Packing lunches - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlivnmom View Post
I'm sorry for the confusion. i type fast while nursing. My dh needs a lunch everyday. Sometimes he packs it and sometimes I pack it. I am not ordered to pack the lunch. i am just looking for a better way to have the lunch packed by either him or I. and stop my use of Zip lock. Hopefully that will clear up the confusion.
: Too funny.....

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#62 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Ok.....to bring this back on topic:

I was thinking of getting new pics of my children to update my siggy.

They will wear matching wrap-sacks and be holding their favorite color lunchbox/thermos combos :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 11:05 AM

AngelBee, you're hilarious.

It's all good--really, totally fine.

<hands over bento box lunch systems to one and all>

FWIW, I use a beat-up Coleman cooler we got that thrift store for my lunches and I throw in some ice packs and whatever I think might be good to snack on throughout the day. I carry regular flatware and cloth napkins, and reusable containers whenever that makes sense.

I do love a good packed lunch.
#64 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Here's a source for some stainless steel lunch boxes/tiffens/bentos:

http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/FramesCat.asp?iGroup=333

Which type you'd want kind of depends on the kinds of lunches you're planning on packing. Like wrapnsacs are good for sandwiches. There are jars for soups, and other liquidy foods.

They sell this: http://www.aladdin-pmi.com/shop/prod...x?ProductID=77

at Target, if there's one nearby. And if you want to know what bentos are:

http://cookingcute.com/ is a good intro site. There are links off there.

Oh, I and noticed you're in hawaii, so there should be sources for bento supplies quite near you.
#65 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM

This thread would never have ended so peacefully in TAO
#66 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM

We're avid lunch packers here! Here's what we do:

DH and I each have a reusable lunch bag that we carry with us every day.
If we're having sandwiches or wraps, we use wrap and mats. To clean them, we just wipe them down with soapy water, rinse, and hang dry.
We both carry cloth napkins.
If we're having chips or something like that, we use a plastic bag and reuse it for the week. DH uses baggies for his veggies as well.
Cut fruit or other sides go in glass pyrex containers. Anything microwavable also goes in glass.
Smoothies or hot soups go in the awesome stainless steel thermos that DH got me for Christmas.
We both carry water bottles and have water cups at our desks.
DH likes granola bars and things like that, so there's usually some sort of semi-healthy processed bar in his lunch.

Some of the things that we carry our lunch in were expensive, but they've definitely paid for themselves in the years we've had them. I am astounded at how much some of my co-workers spend every day for lunch. We are definitely not skimpy with our groceries and my guess is that their lunch bill for the week is more than we spend on all of our groceries- and we eat as much local and organic as we can! Anyway. . . this is what works for us.
#67 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
This thread would never have ended so peacefully in TAO
Ain't that the truth.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I'm lusting after a bento box now.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#68 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
. I'm lusting after a bento box now.
and a manfolk, too, I assume?
#69 of 81 Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
and a manfolk, too, I assume?

:
#70 of 81 Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 AM

I have a small cooler that has a separate top section, I carry metal forks/spoons and a supply of toothpicks. In the main compartment I usually just have one 'blue ice' (and I only own one so it's important to refreeze it every night) and I carry Pyrex with plastic lids. As soon as I eat I put the dish back inside the cooler.

Occasionally I forget the cooler at work, then I am forced to use a plastic container and the community fridge because I didn't have my ice frozen, but the Pyrex and blue ice are still safely tucked away in my cooler that has my name on it and I can still use my metal forks and a toothpick if I need one.
#71 of 81 Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Here's a new related question--
I want to get back into a routine I used to do whereby Monday night's dinner leftovers became Wednesday's lunch, etc. I'd love to have simple single serving containers I can pack said leftovers in on the night they're cooked so they're ready to go for lunch. Different colors for dh, me, and dd would be great too.

I love the laptop lunchboxes, but with only one cover for the "bigger" sections I don't know if that would work. Anybody have them and able to tell me if the one I'll get a cover for is going to be big enough for an adult serving of say, spaghetti? Or have an alternative product to suggest that will work? I've been using regular tupperware but I'm a) not sure about microwaving it, and b) have family asking what do get for our birthdays coming up anyway and loooove the look of a nice little set better than the random collection we have now.

(As to feminism, I don't "have to" pack dh lunches, but just like I will consistently not remember to wash the outfit I want until the morning of an event, he will consistently not remember to pack a lunch. He makes sure I'm dressed, I make sure he's fed. )

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#72 of 81 Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM

I've found that the covered section *is* enough, as long as you plan out the other sections carefully.

It really forces you to do two things,
1) think outside standard American portion sizes, and
2) eat a much more varied and balanced diet!
#73 of 81 Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 PM

Ok, there are tips here about prefreezing portions(and other ways to make a speedier lunch in the morning). Note that her adult portion size for spaghetti is a muffin cup(the toddler gets them in mini muffin cups).

http://www.lunchinabox.net/

And on the other extreme, the most beautiful lunches I've ever seen, although I'll assume they might take a little bit longer, but who knows, maybe she's got it down to an art.

http://www.e-obento.com/mainichi-Frame-set.htm
#74 of 81 Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Thanks for the links, I am learning a lot about packing a lunch for DH.

Oh, and I do have to pack DH's lunch otherwise he cruelly oppresses me by going to Chick-fil-A.
#75 of 81 Old 08-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Megan--although I realize this is goofy and a bit dorky, I think it's cool that you have an April Fool's girl too! My dd was born 2004. How 'bout yours?

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#76 of 81 Old 08-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

i dont know if your crafty but i hear you can make those wrap-n-mats too i saw a thread a while back about it
#77 of 81 Old 08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Megan--although I realize this is goofy and a bit dorky, I think it's cool that you have an April Fool's girl too! My dd was born 2004. How 'bout yours?
Not at all, I think it is really cool. Mine was born in 2005 and she has a good friend (met through MDC) who is an April Fools baby born in 2003. It is funny because my midwife thought that DH deserved an April Fools baby (he jokes 24/7) and mentioned that some of her other clients would not have reacted well to having an April Fools baby.

I bought some of the wrap-and-mats when I bought the bento boxes. Now I am just waiting!
#78 of 81 Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 AM

I have corelle dishes the bowls come with lids. They are great.
#79 of 81 Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 PM

thanks for the coupon code!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#80 of 81 Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 AM

i like the Pyrex glass bowls. u can get a multi pack w/ different sizes in round and square. they have blue plastic lids. i'd rather have plastic lids than totally plastic containers. it is nice cause he can warm food in the bowls also. now, if he would quit losing our forks :

::
#81 of 81 Old 08-08-2007, 12:12 PM

I came here just to see if there were any threads on lunch kits! No where else but on MDC would packing lunches become controversial!

Anyway...

I have this vision of what I want to get for ds for his school lunches and for dh to take to work, but can't seem to find exactly what I want. I saw the laptop lunches and that is close to what I'm thinking, but didn't really want plastic. And, it comes with a plastic water bottle which I don't want. I see you can order the peices seperately, but I"d hate to do that just to skip one item.

The to-go kit looks nice, but wouldn't work for my tiny 4.5 yr old or for dh since he bikes to work and needs something streamlined.

That Aladdin lunchbox looks pretty decent but does it come with containers? And still plastic.

I'm envisioning some kind of bento box. Ds eats super tiny portions so something small would be fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page