Could you live in a house full of bugs? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Could you live in a house full of bugs?
yes 9 3.86%
no 224 96.14%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most bugs don't bother me. We rent and we have lots of spiders and termites. The house has really bad insulation and has so many ways to get in that there's no way to keep them out. I am the resident spider catcher (always have been) and as long as they're not too big I just pick them up with my hand and drop them outside. I know, I'm weird. But I've never been bitten. The only ones I absolutely cannot stand are ROACHES. Gross!!! And unfortunately, we do have those too. I clean like crazy and I have done everything safe to get rid of them and the problem has decreased significantly. But I do see a couple pop up every once in awhile. I would love to move to a nicer place but that would probably mean going up a few hundred dollars in rent, and we can't afford that. This place is way under market for our area already!
#62 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM

I don't really understand how moving is cheaper than paying more money to control the problem. Moving is hugely expensive. I know that you don't have to actually take out walls and flooring, they drill holes and apply insecticide, my parents have done this. If they are really in your walls then you have a much bigger problem than the bugs. Your walls should absolutely not be moist and I'd be worried about mold growth. Is your house new or old? Some newer houses are having issues with moisture in the wall cavity. But it sounds most likely that they are outside your house and coming in from what I've read and that treating the soil and spraying insectide outside as a barrier would likely be effective, although I'm not sure if you've tried that already or not. Is it possible that you have paper insulation in the attic that could be moist? I'd check that out. We do and we had some bugs at one point that dh said came from there.
#63 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Mamas.... can we keep this thread on the positive energy please ..... I started this thread because of an on-going fight that my dh and myself have been having for 4 years....

We have been trying to solve this issue for a solid four years now.....I want out for the sake of my sanity, for my children and the health of my marriage......... we will do everything possible to help the issue in the most positive way.

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#64 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM

:shudder:

Just reading this post is giving me goosebumps, soooo.... NO WAY! I can NOT deal with bugs.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#65 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM

I don't know anything about springtails, do they live outside too? I have read that chickens even being outside reduces bugs inside. We are getting chickens pretty soon, I have lived in the a spider house for over a year and it is getting warmer and I have already been after them.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#66 of 96 Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhanuga View Post
I couldn't agree more.
I was just thinking if somebody came here to post "I just bought a house infested with bugs" everyone would be up in arms yelling and shouting how dare they sell you an infested house.

If I went through that kind of hell I sure wouldn't want to put another family though it. I would find every way I could to solve the problem. and if i still wanted to sell I would definitely mention it to potential buyers.

But it's just me. I guess I'm too honest
:

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#67 of 96 Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 AM

Good luck to you. We once lived with lots of ants. Moved after finding one in baby's diaper. At least yours don't bite..: Wishing you a new bug free home.

Mel
#68 of 96 Old 02-20-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radhanuga View Post
I was just thinking if somebody came here to post "I just bought a house infested with bugs" everyone would be up in arms yelling and shouting how dare they sell you an infested house.

If I went through that kind of hell I sure wouldn't want to put another family though it. I would find every way I could to solve the problem. and if i still wanted to sell I would definitely mention it to potential buyers.

But it's just me. I guess I'm too honest
#69 of 96 Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 AM

no, I could NOT live in a house full of bugs. OMG, how have you lasted 4 years??? yucks...

We also have ladybugs, ALOT of ladybugs. I started a thread about them a few months ago and learned that they leave pheremones when its warm so they can find the warmth again when its cold. I was just in the main floor bathroom and there were 4 of them on the blinds and window, tho that window hasn't been opened for months. They don't bother me tho... spiders or other bugs tho! Nooooooooooo!!
#70 of 96 Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns View Post
I am so shocked that you all are worried about leaving a paper trail and NOT about the fact that whomever buys this house is unknowingly going into a bug infestation. It may not be illegal but it os definetely UNETHICAL.

How do you feel about the fact that you may have been sold this house by people who knew about the infestation?

How do you feel about the fact thta youwould knowingly be putting another family into what you consider hell?

arrghhh, I know mine isn't the popular opinion but I am truly saddened that I am in the minority on this.
What she said.

