Odd request from landlord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a largish apartment building with about 32 apartments. A notice was just put up saying that during the winter months we *have* to keep our windows closed and all our heaters at MIN 20C. (I guess that's 68F).

For some reason this just bothers me. What if I'm hot? What if I want fresh air? DH smokes : so sometimes I open our balcony door to air out. Also, I never have the heater on in our bedroom because 1) our bed is in front of it and 2) it dries the air so it's hard on the throat when sleeping.

We have electric heaters.

What's the deal with this? Can you think of any possible explanation? I'd just ask the LL but they're impossible to reach. It's the first time it was ever mentioned and this is my 5th winter here. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 PM

Do they pay for the heating or do you?

I think it is a weird request either way but if they pay then they are probably just trying save some money. Or maybe they are worried about freezing pipes?

Like I said, I think it is weird and really makes no sense to me!:
#3 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

We pay for our own heat. I can understand the issue of freezing pipes, but the situation would have to be quite severe for that to happen. I can go for a long time without turning my heat on because the building insulates us and we're sheltered from the wind...
#4 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe they had a problem last year w/ one unit and pipes breaking or something so they felt the need to make rules?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Maybe they are trying to save costs on some units that they do pay the heating for? Because if the entire building is being kept warm then they can turn the thermostat down on the units that are vacant/they pay for?

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#6 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM

I meant to say, if it were me I would disregard it! (I don't rent though)

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#7 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM

When I was a kid, we lived in an apartment complex for a while, and the woman upstairs would turn her heat down. The insulation between upstairs and downstairs units wasn't great. Our heat would rise up into her apartment, and we'd be cold, but paying for heat she was enjoying.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#8 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM

i would ignore the request unless you are personally approached by the landlord and then, in that case, you could discuss the issues

::
#9 of 84 Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 PM

My guess is they are telling you "the rules" so if a pipe freezes later they can blame you.
#10 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
Maybe they are trying to save costs on some units that they do pay the heating for? Because if the entire building is being kept warm then they can turn the thermostat down on the units that are vacant/they pay for?
That could be it. There are a bunch of empty apartments this year. Hmmm.
#11 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
My guess is they are telling you "the rules" so if a pipe freezes later they can blame you.
Probably that too.

This building is owned by a cheap, unethical, UAV of a company.

I'm going to ignore it.
#12 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 AM

ours has us do similar, no rule on windows though. But ours say its because of the pipes freezing, and after seeing upstairs's pipes burst last year, i do it willingly.
#13 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 PM

I don't think this is an odd request especially if the landlord pays for heating. With the price of oil (assuming it's oil powered) it's probaly better the tenants watch their use of heat, versus a higher rent to compensate for heat prices.
#14 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper View Post
I don't think this is an odd request especially if the landlord pays for heating. With the price of oil (assuming it's oil powered) it's probaly better the tenants watch their use of heat, versus a higher rent to compensate for heat prices.
The LL is asknig them to keep it at 68 MIN, which means don't let it get colder than 68F. Basically if 68 is too hot for you, too bad....and the tenants pay for their own heat.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#15 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
The LL is asknig them to keep it at 68 MIN, which means don't let it get colder than 68F. Basically if 68 is too hot for you, too bad....and the tenants pay for their own heat.

And they are hydro-electric baseboard heaters.
#16 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Huh? He's telling you that you have to spend $$$ keeping your apartment unreasonably hot? I don't think so. He can pay to keep the heat on in the unoccupied apartments or he can offer to subsidize your energy bills.
#17 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM

ummm, 68f is unreasonably hot?

it's pipes. frozenpipes destroy everything, b/c they burst. bad mess.

als, though, i would guess *you* aren't who this is aimed at. the tenant who opens windows and cranks theheat to 85 might be.
#18 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Heck, I don't think it's unreasonably hot. I'd love to skip through life at 68 degrees! But we can't afford the heating oil so we bundle up.

