Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Mindful Home (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/)
-   -   Sigg vs. Klean kanteen? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/661099-sigg-vs-klean-kanteen.html)

LuckyMommaToo 04-24-2007 02:48 PM

What are the major differences? I want to invest in some so we can stop buying bottled water. (I admit that I watched the Oprah green show and it inspired me to make more changes!) I have two little ones, so the Sigg kid ones are pretty tempting. But isn't aluminum a no-no?

Any thoughts?
thanks,
Erin

mbhf 04-24-2007 04:16 PM

sigg bottles have a lining, i think it's enamel? so the liquid inside doesnt contact the aluminum.

cilantromapuche 04-24-2007 09:43 PM

They have an enamel lining. I love the look of our sigg bottles but the paint comes off. I don't carry anything but water in them. I've heard some juice may react to the lining? Also, I live where it snows and have to be careful to bring stuff in in the winter because it would ruin it if it freezes.

Merilin 04-25-2007 01:07 PM

I grew up with Sigg bottles and have now Klean Kanteens.

The Sigg are prettier, but scratch more easily and they can break, if thrown around too much. They are also harder to clean, due to the small opening. Also, sometimes they develop a kind of smell, which is hard to get rid off - I haven experienced that smell (yet?) with the Klean Kanteen.

ParisApril 04-26-2007 10:16 AM

I have stainless steel water bottles that I got at MEC in Canada they are just like Kleen Kanteen only a different shape. I don't use anything that is aluminum. It would worry me that the lining might scratch or wear off over time.

velochic 04-26-2007 01:22 PM

I actually collect Siggs. : I have a lot - from .6 ltr. to 1 ltr., and I have some knock-offs they sell in places like Woolworth's in Europe and Wal-Mart here. Some of my authentics I don't use at all because, like I said, they're part of my collection, but I always have my Sigg next to me for frequent sips of water all day long. I literally go nowhere (even in the house) without my water. I love them!! I also like the insulating sleeves for them. Dd carries one of hers around, too. She has two .3 ltr. and three .6 ltr. Her current favorite is one with horses on it. : She also has Felix, Benjamin Blümchen, Die Maus, and one with flowers. It's a great way to get kids to drink lots of water. She loves them, especially with the sports top. She used one as a sippy to learn how to drink from a sippy cup (you can get them with handles).

I've never had any real Sigg break, the lining to be compromised, or the outside paint to chip. I only use it for water and I also use the "bottle clean" tablets to keep the bottles fresh. Yeah, if you drop it, it gets dented... but that's a good used Sigg. The knock-offs will chip, dent more easily, and may or may not have the enamel coating inside.

nextcommercial 04-26-2007 01:56 PM

I have a question about the two.

I like to hike, and the small plastic water bottles are the perfect size for carrying. They fit into my hand, and are light weight.

WHat is the best, and easiest to carry while walking or hiking?

The disposable plastic bottles from Costco are about 9 oz. I like those. But, I want a non disposable alternative.

velochic 04-26-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I have a question about the two.

I like to hike, and the small plastic water bottles are the perfect size for carrying. They fit into my hand, and are light weight.

WHat is the best, and easiest to carry while walking or hiking?

The disposable plastic bottles from Costco are about 9 oz. I like those. But, I want a non disposable alternative.
A .3 litre Sigg would be the right size (although, that seems like very little water for even day hikes... but hey, whatever works for you). You can hook nice little carabiners to them and hook them on your clothing or backpack. You have to hike out with what you bring in, anyway, so it's worth it to do the reusable.

nextcommercial 04-26-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
A .3 litre Sigg would be the right size (although, that seems like very little water for even day hikes... but hey, whatever works for you). You can hook nice little carabiners to them and hook them on your clothing or backpack. You have to hike out with what you bring in, anyway, so it's worth it to do the reusable.
Thanks! I will look at those. Can you only buy them online? DO they sell them in any stores?

velochic 04-26-2007 02:58 PM

I haven't found any stores in the US that sells them, but I'm sure outdoor outfitters probably do. Just because I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist!

