Wrap-N-Mat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried to make their own Wrap-N-Mat?

They don't look very difficult to sew, but I wonder if there is something I just don't see.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that you can take fabric and soak it in (or brush on) Linseed oil and that will preserve the fabric so you can reuse for sandwiches; however, I have googled that idea and can't find any info on it - maybe it was a dream...

Anyone have any info on this?
#2 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 PM

I was just going to post about this. I am trying to do the same thing. I read about making oilcloth on this website: www.moscowfood.coop/archive/oilcloth.html

But, I can't seem to find linseed oil, or at least what I have read about it is confusing. Some sites say it is the same as flaxseed oil but I thought flaxseed oil becomes rancid if you don't refrigerate it. Other talk about linseed oil in paints and such but it doesn't seem like that's something I want near my food.

So, I'm really no help but anxious to read anyone else's experience
#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Subbing..
#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 PM

I have been experimenting with them and they all have turned out great except me sewing the velcro on the inside rather than the out, I have not put any oils or anything on them. I just wash them and hang them to dry maybe once a week...
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 AM

You can buy real oil cloth here: http://www.periodfabric.com/OilCloth.htm

And here is some info on how to make:

Start with a piece of heavyweight cotton canvas. Pick one that already has a print that you enjoy, or you can tie-dye it with fabric dyes, or even stamp it with colored oil paints. Now you need to stretch it, just like you would an artist's canvas. You want it smooth and you want it to hold still. So staple it to a square wooden frame. Now you need to take linseed oil and a paintbrush. You are going to paint the cloth in long strokes, all over the "good" side. Set it aside. It will take a couple of days to dry. Give it a few more coats. If you don't already have a design on it, pause between coats and add some color using oil paints. Add more coats of linseed. After you have a nice thick coating built up and it is thoroughly dry, remove your oilcloth from the frame and trim the unpainted edges, or better yet, turn them under and glue them to make a smooth edge and use your new oilcloth as a floor cloth.

You can also make an item out of canvas and then after the fact dip it in linseed oil and allow it to dry, repeating the process until the article is thoroughly coated. I learned this from the folk on eBay's Dolls Discussion Board. Many vintage doll shoes are made of oilcloth. If you can build the shoe from canvas or duck, you can then coat it and end up with a pretty authentic oilcloth doll shoe.

http://reviews.ebay.com/What-is-REAL...:-1:LISTINGS:5
#6 of 7 Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmommo View Post
I was just going to post about this. I am trying to do the same thing. I read about making oilcloth on this website: www.moscowfood.coop/archive/oilcloth.html

But, I can't seem to find linseed oil, or at least what I have read about it is confusing. Some sites say it is the same as flaxseed oil but I thought flaxseed oil becomes rancid if you don't refrigerate it. Other talk about linseed oil in paints and such but it doesn't seem like that's something I want near my food.

So, I'm really no help but anxious to read anyone else's experience
Linseed oil is flax seed oil. But there are different types. Boiled Linseed Oil is what is used in painting. It has had metallic properties added to it sometimes, so you wouldn't want to use this on anything food related. It is sometimes used to finsih hard wood floors. The metallic particles make it more durable than straight linseed oil. I did a lot of research on this when we were building our house. I ended up with laminate, but I did use flax seed oil to finish my butcher block countertops.
#7 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM

I tried to make my own wrap 'n mats with flaxseed oil last fall, but they never seemed to "dry". Weeks later, they still stunk, and there was no way would my kids have eaten sandwiches wrapped in them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page