If I were renting and paying for my own utilities, I would be pretty pissed if my landlord told me that I HAD to keep my heat at 68 or higher. The usual standard minimum temp to keep pipes from freezing with a buffer zone for power outages is 50. Lots of people here keep their houses at 40 if they go away for the winter, but plumbers recommend 50 just in case. It sounds like this guy wants the tenants to pay to keep the unrented apartments warm.
#19 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Its a common practice rule at alot of apartment complexes to ask them to be at 68 min. If you have it lower, and a pipe does happen to burst or just freeze, they can refuse to pay for the repairs and foot you with the bill, if you have renters insurance, they can refuse to pay out since you went against the complexes requests and warning.

if your apt is very insulated and you dont need to run the heat that much anyway, i dont see the problem. Ours is very insulated, and we have our heat set at 72, it kicks on maybe once a day if that. and if we had it set at 68 it would only kick on if the weather suddenly dropped fast.
#20 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
oops read that wrong, that does make it unusual and unreasonable to me then, especially if the tenants pay for the heat!
#21 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperdove View Post
ummm, 68f is unreasonably hot?
I think it is! I keep my heat at 60 degrees, MAYBE 62, and if DH raises it AT ALL, I sweat my butt off.
#22 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I think it is! I keep my heat at 60 degrees, MAYBE 62, and if DH raises it AT ALL, I sweat my butt off.
It obviously does not get as cold where you live as it does here! Setting the heat to 60 (which is 15 Celsius) would be MIGHTY cold inside a house in the middle of winter!! Our low tonight is -25 C (so -13F) and during the day tomorrow it's supposed to be something like -38 C with the windchill (-36.5 F).

So, in general, in Canada, keeping the thermostat at 20 C is NOT unreasonable. But it would depend on where the OP lives. Also, do they mean keep the temp in your house at 20? or keep your thermostat set to 20? When I lived in an apartment, they kept the hallway so darn hot, that if you kept your thermostat at 20, your apartment was more like 25, you were sweating buckets. You had to set it to around 14 if you wanted to keep the temp at 20.

ETA: forgot to say though, they really should have stated their reasoning. My guess is frozen baseboard heaters. People leave their windows open, forget them open when they leave, and come back to frozen heaters or the pipe has burst in the heater. I'd suspect that opening your window every now and then for fresh air is going to be just fine. They are just giving a blanket "no open windows" warning for the forgetful or unknowing people. I'd also think that if 20 is a little toasty for you and you prefer, let's say 19, that it wouldn't be an issue.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#23 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
It obviously does not get as cold where you live as it does here! Setting the heat to 60 (which is 15 Celsius) would be MIGHTY cold inside a house in the middle of winter!! Our low tonight is -25 C (so -13F) and during the day tomorrow it's supposed to be something like -38 C with the windchill (-36.5 F).

So, in general, in Canada, keeping the thermostat at 20 C is NOT unreasonable. But it would depend on where the OP lives. Also, do they mean keep the temp in your house at 20? or keep your thermostat set to 20? When I lived in an apartment, they kept the hallway so darn hot, that if you kept your thermostat at 20, your apartment was more like 25, you were sweating buckets. You had to set it to around 14 if you wanted to keep the temp at 20.
Well, I live in NH and grew up in northern VT about 5 seconds from the border of Canada. I think it has more to do with personal preference.
#24 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
Well, I live in NH and grew up in northern VT about 5 seconds from the border of Canada. I think it has more to do with personal preference.
Different areas of Canada have different temps. The Canadian prairies are insanely cold, very different from what the weather in Ontario and Quebec is like (I think you were close to there?). I have never known anyone living in the prairies to keep their thermostat set to 15 for daily use in the winter.

#25 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Different areas of Canada have different temps. The Canadian prairies are insanely cold, very different from what the weather in Ontario and Quebec is like I think you were close to there?). I have never known anyone living in the prairies to keep their thermostat set to 15 for daily use in the winter.
Thermostat setting has little to do with outside temp.

I mean, it *does* obviously. But setting it at 60F/15c is the same deal *inside* the house whether it is -40/-40 outside or much warmer. It just means that inside the house the furnace will work to maintain 15C degrees - or as close to that as possible. the outside temp is irrelevant, except that it determines how fast the house will cool and how often the furnace has to fire.

