Scents for attracting home buyers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
We're putting our house up for sale this weekend. What are some great scents to have brewing in order to make it attractive to buyers?

Any other hints would be really appreciated too!

Thanks,

Faith

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Freshly baked bread . . . Yum .

Citrus smells are good too!

Good luck!
#3 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM

vanilla.. its yummy but not overpowering and almost everyone can "relate" to that scent...
#4 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM

coffee and nutmeg
#5 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM

I've heard conflicting advice.

One camp says that baking smells - REAL baking smells, like cookies fresh from the oven - make your house smell homey.

The other camp says that your house should be smell-neutral. You can't guarantee that the people looking at your home will agree with your ideas of what smells good. Personally, I fall into this camp. I can't stand any of the air fresheners/oils/candles. Right now I'm 10 weeks pg and the smell of coffee makes me gag (and I know other people who always hate the smell). Some people think lemon smells clean, some people think bleach smells clean, some people would rather not smell either. In addition to personal preferences, sometimes the presence of an obvious scent can make people suspicious - are you trying to cover some other odor? Pet stains? Mildew?

So honestly, I wouldn't do ANY scent. Worked fine for me when I sold my house a few years ago. Whoever buys your home can put their own scent in it later.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#6 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 04:01 PM

I agree with hubris - anything too strong will offend.

My choice, tho, would be a faint lemon. Its light and always is associated with cleanliness, which is a major turn-on in a new home. That and no clutter!

Good luck!
#7 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Something *real* ~~ as in, no candles, potpourri, or anything like that, but if you're in the baking mood, I'd say you should definitely whip out a few batches of cookies or loaves of home-baked bread.

That way you can also offer them to your guests (and yes they're prospective home buyers but they're *also* guests).
#8 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM

I agree with 'neutral' scents. When DH and I were looking for a house last year, I hated it when the owners were burning scented candles, or had sprayed the room with something. I even did not like the 'cookies from the oven' approach. I wanted to walk into a house and smell nothing. No flowers, no food...I wanted to be able to smell the house.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#9 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlowyn View Post
I agree with 'neutral' scents. When DH and I were looking for a house last year, I hated it when the owners were burning scented candles, or had sprayed the room with something. I even did not like the 'cookies from the oven' approach. I wanted to walk into a house and smell nothing. No flowers, no food...I wanted to be able to smell the house.
I agree. I am VERY sensitive to scents and house sellers always have horrible scented candles, really smelly flowers, etc - I'd spend the whole tour sneezing

Cookies or something.. maybe, but I'd rather just have neutral odors. If there are scents that are too overpowering I wonder what you are trying to hide.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#10 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
Freshly baked bread . . . Yum .
This is what I was going to say. If you have a bread machine put some bread in it (a mix would be fine since you'll probably be busy getting ready) and leave it running.

Mom to (5) (9)
#11 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom is a realtor and she recommends putting a pot on the stove on low heat with vanilla and water in it for a couple of hours before the showing.

It's pretty mild and people might think you'd actually been baking.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#12 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM

I have to agree with the neutral statements. I would hate to walk in and smell a strong candle or something that I know was meant to cover up a smell. I remember when I was a kid and my mom and I had make speghetti for dinner one night when a realator was showing the house and we had compliments. It wasn't the intention though, just trying to eat dinner.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#13 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM

Why not just actually bake cookies? Then your house smells "real," you haven't created a fake scent, AND you get to eat cookies!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#14 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 AM

For me, just trying to keep it spotlessly clean for showing made baking cookies unrealistic! We just went with clean. I use essential oils in my cleaning products and they are gentle smelling, but nice and not too noticeable.
#15 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM

When we were house hunting I really preferred neutral scents. Actually, our top two picks were both houses that had a couple of windows open a bit so it just smelled fresh. I think we only saw a couple of houses that tried the cookies approach, and it did smell homey, but they also had a bunch of family pictures all around, so it seemed very much like someone else's home, not mine.
#16 of 26 Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM

The one house we sold, sold to a couple who came to look at it while I had a chicken in the oven, with lot's of fresh herbs, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and lavender. Not intentional, just dinner. They asked me for the chicken recipe and made an offer on the house. I don't think the roasting chicken was what sold them though. It was the new paint, clean and polished hardwood floors and the number of bathrooms that sold them.
#17 of 26 Old 04-28-2007, 12:00 AM

I sell homes and urge people not to try and make the house smell like anything. Just open the windows and let some breeze through, and keep it clean. Hopefully any fragrance it carries will just be from cleaning products or the good old outdoors - not some overbearing candle stink!

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#18 of 26 Old 04-28-2007, 05:30 AM

We looked for homes 2 years ago, and I liked it when houses smelled like nothing. We were looking in the dead of winter, so having open windows was impossible. I liked walking into a house and having it be warm, though. I liked knowing that we weren't going to have to worry about there not being any insulation.
#19 of 26 Old 04-28-2007, 03:10 PM

I also agree with the nutral sent. When we were house shopping, every time we saw a house with a strong sent in it I wondered what they were covering up. Is there mold or pet smell or smoke or whatever? I would just focus on making your house as clean as you can and maybe air it out, open all the windows for a while before a showing.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#20 of 26 Old 04-28-2007, 05:24 PM

We literally walked out of houses that were scented - I walked into so many "prettily" scented houses I wanted to wretch. The horrible experience of everything from lysol to nostril whapping lavender remains one of the most memorable unpleasant experiences in my life.

If you must scent, please consider that your potential buyers may be asmatic or allergic. Please keep it very mild.

We found that we became highly suspicous of places that were scented. What ARE they hiding? So the entire strategy might back fire on you.
#21 of 26 Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'd put some fragrant flowers on the table.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#22 of 26 Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM

It might have been nice if the houce we bought had been scented... frankly, it stunk of cigarettes and dogs. But we bought it anyway -- we ripped out all the carpets and put in bamboo and painted everything, and now it smells fine. The nasty smells at first just earned them less money.
#23 of 26 Old 04-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Here's what we did to sell our house, and it successfully covered up the smell of 2 dogs and 2 cats, and we got our first offer in 6 days!
  1. Get a spice-cake-in-a-box mix at the store.
  2. Put the mix in a pie tin.
  3. 20 minutes before a showing/open house, pop the pie tin in the oven at 200 degrees. The whole house will smell delicious.
  4. Don't forget to turn off the oven and remove the pie tin! You can reuse it over and over again.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#24 of 26 Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM

My real estate agent said baked bread too when we were selling our house.
#25 of 26 Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I think I'll bake cookies or bread. And then try not to eat it all everytime.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#26 of 26 Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Just wanted to say food scents at least are a lot better then a bunch of candles. When we were looking at houses there was one we went in that had tons of candles burning, it just made me sniff harder to detect the stench of dog pee underneath it all. We didn't buy the house!

Julia- wife to Tom since 3/01 mom to three girls- A Dancer 9/02, An Angel 11/04 and A Gymnast 1/06 + one on the way EDD 1/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page