LEAD in Melissa and doug toys! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd had high lead levels a year ago and we did eveything we could, even hired a lead inspector and he found nothing in our house.but her levels werent going down.
then from something i heard somewhere and just an odd gut feeling i got rid of all our MELISSA AND DOUG TOYS. that is the only thing i changed and removed from our home. we went back in and her lead level dropped to 3 she was in the clear!!! i thought maybe it was just a coincidence but then my friend's dd had high lead levels, she too only removed melissa and doug toys from her home and VOILA! lead levels dropped to the safe/normal range.
NOW, a diferent friend of mine went to her local tv station b/c they had an expensive lead testing machine and she brought a few toys including MELISSA AND DOUG and what do you know- trace amounts of lead were found!
now knowing it's not just a coincidence I felt like I should let everyone know!!!

ETA:
my friend runs a local oy store and melisa and doug ere trying to get her to carry their toys. she questioned them aboutthe safety of their paint and all they said was "we've had no compliants"
also i called and e-mailed them at least 20 times and they neevr once got back to me

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#2 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM

: Some of ds' favorite toys are M&D and he had borderline high lead levels at his 1 year appointment. We, too, had no idea where that could be coming from. I am having him retested at a checkup in a few weeks. Thanks for the heads-up. I know home tests can be unreliable but we are going to get one right away and check up all of his toys anyway. Did you have a lot of M&D toys? Do you remember any of the ones that you tossed? I am sure that it can vary but maybe if we have some of the same ones I can keep an extra close eye on those. We have the Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy, the My First Vehicles truck, car and airplane, the Pound & Roll Ball Toy, the My First Animals magnetic book and the Rainbow Stacker stacking ring.

I had a bad feeling about M&D but I shook it off anyway because I thought I was being too difficult by expressing our preference for wooden toys and then turning my nose up at the ones that are widely available and affordable.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#3 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

i know what you mean mama
the store bought lead tests never found lead in my m&d toys but maybe that's b/c the lead is underneath?
we had a decent amount of melissa and doug toys, a lot of them chipping i can't rememebr them all off hand i do remember an abacus,shape sorter/stacker,jacobs ladder...

#4 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Crap! My TRU just started carring these! I was so excited to send everyone there for easy Christmas shopping for the kids

What now???

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#5 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

i dunno we stopped buying toys MIC and only stick with the natural unpainetd wooden ones like from www.threesisters.com

#6 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Did the tv station do an expose? I'd love to see someone publish results...

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#7 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

hmm i dunno actually.. lemme ask her she's in another state.

#8 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM

This is a great blog that has a lot of info about toys:

http://saras-toy-box.blogspot.com/

If you scroll down on the front page she talks about Melissa & Doug toys and also Plan Toys. We have some Plan Toys that are similar in price to the M&D but I think a much higher quality. The "paint" is actually a thin dye that doesn't flake off like the M&D paint does. You can see the wood grain through the paint and they are more attractive and seem to hold up better.

I think that I am going to be cautious going forward about the M&D, not buying it for ourselves and taking the precaution that she mentions in her blog of not keeping any M&D that is going to be mouthed. After this thread I am highly suspicious of our M&D ring stacker which was chewed on quite a bit by ds and ended up with flaking paint, especially on the red ring. I got rid of it a long time ago but I wonder if it was a contributor to his lead levels.

I'm so anxious to see what ds' levels look like right now.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#9 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Did the tv station do an expose? I'd love to see someone publish results...
The news station said they hope to have the full list of what came back safe & unsafe on the web within the week.

the website is: http://www.wbns10tv.com/

thank you for that blog!!

#10 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks, I can't wait to see the results!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#11 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM

That does not surprise me. Melissa and Doug toys are cheaper than their competition equivalents and some are Made in China, if not all.
You can not trust anything made in China PERIOD. I would even go so far as to not buy any toys out of Asia as a whole.
Our desires as a nation for CHEAP, is Killing our Children SLOWLY.
#12 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So is plastic safer than wood with lead paint?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#13 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMariposa View Post
That does not surprise me. Melissa and Doug toys are cheaper than their competition equivalents and some are Made in China, if not all.
You can not trust anything made in China PERIOD. I would even go so far as to not buy any toys out of Asia as a whole.

So how do you propose to never buy anything made in China? This would include, you realize- teas, paints used on toys and other things, etc etc etc.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#14 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM

I am freaking out right now! I am a m/d retailer. I researched them and questioned them point blank about lead and they guarantee their products are safe. My aunt actually did get a reply from them when she emailed them about it and they told her the same thing. ya da ya da about outside inspectors, non-toxic dyes/paints. my local AP moms group are my best customers. So now I am dealing with this anxiety that I am poisoning their kids?

How do I go about getting my kids tested? About 75% of our toys are m/d. I already went through out toys and threw quite a bit away due to the recalls.

Seriously, I am freaking out! I have a sudden knot in my stomach just thinking about this.
#15 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yep we only buy made in usa, germany and canada stuff. any m&d we had was gifts.

#16 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmom View Post
I am freaking out right now! I am a m/d retailer. I researched them and questioned them point blank about lead and they guarantee their products are safe. My aunt actually did get a reply from them when she emailed them about it and they told her the same thing. ya da ya da about outside inspectors, non-toxic dyes/paints. my local AP moms group are my best customers. So now I am dealing with this anxiety that I am poisoning their kids?

