Got a new machine was Washing Machine Woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My washing machine is 7 years old, a top loader, water hog. The gentle cycle no longer works, the motor just does nothing on that cycle. The motor is apparently worn out. The clothes take over an hour to dry, have since we bought it, but now it's closer to 2 hours per load to dry. What can I expect from my MIL using it while she and her 3rd H lived with us and then a friend and her 3 children moved in and used it for a while too...

To my current frustration --
I put a load of my dd's clothes in 3 nights ago, in the morning I went to put them in the dryer and they all stank. So, I turned the washer on again. Came back later and they still stank. Like musty mildew and these were not wet clothes, just clothes, she's 3, they were not THAT dirty, some food drips and dirt.
The first day I just washed them again, adding a detergent w bleach alternative, then I washed them again w nothing and still stinky.
Yesterday,day 2, I decided to try natural soap & borax, nope, then baking soda and vinegar rinse, nope, still stinking.
Today, I just took 2/3 of the clothes out and put them on the floor, left 1/3 of the clothes (it's a 3.3 cu ft machine, it holds a lot and I usually load dry with plenty of room for aggitation), left the water level on extra high, added baking soda 2 cups and vinegar to the rinse. And now I wait the hour it takes to run the cycle.
This has been going on for 3 days now!!! I'm beyond frustrated. I have 4 children, I have exactly 1 weeks worth of clothes for each. I have less than that for myself, my dh just buys more. I need to wash clothes, oh and there are no clean towels or sheets left in the house either.
I've told my dh for about a year now that the washing machine is going. The last time we had it repaired I told him that was the last time. Oh, I didn't mention that my 7 yr old machines have each been repaired 3X in the first 6 years!!! Maytags are supposed to be good machines, well, I won't buy another one. Our Maytag fridge is the pits too.
I just called my dh and said when can we buy a new washer, I've been washing dd's clothes for 3 days and they won't come clean, I'm beyond frustrated. He said, I thought we were out of minutes, yeah we had 25 yesterday morning and we have 21 this morning, I can call and give him a heads up that we need a washing machine ASAP because I haven't been doing as much laundry as I need to b/c of this crappy machine and the time it takes to do 1 load plus drying it. It's killing us.
I want a Kenmore Oasis Canon Capacity or the Whirlpool Cabrio (same thing). Kenmore extended warrenty would make me buy from Sears. They will keep selling their warrenty for YEARS and I am just hard on machines I guess. I'm not opting for the front loader for a lot of reasons, but #1 is the mildew smell reviews!!! I'm honestly torn between a top load water efficient or the front load. Cabrio is 4.5cu ft, Duet or other front load maxes at 3.8 cu ft. I need a large washer that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you tried sunning the clothes. That might kill any of the smelly germs, plus my clothes smell better when hung to dry in general.

Maybe also try a cycle with bleach, no clothes, to kill any germs in the washer.

Possible a trip to the laundrymat to catch up on clothes.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Outside and clothes does not work, ragweed just hit full force and I'm miserable indoors - asthmatic reactions here, serious, not just a little hay fever and I'm taking a prescription med.
Laundry mat, the last time the washer broke and was broken long enough I had to go, it was $45 for me to get all the laundry caught up. I just don't have the extra funds to go to the laundry mat when $50 could help pay for a new machine.
I might try bleach after I'm done with dd's clothes.
I took out most of the clothes and I'm washing just less than 1/2 of the machine with full water. What a waste, but this is rediculous. It seemed to work. I really think the adgitation is just so weak it can do anything and the spin cycle is weak as well. It is just caput.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Dh said I could go buy new machines today. I bought the Whirlpool Duet set.
Somehow there is not thrill in that. It's rather depressing to think I just spent more money on a washer and dryer than my parents have in the 2 washer and dryers they have owned from Sears since they were married in 1967!
They don't make things like they used to.
The Maytags I have were supposed to be good for 12 years when I bought them, 5 years after they were manufactured they realized they were only good for about 4. THANKS Maytag... Well, Maytag is now Whirlpool, Whirlpool owns just about everything, except GE in US appliance names, note I say names, the box in Home Depot of the Maytag said Made in Korea.
I bought from a local dealer who services only what they sell.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:48 AM

Just be sure to leave the washer door open after each load. That way the rubber gasket can dry out and keep the mold smell to a minimum.

User Tag List