Don't You Want a Real Bag? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
This is the best pattern I've found so far.
That is the pattern I use, too. It is really sturdy!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks, mamas! That bag may be beyond my (very) limited sewing capabilities but it's exactly what I was looking for.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 PM

I can't believe I just read that. I have seen similar looks even at the farmers market! you would think that there, you would be safe bringing your canvas bags!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Over the years we have acquired an estensive collection of canvas bags. I think we have about 25 (thank you yard sales and clean-up days). Since I shop at Trader Joes only once a month or so, I take along a VERY large pile of canvas bags and throw them on the shelf under the cart so they are accessible when the cart is overflowing at the end of my shopping trip. Plus I usually have two refrigerator bags for the frozen/cold stuff. The folks in TJ are very nice about it. Of course, I always do help bag. (I love TJ's. When the see me coming, they go out and grap an extra cart and keep it up by the register so I can just drop off my full cart and grap the next one. You should see the looks I get from other customers!!! . However, it is the cat food that mostly fills up the cart! We don't really eat all that much in a month..)Anyway, for years and years I have basically been the only person I have ever seen using their own bags. But now every time I go to any supermarket, I see at least a few others. And I have gotten more devoted myself to the point of remembering every single time I shop virtually, using light canvas ones for produce and leaving a couple of extra in the cars. I shop for things other than food only on the very rarest of occasions, but I have never actually gotten a dirty look. Truthfully, once you get used to using nice strong canvas bags, paper and plastic seem flimsy and annoying and even more annoying at home when you need to recycle them rather than just putting them back on their hook where they belong!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
Truthfully, once you get used to using nice strong canvas bags, paper and plastic seem flimsy and annoying and even more annoying at home when you need to recycle them rather than just putting them back on their hook where they belong!
I know what you mean, we forgot our bags the other day, and had to use plastic (no paper) and we had a million of them, you just cant pack all the stuff in them like we would our fabric bags. I kept complaining to dh "this all would have fitted in 3 bags easily" and he agreed.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 PM

About half the time when I check out, I put my cloth bags on TOP of the groceries at the head of the line and the cashier just takes them and sets them aside and starts putting my groceries in plastic bags. What the heck?! It's like you have to wait and watch them and then when you see the plastic bag come out you you have to shout "oh no, I'd like them in my bags please!" The other half of the checkout clerks will use them, but they always seem to have to look quizzically at the bags first and then ask you "did you want your groceries in the bag?" Well duh! No, I just like to put them in your way so that you have to move them. Then when they do put groceries in your bag, they pack it like an easily breakable plastic bag and only put three items in it. Hello? My heavy-duty canvas bag holds more than a gallon of milk, thanks.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 AM
DBZ

Oh I was so annoyed the other day. A friend and I went shopping and we went to the Christmas Tree Shoppe. I didn't buy much, but two of the things where backpacks. I asked the cashier not to bag them and she went on with the store policy BS, so thanks to a tip I read here, I took her stupid bag and went to the door. I handed my stuff to my friend and brought my bag back to the cashier. Boy did she give me the dirtiest look ever LOL.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 AM

I haven't really gotten many strange looks, but they always want to put some things in the plastic first and then put them in my bag as if protecting my item from something. My biggest problem is the bagging person not knowing how to pack them. They are so used to only being able to put a couple of items per bag, that they are stumped by my canvas ones that will hold a lot. I usually have to step in and tell them I'll bag it. They'll start putting the soft stuff in first and want to put heavy bottles on top, or, they'll try to pack them just like the plastic ones and only put a couple things in. I have to tell them pretty often, "It'll hold more...a lot more."

It's so strange too, because these grocery stores have starting "selling" canvas bags with their logo on the front; I think "carrying" is a better word because I haven't ever seen anyone else in there (or in my local area for that matter) using a canvas bag. Some people here must be using them though; the chico bags have flown off the shelf in my local HFS.

