Sigg vs. Klean kanteen? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has had his sigg since he was six months old and its still doing great. I bought him 3 KK for his Easter Basket and they're rusting!! I'm horrified. I won't be buying them again. No problems with his sggs that are 1.5 years old but a 3 month old KK....grrr..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
My son has had his sigg since he was six months old and its still doing great. I bought him 3 KK for his Easter Basket and they're rusting!! I'm horrified. I won't be buying them again. No problems with his sggs that are 1.5 years old but a 3 month old KK....grrr..

I read online that KleenKanteen has a recall on the bottles which developed rust on the bottom.

It said
Quote:
This is not a problem which usually occurs with their bottles, it just happened with a defective batch.
Did you call and report the problem?
#33 of 44 Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmom2 View Post
Does anyone know if the Klean Kanteen Sippy Adapter and spout would fit the sigg bottles? I am looking for water bottles for my kids and having a hard time making the best decision
No. We have mostly Siggs but one KK sippy with the adapter. It definitely won't fit on the Sigg.

Mom to (5) (9)
#34 of 44 Old 06-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife View Post
Interesting. I thought if it was high grade a magnet would be attracted to it. My magnets don't stick to my KK. :
My understanding was just the opposite. Magnets will stick to cheap SS because of the higher ferrous (iron) content. That's why chean "stainless steel" grills will rust. Also why I can't put magnets on my SS fridge.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#35 of 44 Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
My understanding was just the opposite. Magnets will stick to cheap SS because of the higher ferrous (iron) content. That's why chean "stainless steel" grills will rust. Also why I can't put magnets on my SS fridge.
This is what I read about SS too and why SS fridges won't take a magnet.. ideally you don't want magnets attracted to your SS as it indicates higher quality SS..

If you google magnet and stainless steel it should come up. I did it just recently when we were researching a SS fridge
#36 of 44 Old 06-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantald View Post
I read online that KleenKanteen has a recall on the bottles which developed rust on the bottom.

It said

Did you call and report the problem?
Thank you. This rust was not on the bottom. I emailed reusable bags where i bought it and they said I could return it only if I had the original purchase order. Well, I don't so I'm SOL.
#37 of 44 Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
Thank you. This rust was not on the bottom. I emailed reusable bags where i bought it and they said I could return it only if I had the original purchase order. Well, I don't so I'm SOL.
That stinks... maybe an email to Klean Kanteen themselves would get your something..

I hate it when you pay good $ for something that breaks right away.. no matter what it is, it sure is annoying..
#38 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Those considering Sigg bottles, especially for children, might be interested in reading this and making their own evaluation:

http://www.freemarketorganics.com/coabsi.html

It's one of many web pages on the topic of Sigg bottles, epoxy linking, and BPA.
#39 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Wow. Just read the info from your link. I get so frustrated that we have to dig so much for information! I'd always read/heard that Sigg bottles were extremely safe. While it seems they are still far above the standard plastic water bottles, there is now doubt in my mind. Does anyone else get exhausted from having to doubt all studies or published information? Thanks for posting! I'll have to process the info more to decide which direction I'm going. I sure have loved the Sigg bottles I bought for my kids.
#40 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM

I see that this is an old thread but I will add my opinion anyway

1. I disagree with the poster above who claims that each person only needs 1. I like to have 2-3 for myself and at least 2 for my kids. Right now we each only have one, but its clearly not enough, especially during the summer.

2. Sigg vs Klean Kanteen - we have had both. AFter a few months my kids refused to drink out of the Sigg because of a funny taste (I checked and it did taste funny). They adore the klean kanteens. We all have sport tops and they are perfect. I like that the opening is wide enough to put ice down without an issue and drink from without an issue.
#41 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursing2mom View Post
Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I am desperately seeking a water bottle for my daughter's lunch box. I need it to be leak-proof, but easy to get the cap open. Our current water bottle drips when on it's side. Can anyone tell me if they've used the Sigg or Kleen Kanteen in a lunchbox?

Thanks!
We have the KKs with sport tops - and when the top is closed, we get no leaks.
#42 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM

We've had our Siggs for several months, but only have used water in them. We've not had any funny tastes yet. Did you use acidic stuff that they say is safe, but may not be (like juice?)

I appreciate your comments about the Kleen Kanteen-- I do wish the opening of our Sigg could fit ice better. I was going to get some more Siggs (I also agree that we would use more than 1 each--we run out of water fast when our family of 4 goes to a fair with only 2 water bottles. I think we would with 4 as well, so we could use at least 4 more water bottles of some sort.)
#43 of 44 Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 PM

no leaks with our sport tops either. Also, we had only used the siggs for water, never anything else.
#44 of 44 Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM

My kids are both getting KK's for the start of school, although ny youngest is very swayed by the cute pics on the Siggs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page