Green Living Tribe - Part II - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know anythign about the new sippy cup called Foogo by Thermos? Here's the link. I'm wondering if this would be better for dd than the Born Free sippies. I might need to start supplementing her with a hypoallergenic formula (she has major allergies, I have low supply, etc.) and she won't take a bottle. I think one of these would be much better for her.
I just worry about the Foogo because there was some controversy over the insides of the Siggs, etc. so I wonder about this.

Anyone know? I like the design and it seems like the first one for smaller children

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#182 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 06:33 PM

I thought the controversy over the Siggs was a false alarm?
#183 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
I thought the controversy over the Siggs was a false alarm?
It was
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=643883

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#184 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 PM

Yes, it was a false alarm. I just want to make sure about the Thermos brand sippy.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#185 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM

I'd love to know too-they look cool and ds #2 doesn't really care for the Kleen Canteen yet...........

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#186 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco_mama View Post
Good to see a new thread....finally!

greenkids - i suggest using cloth napkins and if you're planning on using paper plates or something, seventh generation carries some of those products i think. for wrapping paper you could recycle a paper bag and maybe decorate it? or if you have any gift bags saved (i have tons from over the years) you could reuse one. have fun!
I am know I am probably too later for the birthday party tips, and I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to subscribe to this thread and share this....
biodegradeable "disposable" utensils for parties.
http://www.worldcentric.org/store/cutlery.htm

And ditto on the cloth napkins, above!

As for wrapping papers, perhaps suggest no gifts, or state on the invitation that is an Eco-Party and gifts are encouraged to be recycled.
#187 of 752 Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM

we signed up for a CSA farm produce box today. check it out here for your area at www.localharvest.org

and i am going to see if our gas/electric company offers green power.
#188 of 752 Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 AM

We have something like that called grow alabama here.

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#189 of 752 Old 04-28-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmoreus View Post
Hi,

This may have already been discussed but I am not having much luck searching. I'd like to replace out our light bulbs with CF bulbs but most of our light fixtures are open with the bulbs exposed so I'd like to find some fluorescents that are more traditionally shaped.

I've seen them before but I can't find any locally and am wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get them online.

Thanks!

Risa
Risa - Our bathroom fixtures have the exposed bulbs, and I was able to find CFLs that are round and have the inside bulb enclosed in glass (looks more like a regular globe bulb) at Ikea, although I'm not sure if they sell them online...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#190 of 752 Old 04-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Risa - Our bathroom fixtures have the exposed bulbs, and I was able to find CFLs that are round and have the inside bulb enclosed in glass (looks more like a regular globe bulb) at Ikea, although I'm not sure if they sell them online...
Thanks, Callie. I have previously checked with IKEA and they don't sell them online or ship them through phone orders.

But...I did just find some at Costco today and they are sold in a 4-pk--so Shonda, try there if you have one nearby.

I'm excited to start the change over!

Thanks!
#191 of 752 Old 04-29-2007, 06:50 AM

FYI on bulbs, check your local power company's website now and then, because ours frequently offers rebates and/or in-store sales on certain brands of CFLs. For example, for all of March some brands at Costco and Home Depot were partially subsidized by Nevada Power.

Many power/gas companies also give rebates on high-efficiency appliances and such too. Always worth a check before buying a major appliance.

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

#192 of 752 Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Question:
We've found that the pine kitty litter works better than the wheat for us, but it's supplied in those mylar type bags. Anyone found a pine litter brand that has recyclable packaging?

A couple of rants:
- went out to eat with my family a couple of days ago and DD spilled my water. They waitress brought a whole wad of paper napkins and plopped them in middle of it to clean them up. When I asked if she had a cuptowel to use, she said she did but that the napkins were way more absorbant. Now mind you, I've seen the wretched cuptowels that some restaurants use over and over all day till they are so nasty, but still. Gonna have to start carrying around my own cuptowels (DH said I already do -- cloth diapers) .

-went to Wal-Mart (bad I know, but I was following my Mom around who was shopping there; I try to avoid it when I can), and they had a toy there that I thought was one of the worst examples of disposable crap I had ever seen. It was a disposable helium tank with a few balloons so you can blow them up at home. The tank was half the size of the smaller propane bottles. Blow up 10 or so balloons and then off to the landfill!
#193 of 752 Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Has anyone here had any experience building a veggie car? DH is ready to buy a diesel and add a tank for the veg oil from a friend's restaurant. He has read a ton about it, but we'd love to know someone who has actually done it.
#194 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 AM

not here but that sounds interesting

We have filled up our first tub of newspaper. We should take it tomorrow to the spot.

#195 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 AM

I need something to put my recyclables in, and was curious about the biodegradable trash bags. The recyclables sit out in bins at the city for gosh knows how long. Will the bags hold up long enough to contain the recyclables till they make it to their destination? Also, is there a cheaper source for them. The cheapest I found is 3$ each!
#196 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishCT View Post
I heard that Whole Foods is going to do the same thing... I wish we had something like that in this area... *sigh*
If I was charged for the plastic, I might ACTUALLY remember to bring in my great reusable bags! (rather than leaving them at home all the time...)
You don't need Whole Foods!
Start your own food coop/buying club!
They're much more affordable, anyway. We use my house as the drop-off/breakdown site for ours- can't beat that commute.

Or find one that already exists-
there are lots of us throughout New England.

Here's contact info for United (they bought Northeast Cooperatives):
http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/RES.../FABC_Home.htm

and for Associated Buyers:
http://www.assocbuyers.com/aboutus/servicearea.shtml#

Off to read the rest of the thread...