But here is a good place to start online. http://www.mysigg.com/

CountrylivinmomtoB 04-26-2007 03:45 PM

We have klean kanteens and love them. The klean kanteen is nice, because it's just like the sippy, and DD takes it to bed at night with water in. I don't know much about the sigg, saw them at Whole foods and was personally glad I bought the klean kanteen, that's just me though!

nextcommercial 04-26-2007 05:32 PM

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/kl...tle-p-324.html

O.K, so I looked and I like the way the Kleen Kanteen looks.

And, it is on sale! So, this is my public service announcement for today. The Kleen Kanteen is on sale at reusable bags.

LuckyMommaToo 04-26-2007 09:29 PM

That's so funny, nextcommercial, because I bought some of those on-sale KK from reusable bags yesterday! I decided to stay away from aluminum. Thanks for the input, everyone!
-Erin

velochic 04-27-2007 07:17 AM

I don't know if this matters to anyone, but I read an article when I was living in Germany about SIGG vs. KK. Because SIGG is manufactured in Switzerland, where they have the tightest emissions/pollution laws in the world, the SIGGS are exponentially more environmentally friendly in the production process. That was a big one for me.

Pam_and_Abigail 04-27-2007 07:43 AM

I decided against Sigg because I heard they were coated with epoxy inside. I've got KK's for the family, but I will say that mine is getting a bit dented fom rough treatment (not me).

Oh, I see the OP has made a decision.

velochic 04-27-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
I decided against Sigg because I heard they were coated with epoxy inside.
No, it's a water-based coating.

"
What is the internal coating in the bottle?
Your safety comes first with SIGG. Each bottle has an organic lining which is guaranteed to be taste-neutral and resistant to fruit acids and isotonic drinks. It meets the FDA requirements of the USDA. The coating is elastic and unbreakable and will not peel off or crack, even if dented on the outside. "

from http://www.northern-spirit.ca/faq.ph...&cPath=21#faq4

Ilovelife 04-27-2007 09:21 PM

The rumor now is that the stainless steel leaks nickel, which is also not good for you. I say rumor because I don't know where the info actually comes from...if there was a study done or what. I also don't know what problems nickel can cause. It just seems like it's always something. Pick the lesser of the evils, yk? We use the Klean Kanteens and like them just fine.

No2Circ 04-27-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife View Post
The rumor now is that the stainless steel leaks nickel, which is also not good for you. I say rumor because I don't know where the info actually comes from...if there was a study done or what. I also don't know what problems nickel can cause. It just seems like it's always something. Pick the lesser of the evils, yk? We use the Klean Kanteens and like them just fine.
"Klean Kanteens are constructed of high quality, sanitary grade 304 stainless steel. 304 has a low nickel content and is preferred by breweries and dairies."

http://www.reusablebags.com/help.php...d1028b1395&fID

(toward the middle of this page)

Ilovelife 04-27-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Circ View Post
"Klean Kanteens are constructed of high quality, sanitary grade 304 stainless steel. 304 has a low nickel content and is preferred by breweries and dairies."

http://www.reusablebags.com/help.php...d1028b1395&fID

(toward the middle of this page)

Interesting. I thought if it was high grade a magnet would be attracted to it. My magnets don't stick to my KK. :

Bay Area Babe 05-07-2007 04:31 AM

We have a bunch of Siggs (free from our company) and I have two piggyback questions:

1. Is there a sippy lid that works with Sigg bottles? I know that the Advent one works with the KK. I'd like to start using them eventually with DS, who is currently 8 1/2 months.

2. Our company kitchens had denture cleaning tablets to clean the inside. Any other ideas for cleaning?

cilantromapuche 05-07-2007 09:55 AM

DD has used the top her sigg came with since she was 7 mos. I did remove the cap thing though.

nursing2mom 10-05-2007 10:08 AM

Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I am desperately seeking a water bottle for my daughter's lunch box. I need it to be leak-proof, but easy to get the cap open. Our current water bottle drips when on it's side. Can anyone tell me if they've used the Sigg or Kleen Kanteen in a lunchbox?

Thanks!

mtnsnow 10-08-2007 08:36 PM

We just found this site.

http://www.thesafesippy.com

I guess they are new and not on the market yet, but will have them available at the end of this month.