How do I go about getting my kids tested? About 75% of our toys are m/d. I already went through out toys and threw quite a bit away due to the recalls.

Seriously, I am freaking out! I have a sudden knot in my stomach just thinking about this.

my dd was tested at her 1 year check up it was a routine thing.

#17 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
So how do you propose to never buy anything made in China? This would include, you realize- teas, paints used on toys and other things, etc etc etc.
We are a China Free Home. So, yes, I realize exactly what that means.
#18 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmom View Post

Same here. I feel sick. I just called our Pedi and he will be writing a script for the boys to get tested for lead.
#19 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
We are a China Free Home. So, yes, I realize exactly what that means.
I would love to get a list of places you shop and such. So many things are from China.
#20 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I would love to get a list of places you shop and such. So many things are from China.
exactly. How can you be sure that ingredients and paints and such are not manufactured in china?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#21 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:32 PM

That is too bad. A year ago I bought the pull stacking zoo and I was really disappointed how easily the paint chipped off the corners. There are so many other companies that are much better quality than M&D. I haven't bought M&D in over a year and don't plan on ever doing it again. My two favorite wooden toys companies are Plan Toys and Haba.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#22 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ugh! How horrible. We don't have a lot of Melissa and Doug, but I have been disturbed by the paint chipping off the stuff we do have.
#23 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
exactly. How can you be sure that ingredients and paints and such are not manufactured in china?
And books? Most books are manufactured in China from what I understand.
#24 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 PM

This is so irritating to me.
All my boys play food is melissa and doug becuase I didn't want to do plastic...because of lead actually. I've called the company because of paint chips and my sons of course putting play food in their mouths and they assured me it was safe.
I can't afford to replace everything. I guess we need a lead test given that we had recalled trains too. Sheesh this makes me sick.
Books bother me too. Side note though. I had a book eater. He ate books because he was iron deficient. Iron deficient and lead go together. When I saw that the books he was eating were from China and we were having trouble getting his iron up we had a lead draw. He was normal lead wise. That part is reassuring to me. Though that test was a while back. So I'll probably ask them to re-test him next time he has a metabolic blood draw.
His twin was only tested at 12 months though and has done way more chewing on toys over his life. So I'll see if his ped. will order a draw.
This makes me incredibly mad.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#25 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
yep we only buy made in usa, germany and canada stuff.
How did you decide on these three countries? Why not some of the others that seem "safe" ?
#26 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
NOW, a diferent friend of mine went to her local tv station b/c they had an expensive lead testing machine and she brought a few toys including MELISSA AND DOUG and what do you know- trace amounts of lead were found!
Geez... I thought these were safe considering they claim their products are all lead free, so much for that I guess.
#27 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
Geez... I thought these were safe considering they claim their products are all lead free, so much for that I guess.
I have no idea about this...but I'm wondering if not all companies claim their products to be lead free....
#28 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Not to scare y'all but as I'm dealing with my DS high metal, including lead, levels, you should know that the standard blood test that pediatricians prescribe isn't really enough to determine whether your kids are in the "safe" range. Our metabolic doctor told us that lead only lives in the bloodstream for a short time and then moves to cells and such. Since DS blood test was well within the "safe" range, she had DS take an intensive urine test where he had to take a chelating agent and then we collected his urine for a six hour period and then sent a cross section of it to a lab. Turns out he's got *high* lead levels but the lead had been in his system for so long it was undetectible in the blood test. And, honestly, I recommend testing for all heavy metals, not just lead. My son tested high for mercury and arsenic as well. The test was only $99 if you paid up front and it was WELL worth it.

Unfortunately, it's likely that we're just at the tip of the iceberg. I'm freaking out about my DS M&D floor puzzles. Fortunately, they don't peel and he doesn't put them in his mouth but his hands touch the pieces a ton and then he touches himself, his mouth, his nose, etc. Does anyone know about the puzzles or is all the info available just about the wood toys?
#29 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM

I just e-mailed them not long ago too and asked if they were having lead issues. Of course they said no. So disappointing, as my mom was going to buy a bunch of M&D toys for our son...I'll have to tell her this evening not to get any of those now.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#30 of 122 Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyErin View Post
Not to scare y'all but as I'm dealing with my DS high metal, including lead, levels, you should know that the standard blood test that pediatricians prescribe isn't really enough to determine whether your kids are in the "safe" range. Our metabolic doctor told us that lead only lives in the bloodstream for a short time and then moves to cells and such. Since DS blood test was well within the "safe" range, she had DS take an intensive urine test where he had to take a chelating agent and then we collected his urine for a six hour period and then sent a cross section of it to a lab. Turns out he's got *high* lead levels but the lead had been in his system for so long it was undetectible in the blood test. And, honestly, I recommend testing for all heavy metals, not just lead. My son tested high for mercury and arsenic as well. The test was only $99 if you paid up front and it was WELL worth it.
An actual metabolic specialist (medical doctor) ordered a chelation test for metals?
What metabolic condition does your son have?
I'm really confused here. Chelation in any form would I think be dangerous for many kids with metabolic conditions.

I'm saying this as a parent of a child with a metabolic condition whose had every metabolic test imaginable I think and I've read a gazillion medical journals on metabolic conditions and I've never seen chelation and looking for metals mentioned. Nor have I ever seen this for lead testing from a traditional medical approach. I am not saying the doctor you saw isn't right for your child. I'm just really curious about a metabolic doctor ordering this type of testing and for what metabolic condition?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Toys , Melissa And Doug

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page