I am really just floored that so many people don't seem to have a problem with this.
I'm not attacking the OP. I can understand that she is feeling desperate. However, I would expect some gentle advice steering her back towards the question of the ethical dubiousness (is that a word?) of tricking someone else into carrying your burden.
I hope you can find a better solution than simply putting the problem off on someone else. Good luck.
#71 of 96 Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 AM

p.s. I voted no.

My best friend lived in an apartment that was overrun with ants for a few weeks every spring, and it drove me nuts just visiting. They were everywhere. I couldn't imagine waking up at night and walking to the bathroom in the dark, in my bare feet... ugh. And they were in the toilet, for goodness' sake!

I kid you not, my friend was working on her Phd in entomology at the time, and it gave her the heebie-jeebies. Bugs are one thing, infestations are quite another!
#72 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 AM

Just in case your house doesn't sell...I agree that moving is hugely expensive, if nothing else realtor fees are a lot more than I imagine it would cost to have this problem totally taken care of. Our house isn't worth that much and realtor fees and closing costs were going to be around $10,000 (we just took it off the market). If you took out a home equity loan to have the problem totally taken care of, you'd probably still end up spending less money than moving.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#73 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns
I am so shocked that you all are worried about leaving a paper trail and NOT about the fact that whomever buys this house is unknowingly going into a bug infestation. It may not be illegal but it os definetely UNETHICAL.

How do you feel about the fact that you may have been sold this house by people who knew about the infestation?

How do you feel about the fact thta youwould knowingly be putting another family into what you consider hell?

arrghhh, I know mine isn't the popular opinion but I am truly saddened that I am in the minority on this.
I understand wanting to move, I know I couldn't live there, but at the very least you have a responsibility to be honest about the problem with any future buyers. Stop worrying about whether or not its legal and think about how you would have liked to have been treated.
#74 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 AM

Moving and taking out a new mortgage for our "new" house cost us $7,000. It was a huge expense. That doesn't even include the money we paid to a re agent to sell our old trailor.

How about a really good home inspector - NOT a pest inspector. It's advised if you're selling your house (to know what the buyer's inspector will find), and if you move to a new house, you should have that one inspected anyway, so if you get away with just hiring one and staying in your house, you're golden.
I really think it's a house issue - there is a moisture problem somewhere, whether it's a leaky roof, badly sloped landscaping, a plumbing or sewer leak, or bad windows. I think that you could do lots of stuff to moisture seal and insect seal your house. Expanding foam has many uses.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#75 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
We have been trying to solve this issue for a solid four years now.....I want out for the sake of my sanity, for my children and the health of my marriage......... we will do everything possible to help the issue in the most positive way.
Rachel,
I am so sorry for what you are going through. What state do you live in?

The ethical issue may seem grey because the bugs don't do any actual harm. However, to the extent that they thrive on moisture they do tend to suggest that you have some sort of water problem. Which is a huge issue for most buyers these days because that can lead to mold problems.

While it may depend upon the jurisdiction you live in, arguably the previous seller had a duty to disclose something that was not readily discoverable by inspection (because of the time of year). Not only because the bugs hint at a moisture problem but also because people don't like to live with bugs, it creeps them out. And that alone may amount to a "material defect", requiring disclosure, because it affects the value of the property. The mere fact that you want to get out is evidence of that, notwithstanding your husband's attitude.

Again, I'm not familiar with your jurisdiction, but I think it's likely that you may have recovered some damages from the Seller and or their agent if you had made a claim in a timely fashion. My guess is that 4 years is too late but you may want to check with an attorney ASAP just to make sure.

Even if the Statute of Limitations hasn't run out yet you still have the problem of proving how long the infestation has existed, unless you have concrete evidence such as a pest inspection dating back to the first bug season you were living there.

Aside from the ethical issue, I don't think you have the option of not disclosing this since --to use a phrase coined during the Reagan administration-- you don't seem to have "plausible deniability". Especially if you have consulted with any pest inspectors since there would be a paper trail.

If I'm correct then I think you need to take a hard look at the transaction costs involved with the sale of one home and the purchase of another, especially when you factor in any price adjustment to your home due to the bugs. My guess is that you would be much better off taking that money and using it to tackle the bug problem more aggressively.

