a decorating thread (inspired by Delight!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so inspired by Delight's thread I have decided to overhaul my house little by little. I thought I'd start a thread for inspiration. Please feel free to indulge me here, I will be forever grateful.

Since my DH died 19months ago I really feel like the house is sooo empty. I have just realized I really desperatley want to make into a warm home for our kids to grow and me to heal. I really haven't cared much until now. it needs serious help though and I need some subtle changes that will bring joy to my heart and surround me with peace.

what are your favorite websites,magazines,etc for decorating inspiration? looking for lots of visuals.

I am not sure I have a "style" per say. I do like funky bohemian type stuff and unique folk art (but not really into cutesy county stuff if that nmakes sense). I can be pretty crafty if I want to be, so I need inspiration!

and if any of you mamas want to show off your homes & your creative decorating ideas, pretty please post some pics! :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 11:52 PM

I really love Debbie Travis - she has 2 websites, Facelift is more modern stuff, The Painted House is what I adore, and its all more whimsical crafty stuff. I also love Mary Englebreit - she has a magazine now with really nice interior design stuff - and though it tends to be more simple, Martha Stewart is great for a starting point and for organization-type ideas. Mostly though I just google "kitchen" and keep scrolling thru until something jumps out at me.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions! I will check those out.

I love martha stewart. I will have to go visit her site too!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Red

Well, I can't really say I do much decorating! Mostly blankets and afgans draped over deceipt furniture.

However, books and mags from the library are a great way to get ideas. DD16 is having her room painted, a bit against her will.(It meant cleaning it!) She went through magazines found a pic she liked. It helped, even though we aren't copying much of it, because she was able to say she liked it beacause it reminded her of the beach.

We're painting it with light blue walls, bright green built in bunks, and maybe a raspberry sherbert for the detail trim. I might go creamy super pale raspberry for the woodwork, with one of the other colors for an accent.

New curtains, quilt, etc.

Find a few things you like. A beautiful blanket, a set of curtains, wallpaper, and then pick colors and patterns based on that. This is all SO much easier if you have some money. If you don't, prowl the clearance bins and look for inspiration there.

Furniture stores usually have 'rooms' set up throughout their stores. Browse.

Make sure you have lots of fundoing it all. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Red- your DD room souds like it is going to turn out lovely.

I definitly don't have tons of money, but I can budget for a few things (after April's no spend challenge that is! )

currently I am looking for a great print to frame for over my fire place. we have a sepia wedding photo up there we took in Tombstone,AZ. I really want to take it down as it's too painful to see everyday. I am going to get a print from http://www.durgabernhard.com/ I think but can't decide on one! (I've been trying to pick one for oh at least 2 years now, probably longer :
)

Old 04-01-2007, 04:20 AM

i have papers (12 x 12) that I have glittered up and stick on the wall with randomness. You could your wrapping paper, scrapbooking paper, etc.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 AM

Lots of inpiration here.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

:

Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 PM

I love Cottage Living, Country Living, and Country Home. I don't consider them country in the sense of, you know, wooden geese with gingham bows around their necks. They are country in the retro, vintage, flea market kind of way. Things that don't have to be expensive; things you can rehab with some paint, fabric, or paper covering.

Amy Butler (of fabulous quilt and home fabric fame) has a book out with her husband called "Found Style," which I love!

Can't wait for you (and others!) to start posting pics.

I also want to say that I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how horrible it would be to lose my DH.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 AM

Subing
Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

aww thanks megan :

yeah I am definitly looking to "create" my space rather than "buy" it. so DIY is my best option.

btw does anyone have any ideas for window coverings for a large window? I have once and for all decided I hate curtains on my front window. the only thing I have come up with is a wood shades/ shutters. (leaning toward shutters) but are there other options? the window is fairly large and the curtains kind of close the room in (and I've had 3 different color curtain's up over the years so it's not the color,etc) I just hate the closed off feeling. any great ideas?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 AM

I have a wall of windows- 3 rows of 3 covering my entire front wall to the street.
Right now I have light colored tab curtains on it 4 of them- I had 6. and just the other day I figured out if I gather the curtains in the middle and tie them( with a shoestring for now...lol) it REALLy opens up the room instead of them just hanging down. It shows of the windows and the outside.
Of course at night we just close them.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks EMilie! I never thought of that! I will have to think about that! I have always have 2 panel curtains too..I am not sure what other options there are but I know there must be other choices than what I've been doing!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 AM

Wanted to reccomend Blueprint magazine. And there used to be a magazine called Budget Living, they did put out a nice decorating book once and it is all thrift/cheap/DIY/funky kind of a look.

