electric or stove top tea kettle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made tea for a very granola friend of mine the other day and it just dawned on me that the electric tea kettle I use is plastic ! And we all know it's not good to drink from heated up plastic. So now I'm trying to decide what kind of kettle to get to replace it. I saw this one at WalMart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2593965. It's all metal, no plastic except for on the lid and the heating element that doesn't touch the water. It says it has a " powerful 1500-watt rapid-boil capability" and I'm wondering if I would use considerably more or less energy than by using a traditional stove top kettle. What do you ladies think and recommend? I drink tea maybe 3x/week.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#2 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 AM

i personally like electric for everyday use and stove top for back up (we have a gas stove so if the power went out i can still boil water)
#3 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 AM

What is the advantage to a separate tea kettle? I am making tea about 5 times a day and have never even heard of a non-stove-top tea kettle. I have a spacious kitchen with plenty of storage but cannot see any reason to take up real estate with something that could just live on the stove....
#4 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel the same way as Yooper. Why buy another appliance when you already have a stove that gets hot? I have a neato kettle from TJ Maxx years ago.. flat bottom for my glasstop stove and cool styled lines... I think it's a hot chocolate kettle, but I use it for tea water. Before I had that I boiled water in a pot. I don't have space or desire for an appliance whose sole purpose is to boil water.
#5 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 01:54 PM

I love my electric tea kettles. We got them for our wedding. It takes so much less time than a stove-top one. I keep one in my office and one in the kitchen.

I'm also anticipating that they will be helpful with keeping the birthing water warm.
#6 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 PM

I have both, I had the same thought about the birth tub (which was upstairs, far away from the stove) so we bought an electric one when I was pregnant. At the time we had an electric stove which took forever to boil water. We've since moved, have a gas stove, and were gifted a pretty blue kettle so we haven't used the electric one in 6 mos. I'm just not in that much of a hurry!
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm posting from England where tea is the norm-- I moved into my apartment in Aug. and have been boiling water in a pan on the stove much to the dismay of friends--- I didn't want to buy a cheap plastic kettle as I hate plastic/ not good for you etc etc...saw no problem w/ pan on stove...didn't want to fork out £20 for a nice metal electric one

however last week the lady in the flat below got a new kettle as part of a set (w/ toaster) and offered me her old one...

I LOVE it...it's so much faster...how did I live w/out it?!

Zoe, momma to Thomas 1-06
#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
What is the advantage to a separate tea kettle? I am making tea about 5 times a day and have never even heard of a non-stove-top tea kettle. I have a spacious kitchen with plenty of storage but cannot see any reason to take up real estate with something that could just live on the stove....
i hate things living on my stove and turning the gas on all the time. i prefer ficking an eletrical swtich
#9 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just heat up water in a pryex beaker in the microwave. I use to go to a major university that would sell them for next to nothing.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 15 Old 12-02-2007, 09:37 PM

I love my stainless electric kettle!! I use it many times a day. I also like to use it in Summertime to preboil water for pasta, etc. That way, I don't heat up the kitchen by having a gas burner going full blast. We try to use our A/C as little as possible. I've also used it to heat up baths when we are ill. Our hot water heater is not the greatest, so it's nice to be able to quickly boil water to warm up the tub. I also love that it automatically shuts off, so I don't have to worry about boiling water away and scorching the kettle/pan. Oh, how I love my kettle! :

so many roads to ease my soul...

#11 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Back when I lived in the US I'd never heard of an electric kettle but since living in Australia I've come to conclude they are a MUST have! I make at least half a dozen cups of tea a day between me & hubby and it boils in less than 2minutes where as our stove would take aaaaaages (although when our last kettled died it worked in a pinch I'm sure it must use less electricity than a stove but don't have any hard #s to back that up :

I have a cordless brushed stainless one like the OP mentioned (plastic base it plugs into it what plugs into the wall) and it looks good so I don't mind it sitting on the prime kitchen real estate.. especially since it's my best friend :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 01:42 PM

My electric kettle rocks my world!
It's the one appliance I would never give up regardless of space.
I can't think of anything else to add.
#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM

: Wanna come over for a cuppa Erin? Just boiled the kettle (ok.. in my house the kettle is almost always 'just boiled' hehehe)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 PM

If you only make tea 3x a week, just use a pan on the stove or a stove top kettle. I make tea multiple times a day, and use a Japanese-made electric kettle. It's always on and, as long as you remember to refill it, it always has hot water.

http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts...ctricpots.html

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 PM

I used to LOVE heating up water in the stove in a tea kettle...the ritual of it. And then I discovered electric. Oooooohhhh so much faster! I could not live without my Hamilton Beach stainless steel kettle. I found mine at Target. I've even been known to take it to people's houses when I'm there for the weekend.
The speed is my main concern...I can heat a couple cups of tea in 2 minutes or less. Now that's fast! Very little electricity used...

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page