I would start with checking the grading of the property and making sure it slopes away from the house, removing any mulch or dense vegetation near the house, fixing downspouts, checking the plumbing for any leaks, checking the roof, siding and windows, for any leaks, etc. Hire an inspector with a moisture meter if necessary.

Some of the info from other posters suggests that a spring may be the source of the problem. You may want to check with your neighbors or the town to see if there is one on your property. You may need to build one or more dry wells or some french drains.

I wish I had an easier suggestion.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
~Cath
#76 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns View Post

I so agree! OP, I do not want to flame you, but selling the house without disclosing this is WRONG! It may be actually illegal, but even if it is not, is definitely morally wrong. You may want to just move on, but what about doing the right thing? What about being able to look at yourself in the mirror? What about living with the fact that you've just screwed some other poor family? What about Karma?

If you truly think the previous owners may have known about this, get a lawyer and go after them to get it cleaned up... even if that means tearing down walls, landscaping, etc. If you can't prove it, or it has been too long, get a loan and take care of it yourself. I'd rather live with debt than sell the house to some poor unsuspecting people.
#77 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post

If I'm correct then I think you need to take a hard look at the transaction costs involved with the sale of one home and the purchase of another, especially when you factor in any price adjustment to your home due to the bugs. My guess is that you would be much better off taking that money and using it to tackle the bug problem more aggressively.
This is an excellent point. We were considering selling our home recently and the Seller's Costs (Realtor fees, other fees, taxes, etc.) was over 32K. Add onto that the cost of actually moving (boxes, moving supplies, moving truck, etc.). Moving is not cheap!
#78 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysunshine View Post
I know nothing about the kind of bugs you have, but we live in an area that gets crazy amounts of ants inside during the hot months. Basically from May/June until November or so, we are overrun with the darn things. We deal with it.

That is what we deal with. Dp keeps at me like it is my fault. But no matter how much I clean the ants still come in.

To the op s
#79 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 PM

RachelS,
I did a little research and found something that suggests that there is a 3 year statute for intentional misrepresentatation but there may be a 6 year statute for breach of contract.

Please double check the seller's disclosure form and consider consulting an attorney. Even if you don't have a strong case your claim may have some nuisance value which could defray your expenses.

Columbus Real Estate
Tuesday,* December 18, 2007 2:24 PM
By Ilyce Glink
OHIO REAL ESTATE MATTERS
http://www.columbusrealestate.com/li...ntsellers.html

Q: We bought a home in November 2000, and the seller didn’t inform us of a flooding problem in the driveway when it rains. The inspection didn’t reveal the problem (it was dry at the time). When we realized the extent of the problem, we had to change the pitch of the driveway.

Are we entitled to file a breach-of-contract claim (which has a six-year statute of limitations) as opposed to an intentional misrepresentation claim, which has only a three-year statute of limitations?

A: In some cases, if a seller fails to disclose a defect, a buyer might have the right to terminate the contract before the sale of the home; in other cases, the seller might be liable for the repairs to fix the defect, along with lawyers’ fees.

The best thing for a seller is to be honest and disclose what he or she knows about a home. If the seller is unsure whether a potential defect is material, the seller is better off disclosing the issue.

As for a breach of contract or misrepresentation, you would have to determine whether your contract has any description from your seller on the water issue and your driveway. If your contract contains this, you don’t have a breach-of-contract claim or a claim for intentional misrepresentation.

HTH,
~Cath
#80 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Hey Mamas.... can we keep this thread on the positive energy please ..... I started this thread because of an on-going fight that my dh and myself have been having for 4 years....

mama,
i am really sorry that you have these horrible bugs. that would make me feel crazy too.

but you can't just try to sneakily unload your problem on somebody else. it doesn't matter how much it sucks, how gross it is, how it has made you crazy for the past 4 years.... none of those things make it okay for you to pawn the problem off on somebody else.

honestly, i am quite horrified at how many people on this thread are giving you advice on how to get away it.

it really really sucks, but it's your problem. if you can't fix it and you do sell the house then you have to be honest with your buyers.