I have the same nagging hate for covering a large window up with curtains - depending on the window & if you need to have it ever all-covered up, you can do something with tiny cup hooks on the ceiling and hang light fabrics in place from those.
You could always do a folding screen.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 AM

I know .... I saw a neighbor with hers gathered like that and I LOVE it. In the am I just open, gather tie with shoelace!lol. I am going to go to store and get something nicer from the fabric section.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

mumkimum- thanks for the suggestions! yeah I really don't like curtains at all. we are in the desert though so I have to have them throughout most of the house because it's so hot (no AC just a swamp cooler) the front window in question is thankfully facing east so luckily I think I can get away with nothing if I really want! I also want to put wood molding around the window.

I am off to search the web for window covering ideas after I get the kiddos in bed! I will post back links if I find anything interesting!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 AM

If you don't like curtains but want them for heat reasons what about that film that reflexs heat?

It kinda pricey though.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 AM

As a response to your window-covering dilemma...Have you thought about Roman Shades? they roll up out of the way, and they don't take up as much space and aren't as labor intensive to install. Also, since they are inside the window ledge, they look WONDERFUL with frames around the edge like you were hoping to put in.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/category.jsp?...IdeaCenter.xml

Good luck!!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Those of you who were talking about wrapping the curtains in the middle, instead of fabric what about have your kids string some pretty beads on ribbon and wrap that around the middle? If it slides you could always put a tiny safety pin on the backside to hold it in place.

Also in the kitchen if you need a tie back like a metal one you could get some neat old silver serving spoons, heat handle with a torch and bend it. Then drill a hole in the handle, nail it to the wall and loop the curtain so the round part of the spoon is in the front where you can see it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I love roman shades. I have actually been cosidering making (or buying) them for the kitchen (they will be needing replaced in the next year or so and there are 4 windows in there)

I never thought about one for the front window though! would it work for a large window? is it cheaper to make them yourself? I have seen some cute patterns out there in magazines (I have one saved I might use for the kitchen made from dish towels of all things and it's adorable!)

Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 PM

Mommaof3boyz- great ideas!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:08 PM

I didn't know about this thread. I'm totally cracking up because I've been stealing Delight's decorating ideas too!

My big project is I'm going to make a series of big stars out of artist canvas and paint them different colors. We live in a rental and can't paint our walls and the big white spaces are driving me nuts, so I'm hoping this will help. I'm not going to do perfect stars though, I want them to be oblong and mismatched kwim?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM

subbing...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I know several people were interested in Delight's bird mobile. There is one similar on ebay. It is quite a bit longer but overall the same idea. If you search "bird mobile" it will come up. I think there are quite a few birds on it. I thought it was cute but need to not buy right now. If you do buy it now with shipping its under twenty dollars. I'm not the seller btw
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM

I have to confess my favorite decorating style is "found style" I love thrifting, repurposing and using what I have decorating. I dvr shows like Redesign, Material Girls, Design on a Dime, Decorating Sense and Freestyle becuz they fit my budget and my idea of decorating. I'm not a fancy person and probably never will be. I don't want to have anything that if my child get a sticky hand print on or colors on w/a crayon that I'd be upset about.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

mommaof3boz- It's so funny you mention that as I have always wanted a string of those birds! they are from India and I've seen them at places like Cost Plus. I have even seen them for sale in Mexico!

btw I requested a home improvement/decorating forum here (not sure if the post got posted in the questions forum yet)

Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

request for decorating/home improvement forum
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...28#post7771328

Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM

I guess my style is more the traditional Pottery Barn type style only I create it without buying stuff. I love looking at their catalogues for paint ideas. I like a crisp look to things and hate clutter. I also get a lot of storage ideas from them. I too loved Delights star collection and may copy it since both mine and DD's middle name is Starr and I have gotten a lot of star gifts. I just never thought to group them as nicely. One thing I did lately that I love is DH wrote me a short little love you note in the morning and I found a small frame for it. I think its perfect since he wrote it really quick and its not all perfect. You could do the same with kids notes or poems they write. I'm really getting into framing family pictures and stuff but its hard because we are selling our house right now so I don't want to put more holes in the wall. Until then I have a collection that I keep adding to.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have this big (india-eastern inspired) tapestry that I searched for for months for a certain large wall in my living room. I can't find a dowel long enough to hang in on though. (It has loops on top. any suggestions how to hang it? I thought of using ribbon or something, but can't figure it out without it looking hokey. I am about to just attach it using penny nails but I know that is probably not what I should do! any ideas?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Can you use dowels but have support every 6 feet or so? So instead of one long dowel there would be several shorter ones? Think multiple curtain hangers hanging one giant curtain. I am really bad at describing things sorry.

User Tag List