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#197 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM

This is an article by the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma that explains (part of) why a Twinkie with a zillion processed ingredients is cheaper than a carrot: government cash.

http://healthylazy.tribe.net/thread/...f-7e64ff236e6f

"Like most processed foods, the Twinkie is basically a clever arrangement of carbohydrates and fats teased out of corn, soybeans and wheat — three of the five commodity crops that the farm bill supports, to the tune of some $25 billion a year. (Rice and cotton are the others.)"

I can't remember where in the thread I got the idea that this would be on topic...

#198 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 08:59 PM

TWINKIES - I have the book "Twinkie, Deconstructed" on hold at the library, looking forward to reading it.

TOWELS - All of my prefolds are now house towels, they are perfect for wiping up spills.

ROOFING - Dh says there isn't a greener alternative for a flat roof house. I asked him about natural rubber and he said that'd be super, super expensive-you're better taking the money and doing other green things first. There are options for other kinds of roofs, but not a flat roof.

COOP BUYING CLUB - I tried starting one, but no one would buy consistently, it was a struggle to keep up on the minimums. Luckily a local organic delivery service started up-which actually worked out really good for me. I found myself purchasing a lot of packaged goods trying to make it up to the minimums. I can only buy so much produce, it would go bad before I got through it.
#199 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall View Post
ROOFING - Dh says there isn't a greener alternative for a flat roof house.
Did you look into sod? It's about the greenest option out there!
I've forgotten- is it your roof, or someone else's?

I think you can only do sod if the extra weight was planned for in the original construction of the house, but it's worth taking a look. Once they're set up, they're very low maintenance and offer a lot of benefits.

#200 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Whew! I missed the jump to this new thread, so I'm glad I've finally found it. My newest green living technique is to use wax paper instead of ziploc bags whenever possible. I've also been leaning towards going back to vegetarian eating, but not sure I can stick to that at the moment.
#201 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismommy View Post
So, anyway, you wouldn't believe the amount of trash 2 people can generate--it's so sad to see them taking out a full bag of trash everyday
Wow!!! We are a family of 4 and it takes us a week to make a bag of trash.
#202 of 752 Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 PM

I am struggling with CF Lights! I am switching all of our lights over to the CF, but I have yet to find a light that satisfies my need for warm light. I am willing to switch even if I don't find a light I love, but I wanted to hear what others have found and if anyone has a light they feel is comparable in quality to the incandescent. I'm really looking forward to hearing what others have discovered!

On another note, I have been a CSA member for 2 years (entering my third) and I am so looking forward to this year's bounty!I can't wait to get that first head fo bok choy or lettuce or the first carrots! Yeah!

Now . . . if only I could find a way to ride my 6 month old on my bike! Why do I have to wait till he's a year? I so want to ride with him!!!

K
#203 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 AM

I know that most people are against using plastic, but even when you do city recycling here they give you the blue bins. We went and bought a $3 tub for recycling and put everything in it.

#204 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 01:22 AM

Hi, everyone!

I've been lurking here forever, and love reading what everyone has to say. I haven't ever said anything because I am just in awe of you all and soaking it all in and I don't have much to add. But I love reading this thread every night!

Since no one else mentioned it, though, I thought I'd share this. I thought of you all when I saw it!
http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzz...-20070429.html

#205 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 03:58 AM

subbing
#206 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 AM

That comic was cute!

#207 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
Forget Whole Foods! (Whole Paycheck) They systematically run food coops out of town whenever they can, just like Starbucks is gobbling up local cafes and coffeeshops.
Start your own food coop/buying club!
Have you seen any articles about this? I live in a town where we have a very strong food coop, and Whole Foods hasn't done anything to threaten them, afaik.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#208 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM

ramlita: That was a great article about the farm bill! Wow! I just started reading Omnivore's Dilemma yesterday. He writes very well.

Sarah, that comic was hilarious! I saved to my desktop. Glad you shared it with us; welcome to the group!

zen-ozz: Oh, about the CFLs being too cool. I've read that if you can find ones with lower Kalvin (?) ratings (2000-2500) they will be closer to the warm colors of incandescent. I have no idea what those ratings are, if they even exist, or where to find that info, though. I think the same way you do; I'm using them anyway, but I don't really like the cool color. I love them otherwise, but my warm colored walls are now strange looking . I wonder if I pain them a color that would make a warm color when combined with the cool blue of the lights, would that work

When DD gets a little older, I want to start voluteering with our local "keep our town beautiful" group. They plant trees and plants, encourage recycling, pick up trash etc. It's not "green" exactly, but it's the closest thing I can find.

We went to our local farmer's market this weekend and there were three vendors. There was one organic vendor (not the one I expected to see there) who had some really nice looking stuff. Hope he continues to be there. This FM has struggled for years to stay open, since no one comes much. It doesn't pay the farmers to show up. I'll just buy directly from the organic farm if it doesn't make though. They aren't far away, and don't do shares like a CSA; they just sell their stuff.

#209 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-ozz View Post
On another note, I have been a CSA member for 2 years (entering my third) and I am so looking forward to this year's bounty!I can't wait to get that first head fo bok choy or lettuce or the first carrots! Yeah!
I got the idea to join a CSA from this list and I love it so much. I certainly did not know that I love turnips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
Hi, everyone!

Since no one else mentioned it, though, I thought I'd share this. I thought of you all when I saw it!
http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzz...-20070429.html

I love this - thanks for posting it! I'm going to send it out to my office...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#210 of 752 Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM

I can't believe I didn't post this sooner here!

I mostly lurk here.

http://www.earthscouts.org/

I'm really excited about Earth Scouts, but it's new so there aren't a lot of groups yet. We do a lot of the stuff as a family, but maybe next fall we'll get to start a group.

There's a yahoo group to join for more info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page