I grew up in upper MI, I live in upper NY, and I know people from Alberta and even Alaska. Many of them turn their heat down to 60/15 overnight in the winter, and many turn it that low when they leave the house all day.

As long as the thermostat is working properly, leaving it at 15 just means the inside of the house will be 15 when you come back. Your pipes won't freeze. Unless they all run up the outside wall of your house hundreds of feet from the nearest heating vent.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#26 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 PM

It will vary by where you live, but in Ontario, he can't tell you to do that.

There is a law here that a landlord must heat his units at least 20 degrees, but that is if the landlord is controlling/paying the heat and to prevent slum lords from freezing people out. If you pay/control your heat then he can't tell you what to do. He also can't tell you not to open your windows.

The hottest we set our thermostat is 17. 20 or more makes me die of sweat.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#27 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Thermostat setting has little to do with outside temp.

I mean, it *does* obviously. But setting it at 60F/15c is the same deal *inside* the house whether it is -40/-40 outside or much warmer. It just means that inside the house the furnace will work to maintain 15C degrees - or as close to that as possible. the outside temp is irrelevant, except that it determines how fast the house will cool and how often the furnace has to fire.

I grew up in upper MI, I live in upper NY, and I know people from Alberta and even Alaska. Many of them turn their heat down to 60/15 overnight in the winter, and many turn it that low when they leave the house all day.

As long as the thermostat is working properly, leaving it at 15 just means the inside of the house will be 15 when you come back. Your pipes won't freeze. Unless they all run up the outside wall of your house hundreds of feet from the nearest heating vent.
I did say 15 for "daily use" which was to imply when you were actually inside your home and awake. Your temperature while you are away at work, doesn't affect you (unless you set it so low that you freeze your pipes). Your temp at night is also different, everyone I know sets it lower at night so they don't boil. Also, I don't recall saying that your pipes would freeze if you set your thermostat to 15?

No matter though, your temp inside your house is PERCEIVED differently, depending on the outside temp. 15 inside a house in the summer does NOT feel the same as 15 inside the house in the winter when it is -40 outside. Plus, it also depends on the insulation in your house. If your house is letting out a ton of heat, you often have to keep it warmer.

So, outside temp is relevant to your inside temp due to how temperature is perceived. It might also have to do with how drastic the temperature changes are in some places. We had 10 C one day and the next was -25 C, shocking when you step outside and didn't check the weather first.

#28 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ETA: forgot to say though, they really should have stated their reasoning. My guess is frozen baseboard heaters. People leave their windows open, forget them open when they leave, and come back to frozen heaters or the pipe has burst in the heater. I'd suspect that opening your window every now and then for fresh air is going to be just fine. They are just giving a blanket "no open windows" warning for the forgetful or unknowing people. I'd also think that if 20 is a little toasty for you and you prefer, let's say 19, that it wouldn't be an issue.
There are no pipes in the heater... it's not heated with hot water, it heats with elements. Here's an example of an electric baseboard heater. The kitchen/bathroom pipes are ALL located towards the middle of the building. There aren't ANY in the outside walls... or within 10 feet of the outside walls.

It just bugs me because it's ONE more way that they are telling us how to live. Rules upon rules. I can't wait to get out of this apartment and buy a house.

ETA: I don't know if others are familiar with electric heat, but when the temp goes below the thermostat setting, the heater comes on to make it warmer (duh) But if you have it at a higher setting, it comes on more often and it's a lot of DRY heat. It's not the only factor, but already my skin is super dry this winter. Also when you're breathing in the dry air at night while you're sleeping it can give you a sore throat. Therefore, I prefer to keep the heat at a lower setting so it's not coming on as often.
#29 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
The hottest we set our thermostat is 17. 20 or more makes me die of sweat.
See, depends where you live. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are crazy cold, and I've never personally known anyone to keep their thermostat that low in winter (when they are home and awake). I guess they could exist though.

Maybe we need a poll of what province people live in and what they set their thermostat to when they are home.

#30 of 84 Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM

60 degrees??????? I die of cold if our house is less than 78, I prefer 80 for comfort (and that is with a sweater/socks/slippers on).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page