What is a reasonably sized house? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 106 Old 08-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our apartment is 800sf. There are 5 of us (girls 13 & 9, boy 11, DH and myself). Two bedrooms. It is hard. But our main problems are that we have too much stuff and I have no organizational skills. I almost hate being at home because it is too overwhelming. So I avoid it as much as possible. But that is not the way I want to live. The thing is, until I get the unnecessary stuff out and learn how to organize, even if we had a larger place it would still be crowded and junky.
#92 of 106 Old 08-10-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
I firmly believe, as most people in this forum do, that the trend of giant houses even as families grow smaller is ridiculous. I firmly believe that a smaller house, a smaller mortgage or rent payment, less stuff, and more simplicity leads to a happier, more fulfilling life.
I totally agree with that.
I've often stated that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
But I still think my house is too small.
Our house is 680 square feet with three people living in it--sometimes four when my mom is here, and would be four if we were to have another kid. If I could have whatever I wanted, I would want a house similar to this one but at least 800 square feet.
I even think 1500 wouldn't be completely unreasonable.
How many square feet per person do you think is reasonable for a house?
Our home is ~840 sq ft home with two bedrooms and one bath-
for 4, sometimes 5 people
and 5 pets: one 60# dog, two cats and two birds
(which, of course, includes the dog kennel, cat beds, cat scratcher, and two large bird cages).
Therefore, I believe number and type/size of pets is an important factor, as well.
Our home is essentially 3 living areas (including the 2 bedrooms) plus one bathroom.

1) We cosleep with our two daughters, so would just need a slighly larger bedroom than we have now for sleeping purposes.
At some point, years down the road, they'll share a room.

2) My 10 yr stepson is here often and regularly.
He currently resides in our 2nd bedroom which he graciously shares with the cats and dog (and all their stuff)
and is where I keep my extra kid toys, photos, a computer, our files, etc (I guess an office, as it is).

3) Our living/kitchen/dining room is a total of 13 ft by ~ 25 ft.
It seems far too small considering the dining area is in the kitchen and houses our two birds' cages and our dining table with four chairs.
It's very hard to maneuver around the table to access my birds' cages for maintenance purposes and to interact with them (as in let them in and out).
A loveseat is the visual separator of the kitchen/dining from our living/entry.
Our living room contains two loveseats, two chairs, a computer desk, an entertainment center (that holds our tv, vcr, dvd, diapers, books and baby toys), and the floor is covered by toys, pillows and blankets most of the time.

*We have one large bathroom that includes a washer and dryer.*

Considering our setup, I think our home is far too small and I really wish, not for more stuff, but just more space for the little bit of stuff we do have.
If I were to guess, I'd say ~200 sq foot per person.
In our case, that would be a 1000 sq foot home.
Pets are a different matter, depending on their requirements.
I believe my pets require a total of 30 sq feet for their housing/feeding needs to be properly fulfilled.
This of course, is exluding any potential future yard/outdoor space.

Hobbies are another factor.
Some people may wish for a hobby/craft room for all to share, creating a need for another 100 sq ft (a 10 by 10 room).
And for gardeners, a greenhouse would be a lovely addition.

So for me, my ideal home would be between 1200 and 1400 sq foot.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#93 of 106 Old 08-10-2007, 02:45 AM

I would like a well organized home that was about 1500 square ft. I'd like lots of closets for storage definitely.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#94 of 106 Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 AM

1200-1500 is perfect for 4 we are 3 in an 840 with no garage. it is tight.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#95 of 106 Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Our house burned down so we are rebuilding right now. We did have 1150 on a basement, but now will have 1750 on a 1150 basement. We wanted to upgrade as we did not plan on kids when we built and upstairs only had 2 bedrooms(1 moderate size 15x12 and one small 10x10). Currently we have 2 kids and plan for 4-6. I honestly wish that we had only made half a basement before, but we have it now. We only had 1 room finished before and now will not have anything finished. The only thing downstairs is mechanical stuff in-hotwater heater, c/h/a, breaker box. The basement will hopefully be finished in about 10 years when we have more and older kids and a need for more bedrooms.

We expanded the upstairs to add 1 more bedroom- so one for us (although the kids still sleep with us) and one for boys and girls. We made a great room; instead of a very, very small dining room we had(where we couldn't even invite company over) and pretty small living room. We expanded the kitchen as well as I spend a lot of time in there and now will have a pantry and laundry area, before I didn't have any cabinet or closet for sheets and covers. For the most part though I don't store a lot of things. I think if I don't have the room then I don't need the stuff and I definitely do not like to use the basement to store a bunch of crap.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#96 of 106 Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
For the most part though I don't store a lot of things. I think if I don't have the room then I don't need the stuff and I definitely do not like to use the basement to store a bunch of crap.
First I want to say congratulations on being able to rebuild your home.
That must have been a very difficult, traumatic experience.

