Don't You Want a Real Bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at Children's Place yesterday and I bought TWO l/s shirts for my little guy and after the transaction, I placed the two tiny shirts in my mesh bag. The sales associate gave me the dirtiest look and asked, "Don't you want a real bag?" I said, "This is a real bag. We try not to use plastic bags so we bring our own."

Uh, did I not just PAY for the shirts? What's it to ya?

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#2 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM

I was FORCED to take a plastic bag at the Carters outlet store last year. The cashier said she could get fired for not putting my things in their plastic bag. I explained that I had a bag and didn't want plastic, but it didn't matter. She was saying the bags were proof that customers paid for the items. Umm, I thought that's what the receipts were for!!!

So, I took the bag, walked out of the store, put the items into my own bag, then brought her the plastic bag back to reuse for the next customer! Can't bully me into keeping a plastic bag
#3 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM

God! I hate it when they look at you like you have three heads for bringing your own bags. Like it's some novel new idea! The grocery store is the worst! They even sell the reusable bags there, right next to the bagger, but it makes little difference. Whenever dh is complaining about how it takes longer, using the U-Scan, we take a little trip through the regular lane to remind him how confused our cloth bags make them. And they NEVER fill them full enough! It's not your crappy plastic bag, dude! It won't break if you put 4 jugs of oj in there! :
#4 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Well that was snooty. I haven't encountered that. Usually the clerks don't care. But I can see why it would be a policy at some places that they have to give you a bag. It's advertising for them as soon as you walk out with that bag.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#5 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Either they get it or they don't, not that there's much to get. On the flip side, a sales associate at Barnes and Noble thanked me for "saving the Earth."

I don't know about all that. I said, "I'm just doing my part."

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#6 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

That would be so annoyingly frustrating.
Perhaps it's where I live (Vancouver) but I've never encountered that attitude. It seems relatively common here for people to use cloth bags. I have had small shop owners thank me for bringing cloth bags.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
And they NEVER fill them full enough! It's not your crappy plastic bag, dude! It won't break if you put 4 jugs of oj in there! :
LOL - I help them! That makes them happy too......

Do you take your Albertson's bags to Trader Joes? I'm debating whether I should buy new TJ bags or not.......
#8 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post

Do you take your Albertson's bags to Trader Joes? I'm debating whether I should buy new TJ bags or not.......
I take my TJ and other chain bags to whatever store I happen to be going to. No reason I need to advertise for the store I happen to be shopping in.
#9 of 78 Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 PM

when i was preggo i got into a similar situation and me and the sales associate were YELLING back and forth and dh had to drag me out of the store (w/ no bag, might i add )

::
#10 of 78 Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradmama View Post

I just brought my hannaford's bags to market basket - absolutely no guilt.

I haven't had any problems with the cashier's using the cloth bags, hannafords now even offers 5 cents off for each cloth bag you bring, and I've found that the cashier just counts the bags you have (or asks) and gives you the discount, doesn't actually pay attention to how many you end up using....

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#11 of 78 Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 AM

I've had people try to bag things in plastic, then put them in my cloth bags! For some reason, our farmer's market is really bad about this. :
#12 of 78 Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
God! I hate it when they look at you like you have three heads for bringing your own bags. Like it's some novel new idea! The grocery store is the worst! They even sell the reusable bags there, right next to the bagger, but it makes little difference. Whenever dh is complaining about how it takes longer, using the U-Scan, we take a little trip through the regular lane to remind him how confused our cloth bags make them. And they NEVER fill them full enough! It's not your crappy plastic bag, dude! It won't break if you put 4 jugs of oj in there! :
I had someone try to double bag with cloth once

But I usually have the opposite problem. One of my bags is really huge and they ALWAYS try to stuff it full. One guy put a dozen cans and three things of milk in there.
#13 of 78 Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 PM

That used to happen to me. Now we have whole foods, they give you a nickel or every bag you bring as does trader joes. I think more stores are catching on. In fact dh read that a lot of store are going to start charging for bags.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#14 of 78 Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 AM

I know when I worked at wal-mart, they would have freaked if somone wanted to use either a cloth bag or a plastic bag from another store. Maybe that's why they're the only place in my city with those bins to bring plastic bags for recycling. Anyhow, they said that's how the greeters know the items were paid for and not shoplifted. I always thought that was what the receipt was for, myself.
#15 of 78 Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM

I have actually gotten into an altercation w/ a walmart employee because they tried to make me take a bag.

It was a giant cardboard piece w/ a collection of like 25 water guns. Definitely NOT bag compatible! It ended with me crumpling the bag, throwing it on the floor and storming out of the store.

One of the last times I went in their store!
#16 of 78 Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 AM

I live in a very uppity non-green area. Every single time I bring in my awesome totes, the gal checking my groceries goes "what is this? Do I put vegetables in it?"
#17 of 78 Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
when i was preggo i got into a similar situation and me and the sales associate were YELLING back and forth and dh had to drag me out of the store (w/ no bag, might i add )
They should've known better than to mess with the preggo lady!

