S/O Flooring choice ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the heels of my previous thread regarding hardwood or carpet (yea, easy choice I see ... though I didn't mention I have SID issues and can't stand the feeling of stuff under foot, which means with hardwood I'll have to sweep/vacuum daily, but I digress!), I thought I'd ask about your "dream" flooring ... if you could install any flooring in your house, what would it be? Do you have different loves depending on the rooms (kitchen/dining room versus the family room versus bathrooms versus bedrooms)?

We are redoing the hardwoods in my dad's house when we start renovating. And we figured we'd go with travertine in the entry, dining room, kitchen, and the two bathrooms. That leaves only the den that will need flooring as it was an addition and doesn't have hardwood. But, I started thinking that maybe doing something consistent from the entry, through the kitchen to the den would be nice (I like continuity in colors and flooring ... I am not really big on different colors and floors in every room). But, I don't want tile in the den/family room. I've read mixed reviews on both cork and bamboo. But then there is natural linoleum (marmoleum) that looks interesting ... but I wonder if that is the equivalent of putting formica on the counters ... not much of an upgrade if that makes sense. So ... what is your favorite flooring?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM

I sure wish you had answers to this thread I'm interested too!

I've got carpet all upstairs except the bathroom. It is so nasty. We're not ready yet to change it, but I'd love to start thinking about it and planning the perfect floor. I'm completely ignorant of the possibilities.

My mom just redid the floor of her whole house - was previously 100% carpeted (yes! even kitchen and bathrooms! can you believe it?) and now it's 95% laminate that looks like hardwood. When she told me that, I couldn't picture it and thought it would look tacky, but it's just lovely. She said there were environmental advantages to laminate over hardwood but I don't buy it. (The other 5% is one bedroom that has a flooring of a type I can't recall the name of... it's a poured stone floor, according to my mother... very strange, to me).

Anyway, I'm just having a terrific lack of imagination when I think of the floor upstairs, and would love to know my options from crunchy families.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 8 Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 PM

My dream would be 100% wood flooring. I have no clue where to get wood- all I see is laminate everywhere... but one day I'll convince a landlord to allow it.... I can bribe with perhaps a slight rent increase... -mwahaha, plots-

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#4 of 8 Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM

My favorite flooring is what I have now--waxed hardwood. Failing that, wood laminate. I'd like something else in the kitchen, but I'm not sure what exactly. I've seen rubbery tiles that I liked in a kitchen. I could deal with wood in the kitchen, with rubber mats under the work areas. For the bathroom, tile that's easy to clean. I'd like to throttle the person who chose the textured white flooring that's in there now.
#5 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 AM

dream floors. mmmmm. cork! squishey, green, and makes it quieter, too. :

that said-- i'm with you on the sweeping all the time... i was like that at first when we moved from a wall to wall carpeted house (the long time dream of a girl who grew up with hardwoods... ) back to a wood floored house.... I was getting really pissy about constantly cleaning the floors... one day I was griping and moaning about it, and I kind of mumbled to myself: "or, i could just put my slippers on and shut up..." of course, this phrase is now a family favorite-- whenever i complain about anything, dh yells: "put your slippers on and shut up!"

we're building a house, and it will be stained concrete... i'd rather do reclaimed wood, but $$ rules right now. still, i do dream of cork.
#6 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 01:52 AM

I just did my entire basement in marmoleum and love it so far.

I want cork flooring when I redo my upstairs.

I will never have carpet again!! too hard to clean
#7 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post
that said-- i'm with you on the sweeping all the time... i was like that at first when we moved from a wall to wall carpeted house (the long time dream of a girl who grew up with hardwoods... ) back to a wood floored house.... I was getting really pissy about constantly cleaning the floors... one day I was griping and moaning about it, and I kind of mumbled to myself: "or, i could just put my slippers on and shut up..." of course, this phrase is now a family favorite-- whenever i complain about anything, dh yells: "put your slippers on and shut up!"
This is me, exactly. I have a wood floor now, which I love, but I seem to have forgotten how to sweep. (I want a swivel sweeper--this is my latest obsession.) I hated my carpet, and I love my wood floor, but I don't remember all this grit all over my feet, and I know I didn't sweep constantly, before...
#8 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
I hated my carpet, and I love my wood floor, but I don't remember all this grit all over my feet, and I know I didn't sweep constantly, before...
ok, this is weird... i totally remember when we first moved here, having the grit problem.... i havent been noticing it lately, and i'm trying to figure out why (i dont wear the slippers in summer )... other than DS is *obsessed* with mopping and vaccuming... or "mopuming" ........... one huge thing is to keep the shoes OUT of the house entirely. i think that might have made a big difference. we have never worn shoes in the house, but we started keeping them outside the door-- so we dont even track stuff in to the door mat..... i wonder if that did it? again-- we mopum a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page