I also hate to store things (other than photos) because I think it's too easy to collect crap.
We like to freecycle, but not enough people are picking things up from us.
If I had more/any storage, I know it would be much worse and we'd have even more unused crap.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#97 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 AM

It is all about layout. We are moving from a completely open cabin (about 1600 sq. ft total I guess) to a 150 yo house (with not one closet) but so says the realtor it is 2000 sq. ft. I don't believe this for a second. We need to get rid of literally 1/2 our furniture. It's 2-3 bedrooms (tiny) 1 bath, 1 living room, one dining room. I'm loving it though. Like the scale, I'm not interested in #'s. Closets to me are only an excuse to shove unwanted things in . We have maybe 1/2 of an armoire of clothes that actually need hanging, none of the kids clothes needs hanging. A coat closet might be nice, but not a big deal.

For our family of 4, 3 bdrs. were wanted. My 7 yo dd is a collector of tiny things and likes to make up hours of stories with them. My 4 yo ds is a destroyer and will tear through a room like a tornado. My dd rarely sleeps in her own room (ironically she usually likes to sleep w/said destoyer) but she gets VERY anxious if she does not have a safe closed place for her things.
#98 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
We just bought a 1700 square foot house. It is VERY reasonably sized. In fact, I consider it to be small and cozy.

Anything under 1000 square feet for a family sounds unreasonably small to me. We are moving from a 750 square foot apartment to our new house. It will be quite the change. I have been feeling a bit cramped.
That's what we have, about 1700 sq feet, 3 bedrooms. And there are only 3 of us. But, we may have another child, I want to get a dog, we like to have people stay over, an dh uses one of the bedrooms for a home office.
For me a bigger space does not = more clutter. I like having the extra open space.
#99 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
For me a bigger space does not = more clutter. I like having the extra open space.
I like extra open space, too.
And it's true more space doesn't necessarily = more clutter.
Sometimes more storage = more clutter, though.
All those tiny nooks and crannies to stuff things away in and forget about.

#100 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Our house is 2100 square feet and I love it. It is just enough room to have a lot of people over and still feel comfortable. I know that is not usually a requirement, but we do have large groups over for bbq's (40-50) and since it rains sometimes, people are inside a lot.

Three bedrooms means one parent room, one boy room and one girl room if we have 3-4 children.

Two bathrooms means quicker showering because they can both run at once, and the opportunity to use the toilet while someone is showering or taking a bath in the other bathroom.

We only have one dining area. I think a dining room seperate from where you have a kitchen table and chairs is silly.
#101 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It isn't silly if you have people over a lot, or make holidays, or what have you. I always loved having somewhere to eat that was out of sight of the dirty dishes.

I need more space for all our books. Simplify, shmimplify, books are an essential possession.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#102 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 09:14 PM

We have an 1850sq. foot rambler and it's just about perfect. My only wish would be for another bedroom and a powder room.

I wouldn't want to go much smaller than where we are now. It's nice having wide spaces for ds to run around in and to spread out his toys (train sets and stuff).
I have a hard time relating to families with one or two kids who feel they need to have 5000sq. feet + in order to breathe. Too much for me.....

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#103 of 106 Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Red

We have 1000 sq ft for 7 of us and a BIG dog.

One bathroom.

Truly, slightly bigger space would have helped. Or the basement being a usuable space.

Not that the older kids have moved out, it's plenty for the 4 of us. (poor doggie died)
#104 of 106 Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM

I think todays homes are built way too big. The problem with most homes is not having enough sq. footage but a bad layout.

Our house 1,025 sq. ft.3 bedrooms and 1 and 1/2 baths. We are a family of 3 at the moment. I think it's the perfect size. There's no basement(as we live in Louisiana). The only storage we have is the attic and an 8x8 shed. The shed holds just our lawn equipment. We have close to an acre of land. If we don't have room for it we really don't need it.
#105 of 106 Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=Jennisee;8848470]I think it's difficult to quantify "ideal living space" in terms of square footage alone. In terms of comfort, I agree with all those who said it's about layout, not square footage. A poorly designed 2000 square foot home can feel small, and a well designed 1000 square foot home can feel large.

We have that poorly designed 2000 sq ft home. One room upstairs is a loft and therefore only exists to house dh's computer and junk. It's the second largest room in the house. I am taking up the "hobby" of drywalling to claim some more space for the girls (dh can have the little room!). Our front opens up to the staircase, and a narrow hallway (too narrow for shelves, table, bench, anything useful in a foyer). The builder put these stupid cutouts between all the rooms, so we are limited in placement of hutches, shelves, anything over 3 ft tall?! And the house has a huge stinkin front window, opening to the stairs (think about late trips up/downstairs and having to be decent all the blasted time and the fact that it is 95+ deg here and like a sauna unless I blast the ac...).

Sorry for the vent... I hate my house right now. I am trying to declutter & purge as much as I can get away with to convince DH we can afford the move closer to his office (50 miles away). Houses cost more there, so we would likely go from 2100+/- to 1500 sq ft.

But I would really like having less junk around to pick up and more time to enjoy it. DH thinks I need to stay off the "hippie board". Off for more brainwashing (tee-hee!); I'm in a mood...can you tell?!
#106 of 106 Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Deleted by user.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page