Ants in my kitchen - help me get rid of 'em! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The cinnamon is working! So we either have lazy, unmotivated ants (), or they're finding somewhere else to go.

It's an interim solution while we get the counter caulked and close up the hole they were coming through. So I have a pile of cinnamon on my counter, who cares? There are NO ANTS!!!!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 05-05-2007, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peppermint oil will completely repel them--spearmint also works. Clove works but it makes paint peel off! Darn it. Hopefully that quality will come in handy someday.

I don't think ants actually live indoors? Ours come in the window edges near our counters and things like that. So, we can make barriers whenever we see them. Every few days, we simply wipe on the oil with our fingers and they will not enter at all.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#33 of 39 Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
I have some TJ's castile peppermint soap and used it around the door where the ants were coming in as well as the dog food bowl (their favorite food) and NO ANTS today!

I kind of feel like the dog food bowl needs to be filled because said dog is now 15 and getting skinnier.

I hope this works long term because it is cheap and easy! I just rubbed it on full strength with a damp cloth You could see the ants running form the smell!
I've only seen two since then. I really just put the soap full strength around the door where they get in and the dog bowl. I think finding where they get in and "blocking" them there is most important.
#34 of 39 Old 05-05-2007, 01:44 PM

I just kept vacuuming and they are now gone
#35 of 39 Old 05-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten View Post

I don't think ants actually live indoors?

I don't know. We have a new kind of ant this year - really large ones - that seem to be coming from interior walls. I have called an extermintor and cancelled the request twice now because I don't want to spray. But I fear --- are these carpenter ants? I look at pictures on the Internet and I'm sorry - all ants look the same to me. :

I bought this at the HFS today:

http://www.ghorganics.com/Orange_Guard.html
#36 of 39 Old 05-06-2007, 06:34 AM

I have had wonderful success with cinnamon. Bonus that it is safe for my cats (I heard borax wouldn't be).
#37 of 39 Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I am still waging a bit of a battle with the little buggers, but things are getting better - I think!!

and, as a plus, I think I'm falling in love with the peppermint castille soap - I picked it up at Trader Joes. It's my go to cleaner now - I have some dilluted in a spray bottle, and I've been happy with it.

You all are such a great resource!! Thanks again!!

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.
#38 of 39 Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecarma View Post

Instead I read somewhere that they hate peppermint. I washed the whole area Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Liquid Soap, even sprinkled it full strength by the door opening where they were coming in. They HATED it and never came back!! I was shocked!! WAYYYY COOOL! ...and a lot less toxic.
Peppermint doesnt work for us.
#39 of 39 Old 05-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Peppermint has worked for us in the past with the tiny ants, but only if I reapplied at least every other day. And not Dr. Bronner's, that worked maybe an hour , but actual peppermint oil. The tiny ants were easier for me to deal with because they were very obvious about where they were coming in so we could plug the holes and apply peppermint oil to the spots. Of course they kept finding new holes to come in so it was a neverending battle.

Now this is our first summer in a new house and I keep running across the big black ants. Eeek. I've only found, I estimate, 3-5 so far today but they are so spread out and in such weird places that I have no idea how to find how they are getting in, yk? They are in the kitchen, not on the counters or floors but on the walls and cupboards.

I am really scared about this only because it's only May and I don't want to be infested by August. I have a 3yo that gets into everything, as well as 3 cats and a dog!

flowersforyou.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page