them until they tear) It really works the best for us, haven't had a problem with insulation so far. Cheap, easy. One of the totes I even made with the lining of an old raincoat, so now the inside is waterproof!
This is so cool. I especially love the raincoat idea. Now if I could find time to sew .
#134 of 752 Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
This is so cool. I especially love the raincoat idea. Now if I could find time to sew .
Another idea for the waterproof is taking an old shower curtain that you sanitize . I've seen moms use this for waterproofing various things they make before
#135 of 752 Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM

this may have already been brought up but SILK now uses 100% wind energy to make their products! they have GREEN caps on their soy milk now.
#136 of 752 Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
Plus, I have been trying to focus on what we can do to make a change and not on all the crap that makes me mad. I am glad the info is out there for people who are just learning, but I am all about moving on from anger and making the change in my life.
I think this is a wonderful philosophy! Good for you.
#137 of 752 Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
I think this is a wonderful philosophy! Good for you.
I think it's great, too. We finally watched Who Killed the Electric Car? a few days ago, and my husband said "I'm running out of room for anger!" It's easy to feel anger and despair about these kind of environmental issues, since so much of it is perpetuated by entities so huge, bureaucratic and impenetrable that one individual resisting it is like a tiny voice shouting in a hurricane. But if all of the tiny voices resist, it will make a difference, ultimately those huge entities will have no choice but to respond, and other tiny voices will notice that they don't have to just go with the flow. So keep on truckin'.

There is no secret ingredient.
#138 of 752 Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 PM

Oooh, the shower curtain is a good idea too!

Quote:
We finally watched Who Killed the Electric Car? a few days ago, and my husband said "I'm running out of room for anger!"
I kinda feel this way too sometimes. I have my optimistic days and pessimistic days.
#139 of 752 Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 AM

would love to sub. I read you green living challenge and think it is soo great and wrote everything down cause my printer doesnt work but wanted to get all the ideas on paper somehow. I would love to learn more with this thread about green living. so far i use cloth tp and cloth momma pads and cloth dipes for my youngest son but soon will be putting him in cloth trainers like his brother. we hang some up to dry. we recycle and i use cloth bags for groceries. I make my own home cleaners and try to cut down on any paper coming in the house. I still want to do more we are starting a compost area and going to garden but any more info would be handy. So i would love to join if i can thanks.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#140 of 752 Old 04-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Wow. I was surprised that this tribe isn't on the first page.
Has anyone heard of this?
www.recyclebank.com

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#141 of 752 Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is kind of random, but does anyone know what happened to the Skyfish Project website? It was a Severn Cullis Suzuki & co. initiative, and it was pretty cool, and then, all of a sudden, it seems to have disappeared? Where did it go? Anyone?
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

#142 of 752 Old 04-15-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
Wow. I was surprised that this tribe isn't on the first page.
Has anyone heard of this?
www.recyclebank.com
Does anyone know if this service has reached outside of PA? Specifically into CT?
#143 of 752 Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM

:
#144 of 752 Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Bumping us up

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#145 of 752 Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM

subbing!
#146 of 752 Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM

I found this on craigslist and thought some might be interested:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tfr/312874256.html

Here's a cut and paste:
What's YOUR big idea to make the world a cleaner, greener place? Sundance Channel wants to know with the What's the Big Idea? short film contest sponsored by Lexus.

Submit a one-minute short film featuring your biggest, boldest, greenest eco-solutions. Grand prize is $10,000 to make your idea into reality, and a one-year lease of a new Lexus hybrid! Contest is on now and ends April 30, 2007. See official site for additional rules and details. Good luck!

http://www.sundancechannel.com/thegreen

Also check out The Green, a new block of programming on Sundance Channel focusing entirely on environmental topics and discussion.
#147 of 752 Old 04-19-2007, 10:07 AM

DH and I are talking seriously about trying to go solar within this year. He did quite a bit of research yesterday and talked with a couple of installers/carriers. We're looking at the Unisolar panels (they are half the price of the typical kind). Also, there is a bill in committee right now to give greater incentives for going solar; DH said it looks like it is going to pass. I'm so excited!!!!
#148 of 752 Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Anyone heard of hydrogen boosting a gasoline engine to up the mileage? There is a system out there called "hydro boost" that adds hydrogen to the intake. You have to get hydrogen via containers, though. DH was looking this up yesterday and found it. According to what he read, you can get as much as a 30% increase in mileage.

There is also a system being sold that boasts an on-board electrolysis kit to make your own hydrogen, but that takes too much energy to use.
#149 of 752 Old 04-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
DH and I are talking seriously about trying to go solar within this year. He did quite a bit of research yesterday and talked with a couple of installers/carriers. We're looking at the Unisolar panels (they are half the price of the typical kind). Also, there is a bill in committee right now to give greater incentives for going solar; DH said it looks like it is going to pass. I'm so excited!!!!
I hope it passes... We're looking into solar panels as well. Any idea about the time frame of this bill?
#150 of 752 Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are soon going to go up onto our roof for the first time since buying the house almost 5 years ago! (We just got a tall enough ladder!) Our roof is not leaking, but we want to check if it needs maintenance. It is an almost-flat roof, and we know from the home inspection that it is the "rolled roofing" type, basically tar-paper. When it needs to be repaired/replaced, we're wondering if there is a more environmentally friendly choice? We can see some similar roofs from our house and know that most are black but some are white; is black (heat absorbing) better in a climate with a long winter and relatively mild summer? :

Of course, in talking about our roof we've pondered solar panels. There is nothing casting shade onto our roof...but we just don't get a whole lot of sun in this climate, so our best guess is that with current technology it would be hard to recoup the cost of the panels and maintenance. Maybe they'll get better in the future....

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page