Ethically made underwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I really need another new bra or two, and I would really like some new panties. But I'm being much more mindful of what companies I want to support right now, so I want to do some research before buying.

With bras in particular, I don't have THAT many options- at least not compared to my 12yo. The only companies I can quickly find who make front-hook "regular" bras in 38I are Goddess, Elila, and Glamourise. I'm not looking for a "leisure bra" or an "un-bra", and I can't handle back-hook bras due to limited mobility in my shoulders.

I know that "made in China" is bad, and "made in USA" or any European country is good, but what about Malaysia or El Salvadore?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No idea, but I am interested to know too. I am a 36H, and in need of some new bras.
#3 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, an internet search turned up both the Goddess and the Glamorise websites, neither of which give ANY information about their manufacturing processes- just a list of their products and suggestions on getting the right fit. "Company info" is limited to the date they started making bras- nothing about where their bras are currently being manufactured or how their workers are being treated.

I couldn't find any information about the Elila company at all.

I may end up ordering a bra from an "unknown" manufacturer but from a repuatable store. I'm not spending $100 for a custom made bra (so I know it's made ethically because I'm in email contact with the person doing the sewing) when I'm still trying to lose weight and I can get something that fits for a third of the price!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#4 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Meh, my current ones costed $100 already, so I will be spending that if I go back to the store where I bought these.
#5 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have you checked at Breakout Bras? Their customer service is fantastic and their size range is incredible. I'm sure that if you called, they would tell you where their products are made at least.
http://www.breakoutbras.com/
#6 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gool0005 View Post
have you checked at Breakout Bras? Their customer service is fantastic and their size range is incredible. I'm sure that if you called, they would tell you where their products are made at least.
http://www.breakoutbras.com/
They have an extremely limited selection in my size in front hook- one bra!

#7 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 03:10 PM

You can get everything you need to make your own and learn how at www.corsetmaking.com.
#8 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM

I had to laugh at that site. They do have everything needed, if that includes cup sizes A B or C. That would cover my nipples, and not much else. Otherwise, it may be a good idea (again, not for me, I can't sew yet...)
#9 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Buy Davina's Dundies! Search for her on Hyenacart. they're wonderfully comfy and she's a wahm.
#10 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Whoa! Rebecca, are those the only sizes? Yikes!

But if someone did know how to sew, maybe they could use the principles and make their own size.

I actually do alot of reconstructed clothing where I take used clothes and alter them or turn them into something else. Sometimes I buy used strapless corset bras and cover the non-stretch panels with cool fabrics and add a strap for a halter-type top. (very 40s looking) But I often have to cut out and "reinstall" the boobs to fit.

Once you know how to make the basic structure, it wouldn't be hard to fit the breast size properly.
#11 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM

No, I am sure it wouldn't be. I may get there one day. I am right now trying to figure out which sewing machine to buy, then learning to sew, so I am not there at all yet. Hopefully one day.
#12 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Oh sorry, I've been in nursing bras exclusivley for the past 4 years and BreakOut bras is the only place that has H and above in a 36 band (several styles for that size range in nursing bras actually). I'm sorry, I did assume that since they had such a serioulsy huge nursing bra selection, that it would have carried over to their non-nursing bras sold there, that was my bad .
#13 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 AM

I have a Glamorise bra...brb Ill go check the tag and see if it says anything.
#14 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 03:49 AM

Glamorise® Imported. Unfortunatley, it doesnt say where it was imported from: Good luck mama!
#15 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 AM

Sometimes it sucks to be so full figured doesn't it? I have the worst time finding bras that fit right and have enough support. Especially to find them under $50 or more or to not look like a moo moo bra. Almost every company expects that if you are bigger than a D cup in cup size that you are going to be more than 40 around. Not good if you wear a 36 in a G,H, I, etc. I had such a hard time when I was pregnant I cried when I ordered the last and bra and it didn't fit! I just wear sport bras now and don't even know what my real "size" is. I hope you find something.
#16 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a Glamorise bra from Woman Within (formerly known as Lane Bryant Catalog.) I had a catalog code for $.99 shipping, plus the bra I wanted was on sale for $28.

I have no clue if Glamorise is any more or less ethically made than Goddess or Elila, but it's going to fit (I already have that size and style in another color) and it's less than $30.

My bras won't last forever, and hopefully I'll "outshrink" these bras in a few months anyway. So I still want to find out about bra companies even though I'm not buying another bra right now.

#17 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sending an email to a few different bra makers, and I'll update this thread if/when I get any responses. Here's what I'm sending to Enell, Goddess, Elila, and Glamorise:

Where are your bras manufactured? I'm trying to avoid purchasing products that have been made in China, or in "sweatshops" anywhere in the world, and it's frustrating that no bra companies seem to have this information on their websites! I'd like to know both where the bras are sewn and where the materials (fabric, hooks, etc) are produced.

Thank You.
(my contact information)

#18 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM

I currently go bra-free but when I am nursing, at least for the first few months, I have to wear a bra because I leak and I need something to put the pads in, lol.

Does anything know anything about Motherwear? I guess I need to do some research!

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#19 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Have you looked at Decent Exposures? They have a front-hook style that can be made in " LINED LYCRA ® or LINED DRI-RELEASE® - for firm support without underwires. Two layers in front offer firm support. Cooler and thinner than velour. Especially great for D-K cups"

It might be too "un-bra"-ish for you, but they are ethically made in Seattle and very customer-service oriented-- I have a well-endowed relative who swears by them. They also make panties and other clothing.

Decent Exposures

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#20 of 23 Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I already know about Decent Exposures, but they don't make bras in the style that I really want. It might provide decent support but they don't provide much in the way of shaping or uplift. Stretchy fabrics just DON'T work for me, except as leisure bras. In fact, I had Decent Exposures in mind when I mentioned "un-bra" since that's what they call their bras.

Anyway, I got responses from Elila and Enell- I'm still waiting for a reply from Goddess.

Elila said
Quote:
Our bras are made in Malaysia and the fabrics come from all over the world. A few of the small components like bows are made in china but there is no escaping that. The reason why most companies don’t post it on their websites (we do actually) is because there are many factories in many countries and they change all the time. Every company though has to state where the garment is made on the label. As for the fabric, some garments have as many as 28 components and that is too difficult to list.
The Enell bras are made in Mexico of U.S. materials.

#21 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
In fact, I had Decent Exposures in mind when I mentioned "un-bra" since that's what they call their bras.
Sorry, I'm not a careful reader today!

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#22 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I already know about Decent Exposures, but they don't make bras in the style that I really want. It might provide decent support but they don't provide much in the way of shaping or uplift. Stretchy fabrics just DON'T work for me, except as leisure bras. In fact, I had Decent Exposures in mind when I mentioned "un-bra" since that's what they call their bras.
I agree, its not for me either.

Now, is Malaysia good or bad?
#23 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
I agree, its not for me either.

Now, is Malaysia good or bad?
That's what I need help figuring out!

User Tag List