Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Turned off AC and opened windows
2. Went to store and used canvas bag
3. Payed all bills except one on line
4. Gave old clothes to a lady on free cycle so she could make rugs

Gosh, I am doing better than I thought!

Oh, yeah used electric trimmer instead of gas one yesterday and made homemade fertilizer and gave Miracle Grow to an other freecylce member and then passed recipe for fertilizer along with it.
#32 of 46 Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM

I just found this forum!
This month I have put up a clothesline,
Joined my first organic foods co op and raw mik co op
I am setting up a home recycling center
Staying home more and driving less
using a new natural laundry detergent and cleaners
making my own homemade jams, salsa and hummus
I also just ordered my first compost tumbler!
I'm thinking of starting to use some kind of menstrual cup... but I'm not quite there yet.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#33 of 46 Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM

We just bought a new house and will move in in August.
So my challenges are:

1) repaint the whole house in some low-VOC/no-VOC paint
2) manage to hide a clothes line on the balcony (the HOA doesn't permit drying clothes outside, but I don't compromise on this one )
3) the previous owners had only incandecent bulbs with dimmers all over the house. so my challenge is to replace it all with CFL and replace the dimmer switches to CFL compatible switches. Also install Full Spectrum CFL where I can
4) bathroom remodeling (we have to do it) in a green way
5) sew my own curtains

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#34 of 46 Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Hi All.

This is BRILLIANT!

Our family lives in Australia and last night we viewed "The Global Climate Change Swindle" following by an interview with the doco director and then a panel of 'experts'. Lots of discussion on science, little discussion of action.

THIS IS ACTION and my family and I THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of our hearts and from the southern hemisphere.

We are in!

What we are currently doing:
  1. Linedrying our clothes
  2. Washing only full load
  3. Washing clothes with COLD water
  4. Composting food scraps
  5. Eating organic LOCAL foods
  6. Joined FREECYCLE
  7. On tank water
  8. Bath water is laundry water
  9. Downsized frig (Size & Energy)
  10. Consolidate trips into town
  11. Carpool
  12. Recycle
  13. Eliminating plastics
  14. Reducing processed food stuffs
  15. Turn power off at wall
  16. Turn lights off
  17. Used the keeper (am now pregnant)

Where we are heading:
  1. Making homemade breads, jams, spreads, salsas

Any one who can help with how to do any of these I would love the info.

2. Considering replacing water heater with solar
  3. Make every light bulb energy efficient one
  4. Start veggie patch
  5. Downgrade car
  6. Offer FREECYCLE first, before tip run
  7. Use cloth diapers (make from old manchester...where possible)
  8. Look at FREECYCLE, then St. Vinnie for items
  9. Taking flyers to tip and St. Vinnies regarding FREECYCLE, so others know they have one more option before leaving it at the tip.

FREECYCLE is a free, volunteer organisation that gives people another option before taking things to the dump...not a business.

You all have been an inspiration to me and I look forward to this challenge.

Namaste,
razbrue
#35 of 46 Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM

I still haven't gotten to my "green" sewing project (cloth napkins) for the month, but we did get the compost started yesterday. I'm really excited!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#36 of 46 Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Finally a moment to post...this month:

Using no-VOC stains and varnishes and in some places oil wax for finishing our woodwork around windows and finish some doors.
Bought paver bricks from The ReUse Center (they are from a deconstruction project)
I want to finish switching us over to family cloth (I only have one out of two bathrooms set up)
Using freecycle, Free Market, and craigslist more frequently
Driving less
No AC (okay this is a cheat since we don't have AC )
I am also heavily involved in planning our dream house so we can start construction in 2 years. I have been reading Sarah Susanka's books (love them) on designing the Not So Big House. We are planning to do a LEED certified home using geothermal, insulated concrete forms, steel roof, fiber cement siding and many other green features to be decided. It is an infill lot in a first tier suburb and will put us 1 mile closer to work (we already live only 5 miles from work).

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#37 of 46 Old 07-14-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm new...but I'd like to try, by starting out small. We have some constraints...namely, we live in an apartment (second/third floor depending on the front/back), and are not allowed to put anything except "patio furniture" on the balcony...they actually made me take down a set of herb plants and a hanging strawberry basket. We also don't have W/D connections, so it costs a bundle to do laundry (and, of course, no line drying...I'm thinking about getting a drying rack, at least for some stuff....I usually do two loads at a time, so, if I could just dry one load, that would be good...)

Natural (preferably homemade) cleaners as much as possible...vinegar, baking soda, whatever else good recipes I can find...Recipes/tips appreciated.

Bringing my own bags for shopping, whether its cloth or bags I've somehow accumulated...I did that for the first time this week.. :

Strip baby before eating. Cuts WAAAAAY down on the laundry.

Reading through the posts, I want to add turning off the power strip at night.

What I have managed to do....

I'm decluttering, so I'm majorly goodwilling this month, and offing all my old baby stuff on an expecting friend (and she thinks I'm just being generous ).