Quote:
I know when I worked at wal-mart, they would have freaked if somone wanted to use either a cloth bag or a plastic bag from another store. Maybe that's why they're the only place in my city with those bins to bring plastic bags for recycling. Anyhow, they said that's how the greeters know the items were paid for and not shoplifted. I always thought that was what the receipt was for, myself.
Well my new bags should be in soon. I can't wait to see the reaction at Walmart when I bring them in. I'm bringing them back all their awful plastic bags that are piled up here too. I hope their recycling bin is empty when I get there! I got these bags too... http://www.reusablebags.com/store/ac...ng-p-809.html#

This should be interesting!
#18 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 AM
DBZ

Oh if you want to get a good look from a cashier, use a home made cloth bag. Before the stores started selling cloth bags, I'd sometimes bring in my denim bags. I made them from my old jeans. The cashier looked at me as if I had grown 3 more eyes.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#19 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 AM

the stores want you to use their bags b/c of the advertising - y/k, if you are walking through the parking lot with "walmart" hanging off your arm, then everyone will want to shop at walmart :. I actually had a clerk in radio shack explain this to my son the other day.

I got an earful when I brought a trader joe's bag into whole foods - hey, I'm in your store now, giving you money, get off my back about shopping at another store!
#20 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 01:06 AM
DBZ

I'm seriously considering painting over the store logos. I hate advertising a store.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#21 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM

I love my cloth bags. I bought the first kind that came out around here, green ones from Save-on-foods. If there's even a logo on them, it's VERY small. I like that.

I wouldn't be caught dead with one of Walmart's new reusable bags :

My main grocery store, Superstore, has a "bin" program. You pay $4/bin if you want them, and they fit perfectly in the grocery cart (including two that attach down by your feet if you want). Then you take your groceries home in bins! I love it
#22 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM

It can happen little by little: read this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...p/22/recycling

I've been making tote bags for friends and they really like them.
#23 of 78 Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 PM

i had a checker at Target tell me that if i refused the bag, i would not be allowed to return or exchange the item should i so desire to later on. I politely asked how he would know when i was standing in the return line, if i had taken a bag at the original purchase time??? he stammereds, and said, well, if you get the idem dirty on the way to your car, then you can't return it. ok buddy...got it...won't get it dirty. lol

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#24 of 78 Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abharrington View Post
i had a checker at Target tell me that if i refused the bag, i would not be allowed to return or exchange the item should i so desire to later on. I politely asked how he would know when i was standing in the return line, if i had taken a bag at the original purchase time??? he stammereds, and said, well, if you get the idem dirty on the way to your car, then you can't return it. ok buddy...got it...won't get it dirty. lol
That's a new one -- I thought I've heard them all!!
#25 of 78 Old 09-23-2007, 04:56 PM

I knew I wasn't the only one who gave the bagger a little lecture about bagging the groceries
If they bag them ( 3 small tins of beans in a bag say, ) I will always just shove a load of stuff on top. They will then more often than not tell me that it will be heavy, and I just keep on adding to their "full" bags, but tell them what a waste of resources etc they are. I do say it in a nice way, as they are helping to pack my groceries, which i fully appreciate, but it doesn't hurt to spread the word!!!

I shop at a very very discount supermarket chain, where you have to pay for your carriage ( you get the depsoit back at the end when you return it, and you also have to pay for shopping bags. Many people bring their own.
That is much the way that it is in the UK also.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#26 of 78 Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm just outside of Vancouver and most stores are okay with cloth bags. One grocery store in particular encourages it. They charge you for each plastic bag you use. They sell plastic bins and cloth bags there specifically for packing your groceries in. The bread outlet store down the street now gives you a slight discount as well for each cloth bag you bring in to pack your stuff in.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#27 of 78 Old 09-24-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella-makes-3 View Post
I knew I wasn't the only one who gave the bagger a little lecture about bagging the groceries
If they bag them ( 3 small tins of beans in a bag say, ) I will always just shove a load of stuff on top. They will then more often than not tell me that it will be heavy, and I just keep on adding to their "full" bags, but tell them what a waste of resources etc they are. I do say it in a nice way, as they are helping to pack my groceries, which i fully appreciate, but it doesn't hurt to spread the word!!!

I shop at a very very discount supermarket chain, where you have to pay for your carriage ( you get the depsoit back at the end when you return it, and you also have to pay for shopping bags. Many people bring their own.
That is much the way that it is in the UK also.
I used to be a bagger like 11 years ago. These new baggers sure don't put very much in one bag. I always start stuffing more in my bags so they don't use any other bags besides the ones I brought. I just start doing it, I don't mind heavy bags either.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#28 of 78 Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM

At the grocery store where i go the bagger, an elderly gentleman, told me that my cloth bags were a bad idea because meat would get germs in them and get all over everything. : I didn't even buy meat that day.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#29 of 78 Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
I'm seriously considering painting over the store logos. I hate advertising a store.
painting over them is a good idea! I don't like that either! I haven't gotten any with a store name on it..I just use chico bags or homemade..
#30 of 78 Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherE View Post
At the grocery store where i go the bagger, an elderly gentleman, told me that my cloth bags were a bad idea because meat would get germs in them and get all over everything. : I didn't even buy meat that day.
Hrm....heard of a washing machine, sir?

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page