What do you use for everyday eating dishes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
OMG, my grandmother told me that yesterday and I didn't really believe her. I mean, I thought anything's possible, but I'll have to check that out. She said my aunt used to go garage sale searching for Fiestaware because she had a bunch of it and loved collecting it, but then found out the red dishes were slightly radioactive and got rid of it all (this was a long long time ago, like early 80s when she did that).

How crazy! Good to know that's not a problem any more.
Yes, it was specifically the red if I recall correctly. But I think there was something about the cobalt blue as well. I'm going to go searching and see what I find.

My rule of thumb is still to check the bottom for either 'lead free' or a date after 1974. The really old stuff can be so pretty, but it's not a chance I'm willing to take. I've had great luck with my Fiestaware. I've only broken one cup and 2 salad plates in the last 10 years. They're pretty chunky and hold up very well even if they get crashed around a bit. I don't think I even have any chips in them and we use them every day.
#62 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM

We're worried about lead in dishes now?

Was there a news story recently or something?

I don't even know what we use - my SIL bought us a complete set a couple years ago, before that we were just using goodwill plates. I'm going to be so : if her insistence that we have plates that match brought lead into our house...
#63 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 05:01 PM

We used to use some plain white sets from Crate and Barrel, but now we just use Corelle. It's lighter and easier to handle, and my toddler can handle them without me worrying about her breaking them. She even helps unload the dishwasher. And they are made in the US and lead free. And they stack wonderfully.
#64 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post

I don't know, but my mother warned me about not using certain decorative dishes in the house because they were contaminated with lead. This was back in the '80s. I didnt think this was new, but I have forgotten about it...
#65 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 PM

I found this thread in Mindful Home Management discussing Correll.
#66 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks Jacque! I'm planning on getting some place settings on sale at Macy's right now (they're only like $26 each!) but if I find any at garage sales I'll make sure to check them.

I'm just cracking up that anyone thought it was okay to put radioactive materials in dishes! But then again, lead's not much better and they still think that's okay apparently.

This has been a very informative thread! I love MDC, it's helping me switch out so many things in our house that I didn't even think would be bad for us.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#67 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post

I don't even know what we use - my SIL bought us a complete set a couple years ago, before that we were just using goodwill plates. I'm going to be so : if her insistence that we have plates that match brought lead into our house...
I know what you mean. There's so much to be concerned about, but once you know the facts, it gets a lot easier.

Dishes often had lead in them, but the problem is less of a concern now. I'm talking like back in the 50s and 60s. You still have to be watchful, though.
#68 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
I don't know, but my mother warned me about not using certain decorative dishes in the house because they were contaminated with lead. This was back in the '80s. I didnt think this was new, but I have forgotten about it...
You are correct. It's not new at all. Much of the problem has been taken care of, but like many others have posted, you still need to be an informed consumer to keep your family safe. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but there usually are really good alternatives.
#69 of 78 Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Savageau View Post
I found this thread in Mindful Home Management discussing Correll.
Thank you for posting this!
#70 of 78 Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 AM

call me an IKEA shopper! we got our full set of 6 at Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90116379 they are all so cheap!!! we got bowls, plates and cups.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#71 of 78 Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Sorry I didn't realize there were more posts. I should have been more specific, but its' this one I found online. I think someone mentioned reference to it here earlier, not sure. Oh this was also helpful, but it's first on google in a lead-free dishes search so you've probably seen it.

It's the only thing I found online though and i don't feel like writing a bunch of companies, so I think I'm going to confirm that mine aren't lead free with some tests and then order the fiesta ware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Flower View Post
What is the Utah test????
wow I didn't know that corelle was glass either. I thought I read that it had small amounts of lead? Maybe not. I don't have hours to read all about it so I'm just looking stuff up here and there when I get a moment. It's frustrating when I find out about another apparently insidious thing I need to research and figure out. :/
#72 of 78 Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM

I have some Martha Stewart stuff that I have had for several years that has really dwindled in pieces as my 17-yr old dishwasher (also known as DD) is VERY hard on dishes. I was looking to get rid of all the plastic/ melamine dishes soon and replace everything this year anyway so I am so glad to see this thread. I was thinking about Corelle (at least DD will have a more difficult time destroying all my dishes) but I reallly LOVE the look and feel of stoneware pottery (martha stewart stuff was dirt cheap- they were closing a Kmart).

I think I will look into Fiesta. Is it pretty sturdy or does it chip like stoneware?
#73 of 78 Old 04-08-2008, 02:10 PM

My Mother is a potter so I have a whole set of plates and bowls that she has made me that we use. As for cups we use glass beer mugs from our local brewery and mugs from local pottery artists. Can you tell I live in an artist community.
#74 of 78 Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiewitchie View Post
I have some Martha Stewart stuff that I have had for several years that has really dwindled in pieces as my 17-yr old dishwasher (also known as DD) is VERY hard on dishes. I was looking to get rid of all the plastic/ melamine dishes soon and replace everything this year anyway so I am so glad to see this thread. I was thinking about Corelle (at least DD will have a more difficult time destroying all my dishes) but I reallly LOVE the look and feel of stoneware pottery (martha stewart stuff was dirt cheap- they were closing a Kmart).

I think I will look into Fiesta. Is it pretty sturdy or does it chip like stoneware?

we've had our fiestaware for 5 years with 2 children (they are now 9 and 11.......so they were 4 and 6 when we bought it), and only 1 piece has broken.....by my husband. none of the others are chipped, or even scratched, after 5 years of daily use. they are VERY durable and strong.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#75 of 78 Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 PM

I've had mine 17 years and no chips at all. Some normal scratching and the only things that broke were actually dropped had on the floor. I know a lot of restaurants use them. I'm pretty happy with mine.

I sold Tuppeware for years and I do love the food storage containers, but I'm slowly trying to find better options. I just can't do glass, I drop it all .
#76 of 78 Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 PM

I replaced 2 of the kids plastic plates with the salad size correle plates.

What about glasses? I have plastic for now, but I hate having them drink from them. any thoughts? I have small mugs that a local pottery made but they won't use them.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#77 of 78 Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 PM

We have some beautiful old Johnson Brothers ironware that I have collected used over the years, from eBay and yard sales. Many pieces are chipped and some have cracks or webbing, but that is part of what I like about it--they are vintage and comfortable and broken in. I never pay much for one piece, and I never worry when we get one more knick or chip! But it's pretty, and I like that we're eating on "real" dishes, and I feel good about giving used dishes a new and loving home.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#78 of 78 Old 04-10-2008, 08:31 AM

I use little juice glasses from Ikea for the kids. THey're super cheap and they haven't broken them. My kids are two and four though. When my baby starts I just sprung for a stainless steel set from sanctus mundo. Jillians drawers has them. Pricey but we love them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page