Talk to me about generators -- standby or portable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After last winter's crazy windstorms up here, we're going through our emergency preparedness stuff and updating our water supply and all that stuff. We're also discussing getting a generator -- last winter people were out of power for 10 days or more in our area (though we were lucky and only lost one day of power). Now with 3 kids we're worried about that kind of thing happening again. We figure if we get a generator we can support all of us, and half our friends, if we have another bad storm (and maybe invoke Murphy's Law so it wont happen )

After doing some initial research, we're thinking of a standby one for the house rather than a portable, so we dont have to worry so much about keeping fuel (none of the gas stations worked when the power was out). But then we're worried about gas lines being disrupted in an earthquake -- we could still use it on propane, I think. But real-life experiences and advice would be appreciated.

Anybody have one or the other? How did you pick? Anything we should know that isnt obvious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kat, we live near Buffalo and had a terrible ice and snow event last year that knocked power out for a week in some places. We were lucky enough to purchase a generator the third day of the crisis. We have a sumpump and our basement was flooding. Ron and I bailed water for 12 hours while he got the generator. It is a very good portable one with 4 plugs. We hooked up our sump, the fridge and both neighbors sumps on either side. I'd love a standby if we could afford it or had planned ahead for it. I don't like keeping fueel, but most stations were working during the storm here.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page