Need advice....carpet or hardwood flooring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're working on our homestead wish list and I'm need some opinions on one item.
We have carpet throughout the house (except for the small kitchen and bathrooms). I'd love to have some bamboo flooring.
Now, my problem is....I want flooring that will be easier to maintain and clean. We have 4 indoor dogs and I vacuum just about every other day since our 16 month old is all over the place and I don't want him eating and playing in dog hair. And, of course, with 4 dogs you get the occasional upchuck, etc. so our carpet really looks bad, but I'd hate to invest in wood flooring and ruin that soon too.
I would love to be able to put the vacuum up and rely on the wonderful non-electric broom, haha
I just want to be sure I consider all aspects of this....I'd hate to run into some unforseen problems.
Any advice would be helpful.

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Carpet is NASTY! We're getting rid of ours and putting in vinyl flooring. We would go with hardwood or laminate but we live in a mobile home and there's no reason to spend a lot of money on it.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 PM

I would not choose carpet. Depending on how big your dogs are and how trimmed you keep their nails, wood floors are probably a great option for you - MUCH easier to clean and cleaner in general than carpet.

I understand that bamboo is pretty sturdy or maybe you could also consider recycling some old wood that might already have some beauty in its "wear and tear" so than you wouldn't worry about light scratches.

If your floors get scratches you can buff them out or get them refinished. We have wood floors, with bamboo area rugs in some high traffic zones ,and I love it.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM

My dream is to rip out all the carpet in our house and do bamboo throughout, maybe with radiant floor heating under for warmth. The carpet is soft and all but gross.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 05-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Hardwoods hands down. You can add rugs to help protect them.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM

Hardwood.
Maintenance is so much easier and cheaper. It's also a lot healthier. No gas off.
I'm working on DH to pull up the carpets in our house -- there is hardwood underneath.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Hardwood. I loathe carpeting. My last apartment had carpeting, and it was the first time I'd actually lived with it. Awful. It was simply not possible to get it clean. I've just moved into a place with a hardwood floor, and I'm so relieved. I'd never choose carpet.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM

We just did laminate flooring in our living room last month. And it is 100% better. I couldn't believe how much dirt and filth was under the carpet. We would shampoo every couple of months and vacuum daily atleast. It's so much easier to sweep up the messes as they happen. Also price wise it was about half the price of putting new carpet in. I love it.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 PM

I have hardwood in my living room and family room. I have carpet in the playroom and upstairs. I LOVE the hardwood. Its so easy to keep clean, and clean looking! When dd was still crawling, I used oriental rugs on top of the hardwood just so she wasn't on the wood floor in the winter when the wood tended to be cool.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 PM

We had carpet and replaced it with laminate. So much better! I can just sweep the pet hair out the door. Way better than lugging out a vaccuum. Also, upchuck is easier to clean up off the laminate than carpet.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamak05 View Post

I understand that bamboo is pretty sturdy or maybe you could also consider recycling some old wood that might already have some beauty in its "wear and tear" so than you wouldn't worry about light scratches.
That's an interesting idea! We're looking into new flooring right now too. Where would one go about looking for something like that?

~ Amy

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM

We put bamboo in every inch of our house when we moved in, and it wears like a dream. It's SUPER hard and looks gorgeous, totally sustainable (bamboo is a grass, so it grows really fast) and adds a lot of resale value too, since it's kinda fashionable.
We bought ours at a store called Greenmaker Supply in Chicago, but then, we live in Chicago. Many flooring places are starting to carry it now. We got Dragon Board brand, it's a little less expensive and sooo pretty. It doesn't look like a yoga studio, either. Just looks like wood.

