Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good idea or bad idea?
#2 of 15 Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM

what kind of material? Black enamel, black Corian, or black stone, etc...?

Black enamel, no. The other two I wouldn't have a problem with, and in fact I want a dark stone sink when we redo the kitchen.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 15 Old 02-23-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

We were looking online at black enamel ones, but were wondering if they would look cheesy. We currently have an old white porcelain one but it gets horribly stained from all the coffee we consume.

Black seems like a no-brainer for us, but I don't know what it should be made out of.
#4 of 15 Old 02-23-2008, 09:28 PM

A friend of mine has a stone black sink that matches her countertop. It looks fabulous but she complains at how hard it is to keep clean. She is a neat freak.
#5 of 15 Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 PM

Black does tend to show every single water spot, so unless you wipe out your sink to dry it after each use, you will have spots visible with a black sink.
#6 of 15 Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM

I would vote bad idea. It would show every water spot, dust, grime. Plus if you get something that can scratch, you will eventually see all of that too.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#7 of 15 Old 02-24-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I never even thought about water spots!

So would stainless steel be the best option?
#8 of 15 Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate42 View Post
I never even thought about water spots!

So would stainless steel be the best option?
Eh... stainless shows water spots, too.

A flat black sink like enamel, water spots will be obvious. But a black sink that is not a single color (like most natural stone), you'll have a harder time telling what is water spot and what is natural coloration.

Personally though, I don't much care about water spots... I do care about the fact that my white porcelain sink is actually brown, which is not a problem I'd have with a black sink.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 15 Old 02-24-2008, 05:28 PM

we used to have black counters (not granite or stone).. I would not want a black sink. no way, no how. It's just hard to keep clean. if you're concerned about staining, get a stainless steel sink. I have seen flat black sinks with dark granite counters look really, really nice, but they tend to get 'etched' looking after years of use. the enamel sinks are too shiny for my liking and show dirt really bad.
#10 of 15 Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 AM

we have one, it is soapstone, I love how it looks with the countertops. You don't get that shiny white clean look, but it seems fine. What I don't like is that it is rectangular, no rounded sides and the corners are kind of hard to clean
#11 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 03:11 AM

First of all, don't buy an acrylic sink. I just want to put that out there. Acrylic is way too soft for a kitchen sink.

Your sink is probably enameled cast iron. Your white enamel sink is staining because the enamel has etched. You should not use abrasive cleaners on enamel; once that shiny surface is gone it's just uncleanable. Lots of old sinks have been etched over the years by overzealous cleaning and that's why they have a bad reputation.

A new white cast iron sink -- high quality like Kohler -- will not stain or chip as long as you don't clean it with Comet or Ajax or something on a regular basis. (Don't worry -- an overhelpful houseguest from time to time is not going to do much damage.)

Black composite "stone" sinks such as Moenstone are a good choice although depending on your water you may have a lot of waterspots. Since they are not shiny you won't have quite as much trouble with showing every speck of dust or streak as you would with a black enamel sink.

Stainless steel sinks are super durable and obviously won't stain. They may scratch but scratches can be buffed out. The main drawback to stainless sinks is that some people just don't like the way they look.

Hope that makes sense!

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#12 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM

I clean a lot of sinks (I'm a housecleaner).
You might be bummed to hear this, but, plain ol' white enamel is the best way to go. It really shows far less grime than anything else. It's durable and quiet when the water hits it.
Black shows everything, as does stainless steel (plus, stainless tends to be very loud when the water is running, and contrary to its name, it does stain, plus, if you have real or plated silver anything, and it gets washed with a product containing bleach in your stainless sink, your silver will get black and ruined).

If I could design kitchen appliances, they would all be the color and texture of dried spaghetti sauce.
#13 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have one, it's enamel. It doesn't bother me, I find I have to wipe it down a bit more then when we had another color, but it's not the bane of my existence or anything. My fave sink of all time was a Kohler brown earthy color that they made several years back. We got one for our house we built after they had discounted them, awesome color, it didn't show anything.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 05:26 PM

I have to argue that stainless DOES stain! Mine has coffee stains and rust stains. I can get them out with a lot of work, but they come back. My last one did the same thing. I don't know the this one, but my last one was a Kohler, so it wasn't a cheapy.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#15 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 PM

We have a black composite sink and I love it. I find it much easier to keep clean than the white enamel we had before. And it's speckled, so it doesn't really show spots too much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page