Mothering Forum banner

Are there any earth-friendlier Chirstmas cards?

780 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  gothnurse3 
#1 ·
I love Christmas and Christmas cards and usually have them filled out in July (OK, not that early, but I do get carried away!)
I know it's better not to send them out, but we send photos and hand written notes to everyone (about 150 families- see why I start early!) and well, there is no getting around not sending them. I would, however, love to send (recycled) cards that wish happy holidays and remind people to do their share for the environment (like recycle the card, or hug a tree, or something
)... Do they make anything like that? Thanks!
Edit to ask-
I usually make my cards, so if I continue doing that, can anyone think of something clever to put on them?

See less See more
#3 ·
they sell cards that you can plants, but they'd be easy to make. have u ever made paper? it is pretty easy and u may want to start in July for this
I'd say you'd need to look it up on the net, but you put seeds in the card. i wonder how u get the seeds to not sprout??? that is what i think sounds tricky. anyhow, i've never received a card like this, but i've seen them for sale on the net and they are pretty expensive. they'd be fun to make though. let me know if u find out how to make them...i've never tried to find out how, but i'll look online too.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
may sound really gross, but a friend of mine uses paper made from elephant dung.... http://okfuture.net/2006/09/22/elephant-dung-paper/
It's really pretty and holds up well. Kind of gives a new meaning to coal in the stocking.

I'm also considering making my own paper (not from elephant poop). It think you can make your own pretty colorways.
It's not gross! It's only like the coolest thing EVER! Elephants are like walking paper mills! It's all natural and a great way to support fair trade practices for se asian natives, protect the forests & elephants, and help reduce the amount of chemicals used to make paper! Awesome.

#6 ·
: Postcards (even made your self out of cardstock) You would get 4 per piece of paper.

That reduces tree waste.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
: Postcards (even made your self out of cardstock) You would get 4 per piece of paper.

That reduces tree waste.

Haven't checked my own threads in a while

AngelBee, Kind of along the lines of a postcard...
Another thing we thought of doing was cutting all the past Christmas cards we've received in half (so we're using the front of the card, not the inside with the writing) and using those and just writing on the back, but since they are all different sizes, we couldn't find envolopes (we would need envolopes since we're sending photos.

#8 ·
Quote:
Another thing we thought of doing was cutting all the past Christmas cards we've received in half (so we're using the front of the card, not the inside with the writing) and using those and just writing on the back, but since they are all different sizes, we couldn't find envolopes (we would need envolopes since we're sending photos.
What if you got the holiday photo printed on a postcard? Then your recipient would get the photo and the message and you wouldn't need the envelope.

#9 ·
last year we sent out the 1 page letter and the picture in a legal size envelope, no card. and put in the letter that we are saving trees and figure the card would be thrown away anyway. no one said anything, and i doubt we will send a 'card' again, just the letter and pic.

#10 ·
I hand write a letter every year instead of a card too. I give a quick summary of the year, along with a seasonal greeting and include a pic of the family. I use a heavier weight paper and decorate it with pictures/pieces of ribbon from cards we've received in the past. The kids love doing all the cutting and glueing and its a fun family activity.

#11 ·
I rip off the cover of the card and mail it to :

St. Jude's Ranch for Children
100 St. Jude Street
Boulder City, NV 89005

Then I recycle the the "message" portion of the card. Hope that gives some people an idea of what to do with the ones they recieve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.