Real or Artificial Christmas Tree? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you put up a real Christmas Tree or an artificial one?
Real Tree 92 46.46%
Artificial Tree 84 42.42%
Neither or Other 22 11.11%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Real Tree.....it smells no nice. It also make a nice tradition for the kids. We pick it out, chop it down, bring it home (singing christmas songs in the car, like that movie), set it up, etc. Sometimes it's the things like this that make you overlook the other things.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#62 of 85 Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM

we have had real trees in the past but, i personally think the shedding and the watering are a hassle. I got a artificial tree that is prelit on sale a few years back and we use it and store it in the attic during the off season
#63 of 85 Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM

We had a fake tree for years, but my cats just decided to start peeing on it while it was stored in the basement. So I think we will do real trees from now on, even though we are all allergic to them.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#64 of 85 Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Artificial one we got out of someone else's trash :

We are on year 4 or so I think.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 85 Old 10-10-2007, 05:58 PM

I have wire ornament trees. My ornaments don't get lost in the foliage.
#66 of 85 Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM

We have a potted Norfolk pine inside all year... it is really small and cute. I found tiny little simple balls to put on it and we wrap a string of mini lights around the base of the pot. It is cute! Sometimes I put it on a table with a nice cloth and maybe some cut holly and pinecones around the base. I love our little tree! There is some other plant happily growing in there with it that trails all around the base! It was a nice 15 dollar investment 5 or so years ago!

:
#67 of 85 Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM

We have a fake one, I have a pine allergy which is really annoying since I love the smell of pine.
#68 of 85 Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Fake tree again this year, I have to buy one though. (Left our tree behind when we moved, and borrowed a fake tree last year) Dh should be able to come home for the holidays, and he's severely allergic to pine, otherwise I'd love to have a real tree, I miss the pine smell.
#69 of 85 Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 PM

We've done both real and artificial. I like real ones the best. I hate cleaning up after it though. This year I'm not sure what we are doing. My ds is 1yo and into everything so I know he'd pull ornaments and lights off it. Maybe one of the rosemary trees on the dining room table.
#70 of 85 Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Fake. My son has allergies and pine makes him miserable.
#71 of 85 Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 PM

As a child, we had real.

The last time, it was real and potted, and we planted it in our backyard at the end of the season.

I had a real tree as an adult.... I found out I was allergic.

If I have a tree again (as in, if we have room and if we decide it is a holiday we see any point in celebrating in any way) it will be artificial.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#72 of 85 Old 10-27-2007, 11:47 PM

We always had a real tree when we were in hawaii. Now that we have dd2 we have an artificial tree. This will be the 3rd year to have it up. I do miss having a real tree, but she has severe asthma and pine trees agitate her allergies. Not having to give her a breathing treatment is more important that having a real tree. we are looking into other options because i am worried about the lead in the lights and tree itself.
Tree
#73 of 85 Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 AM

We've always had a real tree. It's kind of hard to avoid because my FIL works in the tree farming business. But god, it makes such a mess, and dries out so quick (and yes, of course we keep it watered! And I've tried all kinds of supposed tricks... sugar in the water, bleach in the water, cutting it just so, etc...) And it just seems kind of weird to make such a fuss over a dying tree. I'm not a big fan of commercial farming anyway -- I live in the midst of farm country and the pesticides they use are awful. I wish desperately we could afford to move right now, I worry about what it's doing to our health.

I keep lobbying for not having a tree at all, but I have to admit I am partial to retro-look trees right now, for instance: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluecoat/305154942/
#74 of 85 Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 AM

We did real for years. Two years ago we were given a very nice fake tree and have been doing that since. DH was gone one Xmas and me strapping the real tree to my car and then dragging it in the house by myself with all three kids in tow I just didn't want to do. So I said I wasn't going to have a tree and someone gave me this one. I like it so I have been using it since.
#75 of 85 Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 AM

I live in Florida so its kind of the rule to have icky fake stuff. LOL j/k But we do use a fake tree. Someday we will get a real one. I always had real growing up in NY and it smelled sooooo good but then again I would have to deal with the sap and the watering and the needles and I am kind of paranoid about fires so maybe I wont.
#76 of 85 Old 10-28-2007, 01:07 AM

Real every year! Although I am not opposed to faux trees as decorations around the house (like smaller ones, maybe). We just have to have the real thing in the house at Christmastime.
#77 of 85 Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM

Always real. I have always wanted to get one that was "replantable". For now though, we are content with replanting another one in it's honor. :

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#78 of 85 Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM

largely because i am allergic to pines... but we love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
i loved our tree last year. it was a potted rosemary plant that was clipped to the shape of a christmas tree. it was about 2 1/2 feet tall, and i found miniature ornaments and lights to put on it, it was totally adorable. after the holidays we put it out on the patio so we had sprigs of fresh rosemary for months. and it smelled wonderful.

i don't like the cutting of beautiful live trees, and artificial trees concern me due to the materials (many of them have lead) and non-biodegradability.
#79 of 85 Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM

I'm sure others have mentioned it, but I like a real but not cut tree. Then we can plant it in the yard afterwards. We keep it on the porch until right before the holiday, bring it in for a few days, then back on the porch to acclimate, then transplant a few weeks later.
My parents did this with their first tree, and by the time I was old enough to ask, it was taller than the house. It took me a long time to be convinced that that giant tree had once been decorated inside the living room!

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#80 of 85 Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

For those who do a rosemary tree, do you leave it in the house undecorated for the rest of the year? Do you leave it in a pot and move it outside?

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#81 of 85 Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM

For me the only way to celebrate the holidays is with the fresh, pine smelling, beauty of a natual REAL tree. Good for farmers, good for recycling and the earth (as compost and mulch), toxin free, and something that won't take a bazillon years to biodegrate in our landfills! Can't beat that! Even if a fake tree last you 50 years it will always take much, MUCH longer to biodegrate than a 50 real tree.

-Rachel

#82 of 85 Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM

We have an artificial tree, mainly because it was a hand-me-down, and we don't want to throw it in the garbage. So we keep it. There's nothing wrong with it (except a few droopy limbs that need re-positioning throughout the season), so I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Maybe when it completely falls apart, we'll re-evaluate our tree issue.

I always had guilt about using real trees. Like I was murdering a living thing just so I could dress it up, stick it in my house for a few weeks, then throw it in the garbage. It felt wrong, somehow. But I'm just weird, I know.
#83 of 85 Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

I am allergic to real Christmas trees. Such to the point where I can not even go to someone's house if they have a real tree, because I get so sick.

We have a tiny little artifical tree instead. I think it is like, 2 feet maybe. I am not in to huge decorations so for now that suits me.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#84 of 85 Old 11-17-2007, 11:48 PM

fake.
real trees being throw on people's front yards for the heavy trash day on Jan 2nd make me so sad.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#85 of 85 Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM

We do a real one if we're having family over or will be home for the holidays, but put up a fake one if we'll be out of town or are really busy. It's a hand me down fake one at least and has lasted for a long time. As long as you aren't buying a new fake one every year, the waste factor seems relatively low. The real ones get picked up by the city and mulched. They're usually grown especially for use as christmas trees by tree farms, so it's not really wasteful or bad for the environment, right? And people will use the mulch.

If your city doesn't pick them up, check the paper for tree recycling drop off locations. I live in a big city though, so that may not be available in your area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page