I LOVE my canvas bags. I didn't really realize how many plastic bags I was accumulating until I stopped bringing them home!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM

you know, sometimes I have to remember to get a few paper sacks because that is how they take newspaper recycling in my town! Or, I'll sneak a plastic one into my canvas bag because I'm low on mini trash can bags! I love not having a knot of plastic bags under the sink though...
Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
This is the best pattern I've found so far.
I love it! Now can someone make me some. I have a few bags I got at A&P, but I always forget to bring them. I'm going shopping today so I'm going to remember.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtjones
Isn't it more environmentally friendly (and easier on the wallet) to just use cloth tote bags you can buy from a garage sale or a thrift store? I laughed when I saw one web site that actually sells cloth grocery bags. I've gotten them from various places for free or less than $1, all secondhand.
Most of mine are a hodgepodge of logo bags, but I did splurge on some Chico bags because I could stuff them into that little bag they have and carry them in my purse so when I forgot my bags, and also DH did mind carrying them around. Had I seen that great pattern though, I would have probably done those instead! Those are awesome -- gonna make some of those anyway.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM

i'm mostly a lurker here, but i ordered 20 bags from here: http://earthwisebags.com/

No store names on them at all, and they were only $1 bag plus shipping. Plus the more you buy the cheaper they are. They look like they are out of stock for until next week, but it's still a great deal.

My son just won school president, and he's gonna suggest selling these as a fundraiser. He loves them too!

HTH someone!
~michelle
Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 AM

I find the argument that the bag shows you paid for it hilarious!!! Sooo, say you shopped there a few weeks ago and took a plastic bag.. brought it with you and loaded up today... does that mean you paid for the new stuff too? LMFAO
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
And, if you buy them at the thrift store, you can collect bags for defunct companies, then the advertising is a moot point!
my current fave bag is a mesh duffle i bought new for $1 at thrift store, it has a canvas area embroidered "SLC 2001"
DH told me not to take it on vacation b/c I didn't know what slc was, what will you say when someone asks you...I told him 1. who would ask??
2. If you need an answer Savannah Lawn Care, who would know the difference
...No one asked

that same day I bought that bad i got an LL Bean backpack for $1....the worker was puitting out kids VHS saw dd and ds and asked if I wanted the movies , i said : No, but how about the bag....voila, $1 and a seam ripper to remove some kids monogram and ds has a new diperbag
btw LL Bean has a lg backpack for $12.99 with free S/H right now if you need one, in a cool orange &blue print
Old 10-16-2007, 01:47 PM

I was at Fred Meyer the other day, using their cloth bags, and the sales checker glared at me and then started complaining about how she hates their new cloth bags (they just started selling them for about $1.oo ea). The whole time she rang up my groceries, she went on and on about how much harder they are to load, how they don't fit well in her bagging area, how they get dirty and she didn't think they were sanitary, how much of a pain they were for the checkers, etc... I went up to the store manager and complained about her. I don't want to get someone in trouble... but come on!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 PM

:::::bounc y:::::soa pbox:
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Here are 2 of my worst bag annoyances:

1. I used to be a manager of a clothing store (hell job btw) and my assistant drove me crazy - if a person came in w/ an exchange she would throw the bag away they brought the item to return it in (I am talking if it was one of OUR bags, not even a different store!) and say to customer, "I'll give you a nice brand new bag for this." Drove me absolutely insane.

2. Someone mentioned it happened to them and it happened to me as well...I have said I don't need a bag, I'll just use my purse, and the cashier takes the item out of the bag then throws it away!!! At least if I had taken it it would have been reused and/or recycled!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I had someone try to double bag with cloth once

Quote:
Originally Posted by abharrington View Post
i had a checker at Target tell me that if i refused the bag, i would not be allowed to return or exchange the item should i so desire to later on. I politely asked how he would know when i was standing in the return line, if i had taken a bag at the original purchase time??? he stammereds, and said, well, if you get the idem dirty on the way to your car, then you can't return it. ok buddy...got it...won't get it dirty. lol
Uh... how many people even bring a bag with them when they return? Or if they do, how often is it from the store you actually bought it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherE View Post
At the grocery store where i go the bagger, an elderly gentleman, told me that my cloth bags were a bad idea because meat would get germs in them and get all over everything. : I didn't even buy meat that day.
Uh, that is why they make washing machines :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
Same here. The secret? We keep several in each car, so we have one for that quick stop! All you need to do is hang them on the front door knob after unloading, and the next time you go out, viola! Toss em in the trunk!

DH and I each have four chico bags that fit in to their own little bags. DH hangs them from his belt loops before he goes in to a store. That works well for us. Then I have the large stash of canvas for when I do the grocery shopping.

I never have any trouble at the grocery store I shop at. I usually bag my own though, because I used to work as a cashier, so I am used to it. I did have one cashier who did an impecable job bagging while I was getting my coupons out. I was really impressed with how neat, organized and "balanced" the bag was :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

User Tag List