Replacing flood light bulbs with CFL bulbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-16-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In our basement, we have sockets which had flood light bulbs in them when we moved in. The sockets are the style where they're recessed into the ceiling. We're down to having only one in place right now (one burnt out and the other bulb got broken) and I'm wanting to get more energy-efficient bulbs to put in there. (I know next to nothing about CFL bulbs by the way! )

DH picked up a pack of CFL bulbs but unfortunately they're only the equivalent of 60W bulbs and don't actually illuminate anything. Will a higher-wattage CFL bulb properly light my basement with this type of outlet? Are there different types of CFL bulbs which would specifically replace a flood light bulb?

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 AM

We use almost only CFL bulbs and I hate them. They are very dim and no, they do not illuminate large spaces very well. I don't know if there's some super CFL that works like a floodlight but could you install CFL lights and keep a floodlight around for when you need it really bright and then just change the bulb? What do you do there in the basement?

Maybe doing some trick with mirrors to reflect the light would help?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 8 Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtob View Post
What do you do there in the basement?
We haven't been using the basement much since it's been a disaster, but I've been spending this week reorganizing it. We've got a couch, a TV, and some toys, so I basically just want a place to hang out with the kids during the day and maybe watch some TV now and again. It's nothing that requires a lot of light, but I'd actually like to be able to see!

There are also a couple of strips of halogen bulbs, but I find that they're only good at lighting the areas directly where the bulbs are pointing.

I really just wish I had a couple of fluorescent tubes down there but I'm not up for doing any renovations right now.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#4 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 AM

You can't see at all with the CFL bulbs? Why don't you get one super-high-wattage bulb and see how that works. It should at least spread a dim light around, although you will feel it is really bright in the other rooms of your house after that.

We are doing major renovations and every time this happens I think- not for another year am I doing so much as replacing a doorknob.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#5 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM

There are flood light cfl's. We use them in our kitchen flood lights. I think they're as bright as the regular floods we have, but the quality of the light is different, so they don't seem as strong.
#6 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 AM

look into the new LED bulbs. they hardly use any energy and last forever. previously, they did not give off much light. but that is changing fast. you can pm me for more info....

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#7 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 12:54 PM

One thing I've found with CFLs, particularly nonstandard ones like floodlights, is that they can take a while to warm up and will be dim for the first few minutes. Sometimes this is fine, other times (like if you are only using them for a few minutes at a time, which might well be the case in a basement) it can be annoying.

Look for "instant on" cfl bulbs. Most standard cfls (i.e. the sort you would use in a table lamp to replace a normal incandescent bulb) are instant on these days, but with a specialty type like floodlights it could be harder to find. You may need to buy them online. Or if possible just use the standard cfls and put up with it looking a little funny.
#8 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine12 View Post
One thing I've found with CFLs, particularly nonstandard ones like floodlights, is that they can take a while to warm up and will be dim for the first few minutes. Sometimes this is fine, other times (like if you are only using them for a few minutes at a time, which might well be the case in a basement) it can be annoying.

Look for "instant on" cfl bulbs. Most standard cfls (i.e. the sort you would use in a table lamp to replace a normal incandescent bulb) are instant on these days, but with a specialty type like floodlights it could be harder to find. You may need to buy them online. Or if possible just use the standard cfls and put up with it looking a little funny.

:
Glad I read the whole thread before I posted the same thing!

User Tag List