Are thermal curtains worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do they really work to help keep heat in and cold air out? And where is the best place to get them, money-wise?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I prefer honey comb blinds - they also make ones that slide (for sliding door) - I think I got mine at American Blinds and Wallpaper (website). We've also had thermal curtains - made a huge difference in heat conservation.

still learning
Old 12-09-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! I will look those up as well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaShark View Post
I prefer honey comb blinds - they also make ones that slide (for sliding door) - I think I got mine at American Blinds and Wallpaper (website). We've also had thermal curtains - made a huge difference in heat conservation.
I second this. We have them on our windows and even before we had our windows upgraded from 1970s single ones to our new ones you could feel a difference on the windows that had the blinds and the 4 windows that didnot.
HTH

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 PM

I made my own "thermal curtain" for a doorway out of 2 pieces of muslin and 2 pieces of cotton batting. It's rather plain looking, but it was nice and cheap. It works great at blocking the wind and cold air drafts from the back room from penetrating the rest of the house.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-10-2007, 12:37 AM

I got ours at jcpenney when they were having a sale. I didn't get them for keeping heat in though, they keep a lot of light out. I did notice that in the summer our bedroom is cooler.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM

I made my own. I put black trash bags over the south facing windows (to conserve solar heat) and on all windows including those I put heavy blankets I got at the goodwill (for like 3 bucks each). I just tacked them up on the windows so they can be used as blankets in the summer. The house is much warmer this year!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:20 PM

I don't know about thermal curtains, but we put up shiny insulated stuff in our windows this past summer and didn't need the air conditioner
Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM

good question! I'm feeling a draft from our old sucky windows as we speak. We need to do *something*!

Would thermal curtains be better/worse than the plastic sheets they have that you stick to the window frame (the kind you blowdry tight)?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
good question! I'm feeling a draft from our old sucky windows as we speak. We need to do *something*!

Would thermal curtains be better/worse than the plastic sheets they have that you stick to the window frame (the kind you blowdry tight)?
Well, I prefer having thick curtains up because you can still open them (and the window) if you want fresh air. We also have cats and they would scratch holes in plastic.

User Tag List