how much do you pay for maid service? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really considering looking into a housekeeper to come once a week or so while I'm preggo. I'm so tired and I need help!!! Dh doesn't do house cleaning and he works such long hours that I would feel bad having him clean the home too. I'm in central CA if that matters. A lot less then living in Los Angeles. I'd like her to clean our home and do laundry/ironing too. We have a 2 story 5 bedroom just under 3000 square foot home and 4 children.

It will definitely depend on the cost to see if dh and I can afford it but man will it be nice if we can!
#2 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 AM

We are in Cali too (central coast) and we pay $18/hour, which is a deal. The going rate here is $25/hr.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#3 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
We are in Cali too (central coast) and we pay $18/hour, which is a deal. The going rate here is $25/hr.
We pay $20/hr. The wonderful woman who helps us originally charged $15 / hr but most people out here charge $20. So I suggested we gradually raise her rates. Also, I feel people need to earn a living wage.

Nowadays, I wonder if even $20/hr is a living wage. For us, it is a stretch to pay her. But I love her and she's worth every cent. In the end she ends up working overtime and won't except any more money. Literally will not accept it.

After she had worked for us for two years I realized that she also deserved a vacation every year, so I pay the equivalent of two weeks vacation. It works out to essentially four paid days off (since she comes for one day a week).

We also give a Christmas gift of aproximately $100.

HTH.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#4 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM

I pay $60 for 2 ladies to come every other week. They do absolutely everything. We are a family of 5 in a 1,200 square foot one-story home.
#5 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:01 AM

I am in iowa so it is a lot less- $12/hr. But it is totally worth it. When she comes the kids and I do 'fun' stuff like go to the park and out for ice cream. Unfortunately she only comes maybe twice/month.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:03 AM

I pay $100 for 6 hours...16 an hour?
Ask around pay under the table and set a list of what you expect done in that time - laundry takes a long time...best to do family laundry (kleaningladies kill sweaters IME) and ask them to put it away/iron and for them to wash the sheets make the beds again...

8 might be enough
#7 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:26 AM

I'm in western PA, and I used to nanny, but for 2.5 hours/day, I had no "child care" duties - due to naps/pre-school. I got an hour break (paid) and did housecleaning the rest of the time, so, about 12.50/hour housekeeping.

I think the price also depends on whether you mean surface cleaning or deep cleaning and whether you plan to pay hourly or per visit, so to speak.
#8 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 AM

We pay $66 every other week for our cleaning service. They do all the major cleaning - dusting, mopping, bathrooms, kitchen etc. They are usually here 2 hours.
#9 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:30 AM

I pay $20 an hour. She is from the area and housecleans professionally. She is here once a week for between 3 to 4 hours, and does all the deep cleaning. I pickup before she comes.

I researched a bunch before I found someone - from what I read online the services don't pay their workers the best and they are taught to clean for speed as opposed to quality. YMMV.
#10 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
I'd like her to clean our home and do laundry/ironing too. We have a 2 story 5 bedroom just under 3000 square foot home and 4 children.
We have a 2 story 4 bedroom just under 2300 square feet, and 3 children. Our most wonderful housecleaners come one morning every other week (so usually twice per month, but sometimes three if the weeks fall that way every now and then). It is $90 for two people; they are here about two hours I guess. So around $22 per hour. But they don't do laundry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaPia View Post
We pay $66 every other week for our cleaning service. They do all the major cleaning - dusting, mopping, bathrooms, kitchen etc. They are usually here 2 hours.
Hey, I want that price!
#11 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Banned

I think $20-25/hr is standard around here. We paid the woman who used to clean our place $100 for 4 hours (travel time not included) and we paid for supplies. That was at the high end but she was worth it and like a member of our family. DD was so sad when she left for a cushy gig closer to her house. She did laundry and organized too!
#12 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 AM

I'm in Los Angeles, and around here, no one wants to talk "hourly" for jobs like housecleaning or yard cleaning. They negotiate a set price. That way, if they work faster and get done sooner, they don't make LESS money for it. ;-) So all these hourly rates are throwing me for a loop!

