Melamine dishes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are these safe? I am trying to do some research, but can't find much info...from what I've read, the reason melamine was a problem in the pet food was b/c it was mixed with cyanuric acid. There is the cutest melamine dish set I want to get for ds, but I am wary of plastic.

Anyone know about melamine? I know it is not microwave safe.

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 AM

We use melamine dishes for our dd but we hand wash them so they are not exposed to any heat in dishwasher. That is problem with micro - too hot. I think that it is hard enough that it does not have enough bpa or phthalates to be a problem. When it gets scratched up, we will toss it but hopefully dd will be able to use ceramic by then without breaking one daily.
#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 PM

There was a discussion about this before, and it was inconclusive. Nobody could find any research showing anything bad. The melamine in the pet food poisonings is the powered form which is the precursor to the hard plastic form. There's a wikipedia entry detailing how it's made.

Melamine can be brittle, I've dropped some and broken them. But it's cheap enough to replace. You can get cute stuff at Target for $3-4.
#4 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Melamine won't release BPA, which is the chemical to be concerned about in polycarbonate plastics, commonly marked with a number 7. Melamine is a nitrogen-containing chemical that is used as a fire retardant and when combined with formaldehyde forms a resin. Melamine products are not known to release formaldehyde gases and as far as we know are safe for food. But melamine dishes should not be used in the microwave. Before putting ANY dishes in the microwave, you should check the bottom to see if they are microwave safe and not marked with a number 7.

Here's more information about plastics in the microwave, if you're interested:

http://www.simplesteps.org/content/view//334/37

I work for NRDC, an environmental organization. This information is from NRDC's website, www.simplesteps.org, and has been vetted by our staff scientists and doctors. I hope it was helpful.

Thanks,
Kay
#5 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay McGraw View Post
Melamine won't release BPA, which is the chemical to be concerned about in polycarbonate plastics, commonly marked with a number 7. Melamine is a nitrogen-containing chemical that is used as a fire retardant and when combined with formaldehyde forms a resin. Melamine products are not known to release formaldehyde gases and as far as we know are safe for food. But melamine dishes should not be used in the microwave. Before putting ANY dishes in the microwave, you should check the bottom to see if they are microwave safe and not marked with a number 7.

Here's more information about plastics in the microwave, if you're interested:

http://www.simplesteps.org/content/view//334/37

I work for NRDC, an environmental organization. This information is from NRDC's website, www.simplesteps.org, and has been vetted by our staff scientists and doctors. I hope it was helpful.

Thanks,
Kay
thanks so much for this info--i've also been wondering about melamine resin dishes and haven't found much info.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page