Old floor tile? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has been working on a house we're moving into. Today he pulled up the carpet in the hall and found old tile glued down to the hardwoods! NICE! He pulled a couple of them up before he stopped.

This house was built sometime in the 50s. What should we do? I guess absestos in a concern. Bleh..Any advice?

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 AM

Umm, are we talking ceramic/porcelain tile or linoleum type tile? The latter is likely to contain asbestos and I might also be concerned about the content of the adhesive itself. The former should be fine.

Depending on how uncomfortable you are with removing the tile yourself (that is, depending on how scared you are of hurting yourself) you can remove it yourself (do some research on the best way first), hire an asbestos abatement contractor (expensive!), or just encapsulate the whole shebang under something like new carpet or a floating floor (like Pergo). You can have it tested if you think it might be clean.

Please be aware that if you have something tested and find it to contain asbestos you are probably obligated to tell the people you sell the house to down the line.

HTH!

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#3 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian+1 View Post
Umm, are we talking ceramic/porcelain tile or linoleum type tile? The latter is likely to contain asbestos and I might also be concerned about the content of the adhesive itself. The former should be fine.

Depending on how uncomfortable you are with removing the tile yourself (that is, depending on how scared you are of hurting yourself) you can remove it yourself (do some research on the best way first), hire an asbestos abatement contractor (expensive!), or just encapsulate the whole shebang under something like new carpet or a floating floor (like Pergo). You can have it tested if you think it might be clean.

Please be aware that if you have something tested and find it to contain asbestos you are probably obligated to tell the people you sell the house to down the line.

HTH!
Do you know where one can get a sample tested? I was just talking to dh about this tonight.

#4 of 4 Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
Do you know where one can get a sample tested? I was just talking to dh about this tonight.
I've found testing places in the Yellow Pages, if I recall correctly. You can also find labs that take samples by mail -- google "asbestos testing" for ideas.

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page