We pay our housekeeper $90 per visit to come every other week and clean our house (which is about 2000 sq. ft., but one bedroom and the bonus room are storage that we don't touch). We don't have her do laundry, because we're just too picky about it. Her job is to concentrate on the floors, bathrooms, and kitchen. She's usually here about 5-6 hours.
#13 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I'm in Los Angeles, and around here, no one wants to talk "hourly" for jobs like housecleaning or yard cleaning. They negotiate a set price. That way, if they work faster and get done sooner, they don't make LESS money for it. ;-) So all these hourly rates are throwing me for a loop!

We pay our housekeeper $90 per visit to come every other week and clean our house (which is about 2000 sq. ft., but one bedroom and the bonus room are storage that we don't touch). We don't have her do laundry, because we're just too picky about it. Her job is to concentrate on the floors, bathrooms, and kitchen. She's usually here about 5-6 hours.
Yeah, we pay by the job too, it just usually turned out to be around 4 hours. No one watched the clock. Some agencies here charge by the hour but almost everyone charged by the job.
#14 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas! After thinking about it, although laundry help would be great, it would be tougher because she would have to really get to know the kids clothes as far as who's goes where in what drawers, etc. Our kids are all close in age, so it could get confusing. I'll have to look into what rates I can find around here.
#15 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I pay $16 an hour to the cleaner and $2 to the agency. I have to go through an agency as the service is paid for by my husbands boss. She isn't fantastic. She only surface cleans so I usually do a really good clean half way through the week on my own. With 3 boys, 3 cats, and a puppy I need the help though! If I put a basket of clothes in my dressing room she will hang them up, but she isn't good at putting things away where they should be. jeans are unisex as far as she is concerned lol.
The thing that really gets me is that the house only looks put together for about an hour, then it's hard to tell it was cleaned!
#16 of 24 Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
I'm really considering looking into a housekeeper to come once a week or so while I'm preggo. I'm so tired and I need help!!! Dh doesn't do house cleaning and he works such long hours that I would feel bad having him clean the home too. I'm in central CA if that matters. A lot less then living in Los Angeles. I'd like her to clean our home and do laundry/ironing too. We have a 2 story 5 bedroom just under 3000 square foot home and 4 children.

It will definitely depend on the cost to see if dh and I can afford it but man will it be nice if we can!
I pay nothing. I am the maid service and I should be fired!
#17 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I pay 85 for one woman, she is usually here 4 hours, sometimes longer. Our house is 2800 sq feet, she throughly cleans it, all the normal stuff, plus any smudged windows, wipes down blinds everytime, pictures, etc... Plus she does one extra once a week, something like cleaning out the fridge, wiping down baseboards, peeling off stickers a DD stuck all over the floor.... She provides all the cleaning supplies, she only uses green products.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#18 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Years ago, I paid $45.00 for four hours for one person to clean my house.

Last month, I paid $340 for a service that provided two women to "spring clean" my house, six hours. I worked along with them. I tipped them also.

Yikes!

Ask around.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#19 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 AM

I pay $20/hour, she doesn't tidy just cleans and it takes usually 2 hours every week. I tidy up everyday but don't have the time for bathrooms, wiping window frames, washing baseboards etc.
#20 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 AM

$25/hr but I only get one sporadically when I'm desperate - holidays or big crowd coming into town etc. I think it would be a little less if I were a regular client. It's one woman and she's here for 5-6 hours and she's amazing.
#21 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 AM

I pay $75 per week for our 3 bedroom home. Two or three women come and they are here for 2 hours or so (depending). They don't wash the laundry but I have them fold it all. I just make sure it is all washed the night before. They also do all the dusting, mopping, clean the bathrooms, etc.

I have to say that my favorite thing is having someone fold the laundry. It is a task that would otherwise eat up a lot of my time and get dragged out over the entire week. This way it is all folded and in 20 minutes or so Dh and I can get it all put away in the evening.
#22 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 AM

When I did house keeping on the side 4 years ago in WA I charged $25 for 2 hours.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#23 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 AM

We pay $100 per week for two ladies that are here usually 3 solid hours, sometimes a few minutes more, sometimes a few minutes less. It averages 3 hours though, so $20/hr per cleaning lady. They are worth every penny.

We have 3450 sq ft, 2 story, 5 BR, 2.5 baths, and 4 kids.

They do tons of clutter control, organizing, change all sheets, wash/dry/fold whatever can be done in the time they are here, and clean from top to bottom. I am amazed at what all they can get done in 3 hours.
#24 of 24 Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I did do housekeeping on the side when I was in college. People paid me as little as they could get away with.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page