I've been trying to be very contientious about using towels/rags/dishcloths to clean up messes...baby steps, right?
#38 of 46 Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM

Starting small, because it's a busy month and halfway through. This is a cool idea! I've been working on 2 goals lately anyway; always happy to find an extra boost to help me keep with it.

1. Line dry everything except diapers.
2. Turn off power strips at night. (TV, DVD player, VCR, and computers are all on power strips.)
3. Use everything we get from our CSA.
#39 of 46 Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 AM

Progress is being made at our place!

I finished sewing a set of cloth napkins and have placed them in rings on the table. DH pronounced them "cute" and then asked what they were for! Hopefully it will work.

I'm working on using all my CSA box and so far I'm doing ok. I just keep getting more and more zucchini, so I need to make some zucchini bread or something. And soon!

Now for the rest of the month, I plan to get the clothesline hung up and dry at least part of our laundry.

#40 of 46 Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi Fellow Green Living Challengers!

Well, this week was successful.

Through, neighbours, St.Vinnie's and FREECYCLE, our family has recieved/recycled:

Baby clothes
Baby blanket
Baby hat
Sturdy baby crib
Baby gates
Baby toys
Maternity clothes
books

Outside of cloth diapers and cotton, hemp or bamboo liners we are well on our way for ensuring that we have what our new family member will materially require.

We have almost worked out all the little bugs in the letter to my local councillor regarding mentioning FREECYCLE in her next newsletter.

Next weeks goals:
  1. Wipe down and gather all Freecycle offers into one part of the house.
  2. Post on website

That will be enough I think for one week.

Checked out a book called, Clearing the Clutter. And it has been liberating to go around the house and truly ask if it is needed, used or needs to be recycled. Just doing that has allowed for items that were needed (baby and maternity wear) to present themselves.

Happy Reducing, Reusing and Recycling!

PS. I love the feeding baby nude, suggestion. Sheer simplicity and brilliance! Oh and my breadmaking, well, perhaps finding a second hand breadmaker would be the go.
#41 of 46 Old 07-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
What kind? I'm in the market.
I recently purchased an outdoor line and have been very happy w/it. It is the Sunline retractable. It's attached to the house and hooked to the kids playset when in use. (It is high enough to be out of their way but they still have fun jumping for the clothes.) I normally hung most of our clothes in the laundry room and sometimes on the knobs in the kitchen overnight. I love having another option and use it mainly for the kid's clothes. (My husband said he would install it if I agree not to hang his underwear on it!)
#42 of 46 Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 AM

I've also just discovered this group and am thrilled. It seems as though no matter how much you do there is always more that can be done and I love hearing new ideas.

I have two new goals:

Although I’m great with cleaning products, personal care products, organics, etc.; I need to improve my use of paper products.

I confess - I use paper towels often. I am cutting down and hopefully eliminating the use.

I’ve used cloth grocery bags for years but continued to use the plastic produce bags when in the grocery store. I recently bought several lingerie bags at Target to use instead. They are a nylon type fabric but I figured it is still better than the disposable plastic. Plus they were cheap – two for $1!
#43 of 46 Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Bump.

I'm doing so-so. The garden is sucking up so much of my time. Also, my brother is moving to Boston in a couple weeks, so I've been using a lot of weekend "project time" to instead visit him.

Find some wooden pallets so I can better contain my compost pile.

DH is picking them up today!

Continue preserving food from the garden, being mindful of potential holiday gifts.

I am a canning fool right now.

Continue to use air conditioning minimally.

I think we're doing really well. Our electric bill has been much lower than our summer average.

Find a good natural shampoo.

I got a couple, but I'm not thrilled with them.
#44 of 46 Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 AM

I accomplished my goals for July, which were ridiculously achievable--too easy, really. They were to use all the CSA box each week (which I did, sometimes giving things to people who would like them, if I had extra). I also sewed cloth napkins, and I've been using them. DH is still a bit skeptical about that one.

But I also started a compost pile this month and got a clothesline hung outside! I can't believe how much food waste I'm keeping out of the trash! And I love the smell of clothesline-dried clothes. Plus I've sunned out a couple of stains.

Tonight I'm trying to make my own yogurt so we don't buy those wasteful single serving cups for DH's packed lunch. I hope it will turn out. This is the second batch; I scorched the first one.

#45 of 46 Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 AM

I got all the freecycle gear together and made a few families happy and, them picking up the stuff, made me very happy. All in all rewarding way to get rid of stuff. I actually have an almost empty room downstairs now. DH was worried at first, but is now offering things up.

August Goals for the ENTIRE month:
  1. Every bath, the bath water is used for the laundry, moping, etc.
  2. Fill the sink with soapy water and fill rinse sink with hot water to restrict water usage.
  3. Cloth grocery bags used for shopping of any kind
  4. Shop from St. Vinnie's and Freecycle first, if not there then consider new

Have a wonderful month!
#46 of 46 Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Oops, I forgot to post the link to the August thread in here!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page