the 'green' dilema: fake or real tree - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, it's that time of season again! Which to use...a real tree...a fake tree...no tree... we have an almost 35 year old fake tree that has been in the family (and looks like it's about dead) and who knows what it was made out of (like, is there lead in the paint?!?!? fire proofing chemicals? and about 35 years of dust!) so I'm thinking this year we upgrade...but to what? Last year "santa" left two small evergreens that we decorated outside and then planted...and they died (the tags didn't mention that the trees were not for outdoor use, only indoor..) so santa didn't do it right last year...and DH wants to get a new fake tree, but I'm not sure if that's really all that 'green'...then again, chopping down a live tree isn't 'green' either! But to do without is not something that DH wants for the DC...sooooo....what to do?

anyone found maybe a fake tree that is made from recycled materials? something that isn't toxic? or is a live tree farm ok to use??? I'm not sure what to do, and times a tickin'!!!
#2 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM

After reading that a lot of fake trees make shed lead, I'm getting a real one this year!

But! I know you buy USA made lead free trees online. But they are pricey and I don't have the monies.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#3 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM

There was just a thing on CNN recently about faux wreaths having lead in the paint. No way would I buy another fake tree knowing that!

Besides, any fake tree you buy is bound to wind up in a landfill eventually. So it's greener to buy from a tree farm, where they replenish what is cut down each year, or to buy a live tree and then plant it. Live trees need a lot of special care though, so we just go the tree farm route.
#4 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

buy a rosemary tree then plant it outside after the holidays.

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#5 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

While we personally have a fake tree (got it off ebay, DD & I both have allergies & asthma w/the real ones) recent articles have suggested that real trees are much "greener".

They produce oxygen, they are grown specifically for that purpose (unless you're taking them from the woods), they aren't made of harmful chemicals. The *best* solution, IMO, would be to get a real tree w/the root ball still attached and plant it after using it, but it might be hard to do so.

#6 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

in canada anyway you can buy real trees at the grocery store and they all come from christmas tree farms.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#7 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Hey, prettypixels! I'm in Wheeling. Just noticed you were in Morgantown.

Totally OT, sorry.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#8 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM

We do real trees.

Manufacturing fake trees is pretty toxic, and we get our trees from tree farms, where they replant. Heck, if they're successful, they plant MORE trees!

I think it balances out in favor of green, using a real tree. It lives in the earth for a time, taking in carbon dioxide and emitting oxygen. After the holidays, we compost and/or burn it, so it either feeds the earth, or creates a small carbon load, which isn't great but keeps us warm and cooks us some food. If we got a fake tree, we'd only be taking from the earth, with no giving back. No new trees planted, no oxygen created, definitely some pollution made. . . .
#9 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM

I'd go real, if I didn't get bad allergies from the pine.
#10 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:15 PM

i've been reading up on this recently. there is no "green" fake tree, as far as i can tell. i found one online that was "mostly" pvc (and lead) free, except for a small portion, and it was only $705.00.

there is no way i would cut down a real tree for it to decompose in my home.

for the last two years we've gotten potted trees. i guess we are doing that again this year. i really wanted to talk myself into getting a big real tree but i really just don't think it's ok.
#11 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM

If you're not allergic, I would definitely buy real. The greenest option would buy a tree with a root ball in burlap, and then plant it, but you can only bring them inside for a short time, and they might not make it anyway. If you don't want that trouble, buy a cut tree. The state I live in (NC) is one of the largest producers of xmas trees, and it is generally a small family farm type of industry. People in western NC plan trees as a retirement investment.. when the trees mature, they cut and sell. Most farms continually replant, so even though we're taking a lot of trees down, new ones are constantly replanted. And when you're finished with your tree, you can lay it bare in your yard as a habitat for small animals and birds, or have it ground into mulch.
#12 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've never understood why people think having a real tree isn't environmentally friendly. It's not as if they go and chop the trees down from old-growth forests - they grow them on farms. In rows. Like carrots. Or roses. So, if you think buying veggies and flowers is bad, then I guess it makes sense. Otherwise, I don't get it.