again, i am sorry you are in this situation.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#81 of 96 Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 PM

haven't read the whole thread but heres a link of the springtails. BEWARE LOTS OF BUGS
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/springtails.html
#82 of 96 Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM

I googled springtail extermination and found this article: http://www.bugspray.com/article/springtail.html Sounds like getting rid of them is a long term project with lots of toxic chemicals, but I would rather do that then sell the house to some other people and stick them with the problem.
#83 of 96 Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM

No I could not and would not.
#84 of 96 Old 02-23-2008, 01:43 PM

No - your decription freaks me out. I know that all homes have bugs - but you don't usually see them THAT much, right?! Out of sight, out of mind, lol!
#85 of 96 Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM

This made me think of that Oprah episode when she went to this colonial time village for a week or something and it showed how the flies were EVERYWHERE around them while they ate. I just could not do it. I usually do not mind bugs too much but inside my hoem is a different story, so I can understand hwo it must make you feel! When we were homeless a couple years back we had to deal with bugs EVERYWHERE around our food, beds, etc... (we lived in tents) and I know for me one of the best parts of moving into tsi apartment was NO MORE BUGS! Hugs to you! Hope your home sells soon!
#86 of 96 Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you CathMac!! I really really appreciate the info you have posted.... I have made my dh read both of your posts! We are now looking at other options based on what the actual facts are.....

Thank you Mamas for all the great encouraging words. I appreciate this community so much and just absolutely love being apart of MDC.... I am here everyday to learn from all the great caring Mamas on here and enjoy the constant love and support that I have received and given for the last year and a half.

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#87 of 96 Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM

OMG,OMG I could not live with bugs like that! Those things look creepy!

Mama, that would affect me emotionally too!

That being said, I do think it is unethical to sell the house without disclosing the bug issue.

I would be interested to know:

Do your neighbors or other people in your area have this problem too?

If yes, it might just be one of things that happens in your area, if no, there is a problem with your house.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#88 of 96 Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
OMG,OMG I could not live with bugs like that! Those things look creepy!

Mama, that would affect me emotionally too!

That being said, I do think it is unethical to sell the house without disclosing the bug issue.

I would be interested to know:

Do your neighbors or other people in your area have this problem too?

If yes, it might just be one of things that happens in your area, if no, there is a problem with your house.
Yes... this is a problem with my area.... from what I am have heard it is not completely uncommon...

#89 of 96 Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Okay.... I have to address the flamming and name calling of me being unethical.... I would never do anything unethical as I have very high moral and values....

My dh and I have been talking about this since I originally posted.... I have to agree with him on many points... I have a VERY VERY sensitive eye for these things... he has only seen a few bugs.... when I see many...
in addition.... not one single specialist that has been here has ever said that we have a serious issue with the bugs... with most they can't even find them....okay.... maybe I am a bit crazy .... I don't know... could be I guess.... I definitely see them and experience them and hate them...... hmmmmmmm.... maybe now is a good time to mention I have some huge issues with OCD.....

Anyway......I will definitely do everything in this process in a ethical manner.... I may be a bit crazy... but unethical.... definitely not.

#90 of 96 Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 AM

The fact that this is a common problem in your area eases my mind a little bit about the disclosure issue, if you have buyers from within the same area, they may expect the bugs. Do you plan on moving to a new area?

As far as being called "unethical" I don't think anyone is calling you directly unethical at this point. I do think people are expressing their opinion that if you were to sell this house during a time when the bugs were not in season and purposefully not disclose about the bug season, that would be unethical because you would be with-holding information that for many people, would be very important to know. This is my opinion, however, if this is truly a seasonal problem for most residents in your area, then I think the importance of the disclosure is a little bit different.

I know we all don't disclose every little thing about our houses when we sell them but something like a re-occuring seasonal bug infestation is a big deal (obviously, look at the stress it is causing you!).

Most of us don't know what it is like to be in your shoes and I don't think anyone is trying to point the finger. I realize you are just trying to do what is best for your family. But to an outsider (which we all are), selling a house that has a re-occuring seasonal bug infestation without disclosing that information, is wrong. Sometimes we need another set of eyes to assess the situation, even if its not what we want to hear.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page