plastic bags for dog poo-how can we eliminate this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just got a puppy in january and very gross but puppies eat their own poo so we have to clean it up when she goes in our yard right away. dh uses plastic grocery bags to do this. we were using only cloth bags when we went shopping but now b/c of htis hes getting TONS of plastic bags what can we do differently to stop using plastic bags for this?TIA!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#2 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

get a pooper scooper! or buy degradeable bags
#3 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

yeah we were thinking about the pooper scooper but then how do you throw away the waste?

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#4 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM

I've heard about little septic systems you can bury in your backyard for dog poo. I've heard they work well, but don't know about chemicals involved. Might be worth looking into.
#5 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM

We have a garbage can in our backyard dedicated to dog waste. It's covered and whatnot, so you only get a smell when you open it We line it with a regular garbage bag. When our dog goes, we pick it up with the pooper scooper, and drop it right into the garbage can. Then we put the bag out with our regular trash.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to flush it and not send it to a landfill, but that's just not feasible. Although if someone else has found a way to do this without tracking poop through your house, I'd love to hear about it

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#6 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 PM

I was going to suggest a pooper-scooper too.

As for what to do with it...well, we just throw it over our fence. Don't freak out! It's still our property behind the fence. We don't have our whole yard fenced in, just part of it. I wouldn't throw dog poo in someone else's yard.
#7 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM

We scoop it up with toilet paper and toss it in the toilet. I figure a little tp is better than throwing out a plastic bag. I used to share an office w/ a wastewater expert. I keep meaning to write to him and make sure that the typical ww treatment plant would have no trouble with pet waste. I can't see why it would, though.
#8 of 26 Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post
I've heard about little septic systems you can bury in your backyard for dog poo. I've heard they work well, but don't know about chemicals involved. Might be worth looking into.
The chemicals are just bacteria, so they're actually very natural, not like harsh synthetic cleansers or anything. We used to have one of these systems, and it works great if you don't have clay dirt--clay doesn't let water in and out enough. You put in a couple of tablespoons of the "activator" (that is, the bacteria stuff) once a week along with a gallon of water or so, and it dissolves the poop. Ours would have been perfect, except for our clay dirt didn't allow the dissolved poop to just drain into the rest of the soil, so we tended to get flies. But with better dirt, that wouldn't have happened.
#9 of 26 Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 AM

http://www.nrdc.org/thisgreenlife/08...FQWysgodDx8hRA

Personally we use a doggy dooley. You dig a hole (we used a post hold digger) in the ground in your yard away from your house and your veggie garden if you have one and you put the plastic container (at least ours was made in the USA). You add water and enzymes once a week. Ours has a foot step to open it and it came with a scooper. We have two medium size dogs and it works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Dooley-3000-Se.../dp/B0002DI35E
#10 of 26 Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM

here's a DIY version of what AuntLavender is talking about. i haven't put one in yet (the ground is still frozen here), but i've heard great things about them and it looks simple enough.
#11 of 26 Old 03-27-2008, 12:55 PM

We have a compost for doggy doo, but it may not work if your pup still eats his/her poo. We flush our cat poo down the toilet, though. That seems to be the most economical for us, so maybe it'll work for you.

Have you tried feeding raw? When we switched Clara to raw, she stopped eating her own poo.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#12 of 26 Old 03-28-2008, 04:11 PM

I have heard that it is not safe to flush cat poo in particular. If I had time I would look it up, but it was because of some disastrous effect in the ocean. It was a question I posted a while ago. You might want to look into it.
#13 of 26 Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltonhuynh View Post
I have heard that it is not safe to flush cat poo in particular. If I had time I would look it up, but it was because of some disastrous effect in

http://www.nrdc.org/thisgreenlife/08...ysgodDx8hRAthe ocean. It was a question I posted a while ago. You might want to look into it.
Now, here's the scoop on cat poop. EPA brochures and a variety of other publications say you can flush it down the toilet, minus the litter.

However, research suggests that the eggs of Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite found in cat poop, may survive the wastewater treatment process and contaminate waterways.

While Toxoplasma rarely affects healthy people, it can cause defects and brain damage in babies whose mothers were exposed when pregnant. Brain disease can also develop in people with compromised immune systems.

In addition, Toxoplasma has been shown to harm sea otters and may affect other wildlife as well. As the eggs can last for up to a year in soil, burying cat poop is also problematic.

For this reason, researchers working in the field recommend keeping cats indoors and disposing of waste and litter in the trash in sealed plastic bags.
#14 of 26 Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
Now, here's the scoop on cat poop. EPA brochures and a variety of other publications say you can flush it down the toilet, minus the litter.

However, research suggests that the eggs of Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite found in cat poop, may survive the wastewater treatment process and contaminate waterways.

