Doing renovations... I need help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are replacing all the flooring in our house due to allergies, and have decided we might as well go ahead and do all the renos we have been wanting to. We are redoing one (maybe two) bathrooms and if we can swing it, the kitchen as well. We also decided that since we are replacing the flooring we might as well go ahead and paint first. The kids' rooms have all been done, but the colours in our house are very neutral and so we didn't have to paint anything before we moved in.

So we have a lot to do, and I am at a loss. I don't know where to start. We've picked out our flooring, but other than that, I don't know where to turn. Our house has NO style right now, no artwork, nothing. So I don't even have a palette in mind, because I need a jumping off point.

I've been looking at ideas online and in magazines, but nothing is really jumping out at me. I seem to be all over the place, style-wise, and have no idea how to pick colours, patterns, etc.

I like bold patterns (stripes, large polka dots, geometric prints) and am not afraid of colour. I am also drawn to retro stuff. But how do I get from here (feeling totally overwhelmed and not having any fun at all) to sitting in my fabulously decorated house, with people around me saying, "You should do this for a living?" (Okay, that's maybe stretching it a bit, but you get the idea. "

Like I said, we have no artwork... but I want some. Should we find pieces we love, and work the colours from there? Or... I found these cute little stainless steel collanders the other day. They are enameled or something on the outside, so one is turquoise and the other is deep lime green. Could I use something so small as the design element for a kitchen?

Please help. Share your experience and wisdom. Point me in the direction of decorating websites and kitchen designers. Tell me what worked for you, and what didn't. Thanks. :
#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM

for our house, i picked a palette and went with it. then went and picked out a couch with those blends that was really funky and had a great pattern. from there i had to make up the living room with rugs, etc. i have kept the decorating very simple, with one or two art pieces per wall.

anyway, hope to help!
#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, but... how did you pick your palette? How many colours did you go with? Do you carry the same colours throughout your house, or just in the main areas (living room, kitchen, etc.)? Did you paint all the walls the same colour, and use the other colours in your palette for accents, fabric, etc.?

Aaaaaah! So many questions!
#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post
I like bold patterns (stripes, large polka dots, geometric prints) and am not afraid of colour. I am also drawn to retro stuff. But how do I get from here (feeling totally overwhelmed and not having any fun at all) to sitting in my fabulously decorated house, with people around me saying, "You should do this for a living?" (Okay, that's maybe stretching it a bit, but you get the idea. "

Like I said, we have no artwork... but I want some. Should we find pieces we love, and work the colours from there? Or... I found these cute little stainless steel collanders the other day. They are enameled or something on the outside, so one is turquoise and the other is deep lime green. Could I use something so small as the design element for a kitchen?
DH and I are in the middle of redoing our kitchen now - I've gotten books out of the library and poked thru those to see what I like. My favorite inspiration is Debbie Travis - The Painted House. I love almost everything she does - it's all so me, funky colors, stripes and whatnot. She is SO not afraid of color. I also like a show on HGTV, Decorating Sense - where they do room makeovers for $500 or less. on HGTV's website there are pictures of the room makeovers you can browse thru. They are tiny though.

Since you like retro and bright colors why not go with a funky turquoise kitchen? Those colanders sound adorable, I would absolutely use them to inspire a kitchen. I can totally picture a lime and turquoise kitchen, with a teensy splash of orange maybe just for kicks.
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 PM

I think your first question should be: What is your budget? Colors are really the least of your worries.

Doing 2 bathrooms and a kitchen could cost you $60,000 or more, depending on labor costs in your area and what kind of fixtures you use. That's not even counting the floors.

Do you have any idea what your plumbing situation is? Are you going to need to redo wiring if you do the kitchen? (In the US at least you must install those outlets with the little breaker in each when you renovate.) Are you going to get all new counters, sinks, bathtub, toilets etc?

Weird question, but--are the walls in your bathroom square, or are they leaning like happens in every old house? This can make tiling a nightmare unless they actually redo the structure of the walls first. (Just sheetrock usually though)

Do you have a place to live while you do all these renovations? You're taking about losing the use of your house for 2-3 months. You do not want to live there while they are doing all of this or you will lose your mind, get divorced, etc... . Seriously--do you have any stress in your relationship right now? Because this will REALLY put it to the test. People divorce over renovations.

If you are going to spend this much money and time, have you considered simply selling your house and buying a new one that doesn't need so much work? If you have allergies this is going to make a huge mess of dust and crap everywhere in your house.

This sounds like a MASSIVE project that could cost you a huge amount of money and ruin your lives for months. (But could look great once it's over of course...) You need to think about these more serious issues before you start imagining color schemes. And it's pointless to dream about designer kitchens when you can only afford Home Depot (which, by the way, is mostly junk...you get what you pay for.). Looking at amagazines is nice but they will try to show you the most high-end stuff usually.

You need to know your budget before you can do anything. (and then add 20% to that budget because these things always cost more)

If you just don't have $30,000-$60,000 for a total kitchen rehab (bear in mind that I am in a very expensive city and this stuff may well cost less where you are), see if there is a Habitat For Humanity resale store near you that seels donated cabinets, fixtures etc., or another store like that. Can save you $$$$.
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 AM
crl

We're going to be doing a lot of stuff to our new house soon and trying to plan it all out, so I'm in the same boat.

I am also trying to figure out how to paint different colors that all work together. I think artwork can be a great place to start. So can fabric. Also you could look for paint palettes. I ordered the Pottery Barn ones off their website yesterday. You can also pick these up (brochures where the paint chips are) at Home Depot/Lowes/paint stores.

This does sound like a big and expensive project. If you are going to replace your kitchen cabinets, I suggest you check out IKEA. Especially if you DIY, they are very inexpensive and good quality. Limited styles, but I really like some of them (my favorite is STAT, which is white).

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page