We will be ordering 2 to check them out as soon as they are available, or even better available at a store near by! We will see....

I will report back when we get them!

Not sure about leaking on it's side for the lunch box, but will let you know.

AuntLavender 10-09-2007 09:27 AM

I don't like the Sigg Active Bottle Top on my 0.6L Sigg because you have to press down on the top and if you wear lipstick or lip gloss then the top gets smeared and so does your mouth if you aren't especially careful ime.

I bought a Kids Bottle Top for my bottle. You just twist and it's like a typical plastic water bottle. SwissKnifeShop.com had a top plus cap for $3.99 PPD.

My 3 youngest have 0.3L size Siggs and my oldest ds has a 0.6L like me. We got my DH a 0.75 size Sigg.

I bought all our bottles locally at Whole Foods.

So far none of the paint has chipped. We mostly use it for water but we've had soda and juice in them with no weird smells. I bought the brush set to clean them with a drop of Seventh Generation dish liquid and warm water in my kitchen sink.

My only complaint is that here in FL cold water is appreciated in our heat. The bottle gets almost too cold to hold when you add ice. I don't feel this way about plastic water bottles. The metal makes it seem colder. I feel like I could get frostbite!

AuntLavender 10-09-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursing2mom View Post
Can anyone tell me if they've used the Sigg or Kleen Kanteen in a lunchbox?
that I use as a purse with no leaks.

nursing2mom 12-07-2007 12:30 AM

I finally did it! I bought 2 Sigg kid bottles (.4 liter) and they don't leak so far! They are a bit of a challenge for my 4 and 6 yr olds to open-- there's a cap that's easy enough, but then a twisty spout that's challenging to twist. Other than that, I'm very pleased. I got them through Amazon with free shipping (just this particular red style had it) for $17.99 each. They do get cold, though. I'll have to get the cover for them, I think. Thanks for all the great info, ladies!

danapatrice 05-18-2008 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=velochic;7958513]I actually collect Siggs. I have a lot - from .6 ltr. to 1 ltr., and I have some knock-offs they sell in places like Woolworth's in Europe and Wal-Mart here. Some of my authentics I don't use at all because, like I said, they're part of my collection, but I always have my Sigg next to me for frequent sips of water all day long. I literally go nowhere (even in the house) without my water. I love them!! I also like the insulating sleeves for them. Dd carries one of hers around, too. She has two .3 ltr. and three .6 ltr. Her current favorite is one with horses on it. : She also has Felix, Benjamin Blümchen, Die Maus, and one with flowers. It's a great way to get kids to drink lots of water. She loves them, especially with the sports top. She used one as a sippy to learn how to drink from a sippy cup (you can get them with handles).

Dear Velochic,

This collection is REALLY bad for the environment....worse than using plastic. The point in SIGG or Klean Kanteen bottles is that you only need one and you can reuse it, thus cutting back on our huge amount of plastic waste. BUT both aluminum and steel need to be mined and this puts a strain on the environment as well. SO if you have a huge collection of them it's extremely bad for the environment. I would suggest you wrap up some of those SIGGs and give them to friends and family that are still using plastic. Keep only one for yourself (or a couple in different sizes if absolutely necessary).
A great video for those interested in doing their part to help the environment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMJ3...eature=related

enjoy!
Dana

Barcino 05-18-2008 07:30 PM

I am not a collecting type of a person but if she is not getting rid of them I dont see why it would be so bad. And I do like having more than one (we have two bottles each) in case they are being washed etc... I dont find it a problem whatsoever.

lovingmom2 05-31-2008 04:18 PM

Does anyone know if the Klean Kanteen Sippy Adapter and spout would fit the sigg bottles? I am looking for water bottles for my kids and having a hard time making the best decision

chantald 05-31-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmom2 View Post
Does anyone know if the Klean Kanteen Sippy Adapter and spout would fit the sigg bottles? I am looking for water bottles for my kids and having a hard time making the best decision
No, I do not think so. The SIGG bottle tops are much smaller an opening than the KK tops.. I no longer have my SIGGs so I can't measure the actual opening, but they are not as wide as KKs.. one of the reasons I didn't like the SIGGs at all..