house with a yard facing north - is it really that bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Desperately need help! I found a house I really like for a good price, at an excellent location. The only thing that I worry about it is that the yard, kitchen and dinning area is facing north. It's a duplex and the front of the house is facing south, but mostly the garage is facing south and a small window in the living room is facing south. There is a small window on the top of east in the living room. This unit is on the east side of the house. Anyone experienced a house with a yard facing north? Is it really dark and cold? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 AM

I hate it because our front porch is on the north side of the apartment. NO sunlght, ever. Terrible for houseplants too. I like some mild evening sun and our new house is facing west
I don't think it makes the house particularly cold or anything (that I can tell). I immagine that the yard out away from your house would still get plenty of light. Perhaps someone else knows more about yards.

I wish we had windows on the south and west sides because that is where warm wind often blows from, but that is just part of living in an apartment with other houses backed up to yours. hehehe
#3 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

There are some windows upstairs (bedrooms)and one window downstairs facing south, and a few facing east and kitchen, dining room and yard facing north. So it's not totally north facing.
#4 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM

not in AZ , but i see you're in BC. we used to live in WA, and it wasnt awful, but it wasnt directly due north, it was a bit west tilted, and it was lovely..... maybe get out a compas and check for sure? the worst thing was that the yard got NO light in winter, and a lot of really HOT afternoon sun in summer (you know those reallllly long days.....)..... i planted mainly rhodies, other forest type plants, and bulbs, and ultimately, loved that garden! my low-light loving plants did very well in the north facing rooms.

btw, feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions! :-)
#5 of 9 Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in an apartment with dd's room and kitchen facing north (never any direct sunlight) and main bedroom and livingroom facing south.

The only room I care about is the livingroom. dd's room does stay very cold in the winter (drafty windows, though the plastic film does help).

Also the sun moves during the year, sometimes our living room gets direct light and other months not.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM

For Canada, I would be concerned. The place should be priced lower than others!
#7 of 9 Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy View Post
not in AZ
Not in NM, either! I read the title of the post and honestly couldn't make heads or tales until I opened it. There's so much sun here, we're happy to have covered porches on the front and back of the house (north facing house, back yard on the south) to cut down on direct sunlight.

How big are the windows? I imagine that would make a difference. My grandparents on both sides lived in Seattle; one house had huge windows on all sides and felt very light and bright. The other house was the opposite and felt very gloomy, even though it was much bigger. Both houses faced the same direction.

computergeek2.gif

#8 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 02:02 AM

My yard, kitchen, and dining area face north, AND I'm surrounded on the east by trees. The biggest issue I have is trying to grow anything in my yard because of the lack of sunlight. What areas would get sunlight don't because of the forest that lines the east side of my yard. So there are only a few spots that stuff can grow in and I have to utilize my space very wisely and plant things that can tolerate partly to mostly shady. My tomatoes and peppers and things that need a lot of sun pretty much have to go in one particular spot in the middle of the yard .

As for the house itself... my kitchen has 2 big windows that face west, and it's not dark and dreary in there at all. OF course, it's also bright yellow... My dining/living area, however, only has 2 small windows that face east, where the forest is, and it is a bit darker in there even during the summer days. My house stays cooler longer in the summer which is nice, helps save on the a/c bill, but I'm also in a lot of shade which no doubt makes a difference. I don't think it's that much colder in the winter because of the way it faces, although I don't bother to open the curtains and let the sunshine in because there is none in the winter!

In short, it's not that bad and I don't mind it. I think my house is set up like the one you're talking about in that it faces south but the kitchen, dining, living areas are at the back of the house and face north. And the majority of my yard is in the back (duh) which also faces north. I like it here.
#9 of 9 Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 PM

It depends where you are in BC. North facing in Prince Rupert or North Vancouver is dark and cold whereas north facing in Richmond or south Surrey is less so.

Your yard may not be due north so check with a compass like the PP said.

It's also been a few weeks anyway...what did you decide?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page