ETA: they also had reclaimed flooring there, GORGEOUS, TOTALLY expensive. Like WAAAY expensive. But so stunning.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom View Post
My dream is to rip out all the carpet in our house and do bamboo throughout, maybe with radiant floor heating under for warmth. The carpet is soft and all but gross.
If you insulate your floor underneath, with batts, you will not have a cold floor at all. The batts of insulation just like the ones you use in the walls are held in my a piece of metal wire cut a little longer than the width between the floor joists. You can also buy these precut pieces called tiger teeth to hold it in place. You can't do this on a slab though. But you will be amazed. We never had any cold floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
Hardwood.
Maintenance is so much easier and cheaper. It's also a lot healthier. No gas off.
Actually the sealers used on hardwood does offgas. You can get low VOC sealers & also there are other options like linseed oil. Laminate offgases also. It is made with glues. To speed up the process you can shut all windows & doors & removes all pets, plants & humans from your house. Set the temp at 90 degrees & let the heat run for 24 hours. Come back & open all windows & ventilate well. This gets rid of a lot of the construction/renovation offgassing quickly, so it is safer for your family.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 PM

Another for hardwood!

Plus, its easy to not get upset if your child spills anything, cuz it wipes up.

AND just wait til dc accidentally starts peeing on the floor, or worse....it will happen. With hardwood, its an easy clean up. :-)

We are moving to a house that has some carpets, and I am nervous. I like not getting upset because of spills....I think its good for us all around.

with smiles,
rebecca
Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM

oh I'm going to have to say go for carpet since no one else had said that, just think you can use that sprinkly stuff that smells like imitation flowers on it, all the sprays they sell to clean up pet spots... :

seriously I would go with a hard surface, and if you like the softness of carpet can do area rugs or throws.

we have vinyl, not my choice but ok since it's here and have a big rug we bring out in the colder months for the living room so it's a little more warm on the feet and I dread it because it's so much more work then in the spring when I take it up, there is so much dust under it even though I lift the edges when I clean and suck things up that found their way through then when I hang it out to beat you should see the dust, looks like the dust bowl is starting all over again!

Go hardwood or anything but carpet!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM

A month ago we replaced all the carpet in our house with bamboo. We got it from http://www.simplefloors.com/products...x?CategoryID=2 We put the vertical natural in the living room and the vertical carbonized in the bedrooms. We got a full pallet (they mixed the 2 colors too) so it was a great price. So far we are very happy with it. It has gotton some scratches and dents but I think you could expect that from any hardwood or similar. And really I'm the only one that can see them. Not sure what dogs would do to it though. But it looks beautiful and is so much easier to clean. I never realized how dirty our carpet was until I see what 2 days of dirt and hair (I seem to shed alot) looks like on the bamboo. Here's some photos http://picasaweb.google.com/callaknits/House
Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy9798 View Post
That's an interesting idea! We're looking into new flooring right now too. Where would one go about looking for something like that?
Here's an example of a business I found online. My parents did this 30 years ago - used an old barn to make kitchen cabinets. They are still really nice looking and it is cool that they were able to recycle the barn, which was being torn down by someone they knew.

I just googled "old wood" to find this site - http://www.old-barn-wood.com/
Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamak05 View Post
I just googled "old wood" to find this site - http://www.old-barn-wood.com/
<drool>
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm drooling over the barn wood site too. We'd do that if we could afford it.
I think DH is leaning towards Pergo flooring...he doesn't want to have to deal with nailing, stapling, gluing, putting down foam, etc.
Anyone else have experience with Pergo flooring? I know it's not as great as bamboo, but I guess whatever we can afford and whatever he's willing to install will have to work. LOL

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 PM

We are planning to replace our kitchen and bathroom floors with cork tile since it is hard wearing, warm, and durable (we have a dog too). I however, love carpet and am getting it put back into my living room, bedrooms and upper hallway since I hate the wood floors and how cold they make the house. Carpet is also easier with my dog and hairy husband (no tumbleweed behind the doors and under the furniture ). Cork is so sustainable - they just peel it off and back it grows - that's important to me.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM

I babysat for a family with dogs and hardwood. It was nice because you could wipe up doggy messes and sweep up the hair and KNOW it was clean enough after that for the kids.

Although I would suggest a light wood, since dark or medium colored wood showed the hair and hair bunnies in the corners pretty bad.

User Tag List