SIGG or KLEAN KANTEEN? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm new here and will further introduce myself in the other part of the forum...but I really need help! I'm going nuts over what sippy to get my 4 year old triplets (yes..they were concieved naturally )...the Sigg or the Klean Kanteen. I'm not crazy about the Avent top of the KK, or the sport cap..also..we use raw milk and I'm worried about being able to clean both since neither has a wide mouth..ya know? The Sigg has a new sport top that looks good..but there seems to be debate over if it is safe enough with the interior enamel coating? But it's still has to be better than the plastic (ahh) sippys we use now? Anyway...suggestions are greatly appreciated since this is an expensive purchase for us. THANKS!!:

Karen
**I'm gotta figure out how to get all these cute symbols you all have in your signature line...I"d have a ton..we are true extreme organic/holistic family !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
Hi! I'm new here and will further introduce myself in the other part of the forum...but I really need help! I'm going nuts over what sippy to get my 4 year old triplets (yes..they were concieved naturally )...the Sigg or the Klean Kanteen. I'm not crazy about the Avent top of the KK, or the sport cap..also..we use raw milk and I'm worried about being able to clean both since neither has a wide mouth..ya know? The Sigg has a new sport top that looks good..but there seems to be debate over if it is safe enough with the interior enamel coating? But it's still has to be better than the plastic (ahh) sippys we use now? Anyway...suggestions are greatly appreciated since this is an expensive purchase for us. THANKS!!:

Karen
**I'm gotta figure out how to get all these cute symbols you all have in your signature line...I"d have a ton..we are true extreme organic/holistic family !

We have the kleen kanteen, and it's, well, ok. I'm not in love with the way the top screws on (every now and then I apparently don't do it right and it leaks). also, the spout part is odd to me, but maye that's just me (it's an avent spout). I do feel like I can easily clean the inside with a bottle brush. I'm not familiar with the SIGG, so I can't help you there.
#3 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM

I've heard that the paint on the SIGG can come off in the dishwasher, and it was important to me to have something that would last a long time. So we got the Klean Kanteen, and so far I have no complaints.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#4 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM

I have a SIGG my kids use, though I don't put it in the dishwasher, I like it. I don't think they recommend you put it in the dishwasher...

I just wasn't taken with the shape or lake of interesting designs with the KK. I plan to get more SIGG bottles for me and the kids.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#5 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 PM

I was just coming here to post this question about a bottle for me! Dd has a SIGG bottle to bring juice to school for snack. I wasn't sure if it was OK to have juice right against the KK metal. Plus the cute design (pink flowers) makes her like it instead of asking for a juice box like the other kids.

I hand wash the SIGG. The booklet that came with it didn't recommend using the dishwasher.

Now I'm trying to pick a bottle to tote my tea around in. I like the idea of being able to put it in the dishwasher... on the other hand the SIGG designs are really nice... I don't really know if one is safer than the other.

Mom to (5) (9)
#6 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
crl

We have both and I vote Klean Kanteen. I can wash the inside of the KK with a bottle brush, but the bottle brush will not fit inside the Siggs. Also, because the KK is plain it can be used indefinitely with a sports top, where the Siggs are, well, cute, and it's not too likely my kiddo is going to want to take them to school when he's 10. Also--no lining in the KK so I think it's a bit safer and I feel more comfortable putting milk and juice in it.

(I have not ever put either kind in a dishwasher--I'm not sure you're supposed to?)
#7 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Also--no lining in the KK so I think it's a bit safer and I feel more comfortable putting milk and juice in it.
FWIW, the manufacturers of the SIGG say they have tested their lining and claim it is absolutely non leaching and is safe for milk and juice.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#8 of 13 Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM

SIGGs have sprung leaks on me, even though they were never frozen or put in the dishwasher. We're currently using a Thermos Funtainer bottle, which is nice because we can get them locally.
#9 of 13 Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 PM

We only have SIGGs... because they're cuter.
#10 of 13 Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 PM

FWIW, I have both SIGGs and KKs and the SIGGs are NOT supposed to go in the dishwasher. However the KKs can.
#11 of 13 Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have 2 Sigg (one for me and one for dd) our dishwasher is crappy, so everything is handwashed. I have found a brush to clean inside it. I'm not sure, but think it was a brush that came with a Camelbak (backpack water system). We only use it for water, that's all we drink!

Personally, I don't like drinking out of metal. As a kid my parents had some metal cups and the water in it just tasted bad. (and I wonder where dd get's her SID issues from: )

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#12 of 13 Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 PM

I collect SIGGs and use them for everything. We have about 20 in all different sizes. We love them. Have never had a problem cleaning them with a bottle brush (they DO fit inside). I also use the SIGG bottle cleaning tablets every once in a while if I put something other than water in them. I've never had a problem with paint chipping off. SIGGs are also supposed to be more environmentally-friendly manufactured.
#13 of 13 Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
crl

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I collect SIGGs and use them for everything. We have about 20 in all different sizes. We love them. Have never had a problem cleaning them with a bottle brush (they DO fit inside).
Guess I have the wrong bottle brush then because mine does NOT fit inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page