And I LOOOVE the smell of a real tree. If I had to get a fake one, it would have to be one of those ridiculous fiber optic trees or something, so I wouldn't feel cheated.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#13 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 PM

We always get a real tree, I love the smell of it and we enjoy picking it out every year!
#14 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
I've never understood why people think having a real tree isn't environmentally friendly.
OT...
I think it's just like anything - we've been born into this "gotta have it, buy buy buy, natural is bad, money is good, chemicals are great" environment that we have to really go against the tide and think for ourselves (after much reading, research and deliberation) so that we can find that the old natural ways of doing things were in fact the BEST way...but who would make money if we did things the old fashioned back to basics way?!?!?!....like my Mother said, "Breastfeeding would be popular and everyone would do it if someone could find a way to make tons of money by breastfeeding...until then, formula makes megga bucks for lots of people..."
#15 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, it's not such a dilemma after all! I'm going for a real tree...I just grew up with the fake that I never thought to go the other way...I'll give our old one to someone who wants it and well do the farm thing...:
#16 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:36 PM

We'll get a real tree. Fortunately, our city collects Christmas trees after the holidays and they are recycled into (very inexpensive) mulch for purchase by residents!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#17 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 PM

We do a real tree and then give it back to the earth and animals outside by putting bird food "ornaments" on it until it gets weather beaten and broken. Then we break it up a bit and put it in the yard waste bin outside.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#18 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 PM

When I was little we used to go and grab and already dead tree, or big large branch. We would decorate it, and painted or do whatever. I think it was a good idea, but we have a fake now. Probably when the lo is older we get to do the branch decoration again.
#19 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
We do a real tree and then give it back to the earth and animals outside by putting bird food "ornaments" on it until it gets weather beaten and broken. Then we break it up a bit and put it in the yard waste bin outside.
I love that idea!
#20 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Never even thought about all the chemicals and other bad stuff in fake trees.
Just never considered buying one.

We've always been a real tree family. Love the smell. It's already been cut down, from a farm that supports a family business, so we buy it and enjoy it. Then we put it at the edge of the yard and the kids decorate it with popcorn/cranberry strings for the birds and other animals. They also dip pinecones in peanut butter and roll them in bird seed. At the very end, when it's all orange and icky, we throw it deep into the woods.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#21 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
Fortunately, our city collects Christmas trees after the holidays and they are recycled into (very inexpensive) mulch for purchase by residents!

Ours too!
The transfer station lets you drop the tree off for free - even if you don't have a dump sticker.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#22 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM

We do real. We are supporting a family owned business (we know the growers and the families that do the sales), we have looked into their farming practices and trust them, and the trees are turned into mulch by our city to be used in the parks.

I can't see the advantage of a fake tree from an environmental standpoint. The only upside for us would be the fake ones would be cheaper long term, but it's not worth a houseful of plastic.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#23 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy444 View Post
Ours too!
The transfer station lets you drop the tree off for free - even if you don't have a dump sticker.
We are even lazier...all we have to do is drag the tree out to the street, and the city picks it up on a day that they designate. Easy peasy!!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#24 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM

We like the plant-able ones. We buy smaller trees, but they look really nice in our yard. And they'll grow with our family. The one we got this year is about 4-5 feet tall and cost $40.
Betsy

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08
#25 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Real tree here. We will be planting it after the holiday so I can finally get my son's placenta into the ground. He will be 3 right after Christmas. I can't imagine what it is going to look like. Anyone see a freezer burnt placenta before?

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#26 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post
We'll get a real tree. Fortunately, our city collects Christmas trees after the holidays and they are recycled into (very inexpensive) mulch for purchase by residents!
Our city does this, too. It's great!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#27 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Our city recycles them too! We'll get a real one. I love the smell of fresh pine, especially during the holiday season. Growing up we would usually get a fresh, living pine, and then plant it after Christmas. Those trees are sooo tall now and I take a peak at them whenever I go to my parent's. I always think, where has the time gone?? It's nice now too, that Ds delights in picking out "the best".

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#28 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM

While I love real trees and we always get one, in spite of the shedding needles, it just struck me yesterday that our kitten, who is just hitting the age at which he's in hyper teen wilding mode, will think that we've put up a tree just for him to ambush, attack, climb on, bat down the ornaments and who knows what else. I'm not kidding, the other day I came home to find that he had unrolled the entire roll of toilet paper on to the floor.

So I think we're looking at maybe a table-top tree, perhaps fake, or a wreath for the front door.
#29 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM

I just read in a magazine that you can go here and find an organic tree farm in your area. That means you wont have a pesticide-laden tree in your house. (unfortunately we got our tree before reading this). And then you can go here to find out where to take it in your area to get it turned into wood chips or mulch if your city doesn't do it.

I agree that real trees are the greener option. They come from farms and they are grown just to be cut down. While they are alive they help the environment, and they can be recycled very easily. Fake trees release chemicals into your home, and can not be recycled at all. They will just fill up a landfill one day.
#30 of 80 Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a fake tree.: It was handed down to us from my mother. It should last us a long time. I hate real trees because the needles get everywhere. I like the idea of them but not the mess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page