While Toxoplasma rarely affects healthy people, it can cause defects and brain damage in babies whose mothers were exposed when pregnant. Brain disease can also develop in people with compromised immune systems.

In addition, Toxoplasma has been shown to harm sea otters and may affect other wildlife as well. As the eggs can last for up to a year in soil, burying cat poop is also problematic.

For this reason, researchers working in the field recommend keeping cats indoors and disposing of waste and litter in the trash in sealed plastic bags.

So what type of sealed plastic bag is best? I tie up grocery bags every day after I clean the litter box. So I am stuck getting plastic grocery bags instead of using my own cloth bags for now. Is it better to use a ziploc type bag that will not leak? I mean sometimes the grocery plastic bags have small holes in the bottom....but I throw them into a larger plastic trash bag.
#15 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM

One thing we try to use for our backyard, instead of plastic bags, is dogfood bags.
We also do this when cleaning up the cats litter box.
I'm not sure how 'green' this is, but the food bags seem to be just layers of paper and a thin film.
#16 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalex View Post
One thing we try to use for our backyard, instead of plastic bags, is dogfood bags.
We also do this when cleaning up the cats litter box.
I'm not sure how 'green' this is, but the food bags seem to be just layers of paper and a thin film.
Great Idea! I mean we have to throw the dog food bags away anyhow because we cannot recycle them here.
#17 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM

If you know anyone with a farm that uses bagged feed, you can ask them for some empty bags.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#18 of 26 Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM

Nobody freak or anything, but I always flushed solid puppy poo. If the dog is not huge, you can keep flushing it. You have to clean it up, no matter. If it's in your yard as opposed to having to carry it home from a walk, flushing it is no more difficult than throwing it in the trash...you can use toilet paper to pick it up, or use cloth if you're cloth users.
#19 of 26 Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM

I house/dog sit for a woman who has a chocolate lab. She has an old ice cream bucket that she shovels the poop into and takes it inside to flush. The only problem that I ran into was when it was freezing out and I missed a couple of days of scooping. I kinda clogged the toilet with frozen doggie poops!

Here we are actually told not to dispose of it in the trash for health reasons.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#20 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 05:15 AM

how cool! I had never heard of the little septic tanks! SWEET!! We're gonna need to look into that!
Right now we just get biodegradable poo bags from the pet store...it's a simpler solution because we live in an apartment and don't have any yard of our own, so all poos are when we are 'out' and away from home on a walk or whatever. But we won't be in an apartment forever!!
thanks for this thread!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#21 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSamMom View Post
So I am stuck getting plastic grocery bags instead of using my own cloth bags for now. .
No need to stop using cloth if you don't want to.

We still have a ways to go towards green, but for now we use other people's plastic grocery store bags for dog poo needs. We used to get them from our library's leave a bag. take a bag basket, but you can also get from a friend or neighbor, from freecycle, or even from the plastic recycle bins at the store (might get some weird looks though).

Our next step is probably pay for biodegradable bags, but that's not an option quite yet...

I love all the other ideas though, good food for thought.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#22 of 26 Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM

I just called my dad who is a wastewater superhero and he said he would be very surprised at any negative effects on effluent from dog poop. However, he was unaware of the negative effects of cat poop we hear so much about here in CA with the sea otters and such. He is in the midwest.

We live in the city and so pick up pounds of Newfie poop everyday using biodegradable poop bags.

Here is an article from the NRDC about these issues that seconds what my dad said about flushing http://www.nrdc.org/thisgreenlife/08...FScvagodGRC67g Yea, Dad!
#23 of 26 Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

just get a pooper scooper and put the poo in a bucket then flush it
#24 of 26 Old 04-09-2008, 12:27 PM

That doggy dooley thing sounds great!
But if you wanted to use plastic bags, you could just use ones that other stuff came in, and not have to get any plastic grocery bags at all. We use all cloth shopping bags, but still in my trash I see plastic bags from: bagels, pita bread, rolls, marshmallows, frozen vegetables, frozen fruit, underpants, birdseed, cereal, undershirts, toilet paper (well that's not exactly a bag but you could still pick up poo and tie off the package), apples, celery, carrots.

Jen
#25 of 26 Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM

This was a while ago, so I am not sure if this is bad or not. But our dog had a problem with eating our cats poo. The vet said to put meat tenderizer on the cat's food, that it will make the cat poo taste bad. It worked for us.

My mom has 2 goldens that ate each others poo and their vet said to put yougart on their food, and that did it for them...

I'm guessing the yougrat is probably safer.
#26 of 26 Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

You could try biodegradable bags for dog-poo instead of plastic bags?

BioBags - Dog Waste Bags

(That vendor also sells the Doggie Dooley and the associated enzyme digester.)

Christine, Perpetually Sleep-Deprived Mama to Sylvia (01/2005) and Stefan (07/2008)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page